[FM15] Abbey days are here again.

kris0710

0bWKDKn.png

A badge i know and love so well now. The temptation to start a FM15 career with Cambridge United has been there from Day One of purchasing the game but until now i have resisted. With the crash of my previous save and CUFC being all over the sports pages for the recent FA Cup ties with Manchester United i have given in and gone back to the mistress that is The U's.

For anyone that doesn't know the backstory to my love affair with Cambridge you can find all you need to know in the FM14 career thread found HERE.

Here goes....

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0bWKDKn.png

The Set Up

Going pretty simple to start with.

England loaded to Conference North/South

France, Italy, Spain and Germany to the lowest levels available at the start too. I won't be looking to move from Cambridge for a good while yet, if at all.

The Manager

dcEO8wf.png

First Season

With the club just coming from the Conference i will look to make minimal signings in the first transfer window. With the current squad i only need one or two players to give me enough cover but i want the players already here to be given the chance until January. We enter the League Cup at the Preliminary Round meaning a home tie with fellow newly promoted side Luton Town that takes place on July 26th, mid way through pre season. Expectation wise i just want to survive in the league. The cups are not important but any FA Cup run that brings in cash would be a bonus.

Cambridge United :cool: Hope this will be good as your FM14 story :D

That will take some beating but i certainly aim to have as good as time as last year. To start with i am already a league above and my record with Cambridge in League Two is brilliant. One season - Runner's Up! :thup:

0bWKDKn.png

Pre Season - July 2014

First job was to assess the squad and work out the players coming and going.

Transfers Out

IGfm1by.png

Leaving the club was a host of young lads deemed by myself that they would not make the grade here. The club has a host of strikers currently and with my main two formations only needing one man up top four players have been banished to the reserves, hoping they will leave soon. They are Adam Cunnington, Delano Sam-Yorke, Robbie Simpson and Tom Elliott. There are four players away on loan that include Tom Bonner, Nathan Arnold, Johnny Hunt and Mitchell Austin. Finally i have club captain Ian Miller who is injured for the season with damaged achilles tendon.

Transfer In

93bQbRn.png

Just one player joins, right back Roman Michael-Percil. Signed on a free he started his career at Spurs before being released. The club already has defender Harry Lennon on loan from Charlton and forwards Jayden Stockley borrowed from Bournemouth and Kwesi Appiah from Crystal Palace.

The Results

AE4n70u.png

Four games were played before the League Cup tie with Luton and all in all it was good. The first game with Cambridge U21's showed me little really but worth it to give 22 players a run out. A late penalty denied us at Darlington before we breezed past Bishop's Stortford. The final preseason chance was another 1-1 draw, this time with Boreham Wood that saw first choice left back Harrison Dunk tear his hamstring and will see him sidelined for 8 to 12 weeks.

League Cup Preliminary Round

LlS5zPp.png

What a first competitive game in charge it was. A goalless first half changed inside two minutes of the second half with Luton scoring through Luke Wilkinson. Just as Luton were starting to put the pressure on for a second goal we had a period of possession that led to Whittall heading down for Tom Champion to fire in from 18 yards. Extra time saw few chances so it was down to the lottery of penalties. We scored 4 from 4, Luton scored just 3 from 5 and it is us that host Reading in the 1st Round.

Friendlies (Part 2)

Mr2CIc0.png

Two final friendlies saw an easy victory at Carshalton then hold Brentford to a deserved draw. We kick off the new season at home to Plymouth.

Pretty good pre season, good win over Luton, hope you can knock Reading out ;)

All is going to plan so far, as you will see...

Good luck with Cambridge Round 2

Cheers Mod, could be another long journey given my FM15 record so far.

What Championship team got into Europe that you had to play the Preliminary round of the League Cup? :S

None that i know of. I'm as confused as you.

Best of luck with Cambridge :thup:

Thank you, may need all the luck in the world!

0bWKDKn.png

Sky Bet League Two - August 2014

7joG1vV.png

Hugely unexpected start to the season as we sit top going into September. What looked a tough opening day fixture at home to Plymouth was the complete opposite as we were dominant from the start. The opening goal came from right back Tait before a brace from winger Donaldson sealed the points. Plymouth pulled a goal back but the impressive Sam Whittall completed the scoring late on. A topsy turvy game at Portsmouth saw us in complete control after 50 minutes, 2-0 up but the home side scored three in the 15 minutes to lead. Just as it looked like we would return pointless Kwesi Appiah headed his second of the game in the 92nd minute to rescue a deserved point. A trip to York saw the experienced winger Luke Chadwick cut inside and strike a wonderful effort into the bottom corner of the net. Morecambe threatened little as midfielder Champion and centre back Lennon scored in the opening 30 minutes to pick up another win back in the Football League. The opening month ended with a tight win at home to Carlisle, Appiah again heading in for us. We failed to capitalise on plenty of possession and twice late on the away side almost drew level.

tv9uNFb.png

What a start! Early days and i am sure things will chop and change.

League Cup 1st Round

TWHKbc2.png

What a cup tie that was. It was much closer than the score suggests and all players can be proud of their efforts against the Championship side. We fell behind to a header and then Reading went two nil up from a cracker of a free kick 25 yards out. Within a minute the score was halved with winger Hughes scoring then we had a chance just two minutes later to level from the spot but Donaldson's effort was saved. Sam Whittall was sent off with seven minutes to go and the away side sealed the win from the resulting free kick.

Award

YaGBv8e.png

Always a pleasure to win an award. :thup:

0bWKDKn.png

Sky Bet League Two - September 2014

38uq5nE.png

A bit of a come down from last month but overall happy with the points haul, the concern being the goals we have conceded. Kicked off September with defeat at Newport County that went from looking like we would get hammered to being unlucky not to get at least a point. Eleven minutes gone and we found ourselves 3-0 down, two goals from Rene Howe doing most of the damage. At that point i changed formation and ditched the anchor man for an attacking midfielder. The experienced Luke Chadwick excelled from the bench scoring and assisting as we got the score back to 3-2 after 30 minutes. The second half was more and more pressure from us but we couldn't break the Newport back five. A good response came at Dag & Red with a brace from Hughes and right back Tait scoring for us, we could even afford another missed penalty this season, Chadwick missing with us 2-1 up. Things started brilliantly against Exeter with an own goal putting us in front after 40 seconds but within a minute Exeter were level and went on to score two more in the first half and an early second half goal to seal a big win. A dull game with Luton exploded late on as sub Taylor gave us an 83rd minute lead only for the Hatters to level in the 91st minute. The best single 45 minutes of the season came at Wycombe as Jayden Stockley hit three goals in nine minutes and once again right back Tait finding the back of the net. Used the second half to rest a couple of players but we saw the game out with ease, despite Wycombe scoring in the final 15 minutes.

c3mNa65.png

A very tight table after 10 games, three points separating the top seven.

0bWKDKn.png

Sky Bet League Two - October 2014

V2kIvak.png

A poor start to the month that came good in the end. Travelled to Burton and yet again despite the good results we are easily torn apart from time to time. If we had lost 9-1 i could not have complained at all. Struggled to really get going against Oxford despite leading through centre back Lanzoni but after the last defeat it was certainly a point gained. As we went to Mansfield i made an adjustment to our tactics, going from counter to defensive and despite conceding twice we were much solid as a unit and pur attacks appear to be of a higher quality. With both wingers on target and then sub Appiah adding a third there is much to be excited about. Once again it was the wingers that did the damage at home to Cheltenham as Donaldson and Hughes scored one apiece taking their joint tally to 10 for the season. The month came to a close with a win over Hartlepool that was pretty Jekyll and Hyde to be honest. Terrible in the first half we were a goal down but three quick goals after the break put us in control. We even missed yet another penalty before Hartlepool converted their own spot kick with just 20 seconds of stoppage time left.

fLGy81u.png

Still top of the tree. I am waiting for the wheels to fall off but still we roll on. Next month does see us face 3rd placed Northampton and 4th placed Accrington.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy Southern Section 2nd Round

obgFGLL.png

Defeat to the League One side is not too disappointing at all. With the small squad we have a run in this competition was never something i really wanted. The biggest shame was we let a 1-0 lead slip, Bobby-Joe Taylor picked up a month long injury and the winner for the Gill's was an own goal from Lennon.

0bWKDKn.png

Sky Bet League Two - November 2014

X04TrN5.png

A cracker month for us, very solid at the back and picking up three wins from four. Started with a point at 11th placed Bury in a 0-0 that had four goals disallowed, both sides hitting the woodwork and plenty of chances too. A big Friday night clash with Northampton saw us come out on top of the battle of 1st Vs 2nd thanks to an 87th minute winner from sub Adam Cunnington. When appointed i dumped AC into the reserves and tried to sell him but with no luck. With Stockley only scoring three (all in one game) and Bird playing dreadful in his four appearances Cunnington has been brought back into the fold and made a good impact from the bench. The following day 3rd placed Portsmouth drew at 4th placed Plymouth so we had a four point gap at the top. A trip to 5th placed Accrington saw another top defensive display with the added bonus of debut loan signing George Ray knocking in at the back post. We ended the month at AFC Wimbledon and put in the best showing so far under my management. It was a joy to watch and the opening goal a 30 yard free kick from Sam Whittal before the same player won a penalty that sub Cunnington converted.

lL3exQz.png

Six points clear. Stunning.

FA Cup 1st Round

35jrrQg.png

Disappointing to be drawn at a League One side and with games against Northampton and Accrington to come in the league i rested a few players. We actually played better than the score suggests without really looking like upsetting the odds. Just the league campaign to concentrate on now.

Transfers

George Ray has joined on loan from Crewe for two months as we have let centre back Coulson go away on loan to Barnet for a month. Also this month i came to an agreement with striker Robbie Simpson for his to terminate his contract. The hope was also to bring in a centre midfielder but three offers came to nothing sadly.

0bWKDKn.png

Sky Bet League Two - December 2014

GN2YKnW.png

A good start to December was ruined towards the end but all in all a great 2014 for Cambridge. Started the month with a solid win over Shrewsbury, a single goal from Appiah but we restricted the away side to just one long range effort all game. Similar story at Tranmere as the opposition tested our keeper just once but struggled to create much ourselves. That was until the final fifteen minutes which saw us score two and have another two disallowed. Failed to break the Southend defence and a much better second half from the visitors saw them take the points with a header from a corner just past the hour mark. The year ended with more disappointment as struggling Stevenage held us with a goal from Ashton in the 80th minute, their only effort on target. I take full blame though, keeping the same 11 in from two days earlier fitness played a part in the late leveller.

21SRZOV.png

A great advantage but my worry is around the loanees for next month. Kwesi Appiah, Harry Lennon and George Ray all have loans expiring and have been key for us this season.

Manager News

7ii3wAy.png

The final day of the year saw the club offer me another season here. Snapped their hand off.

0bWKDKn.png

Sky Bet League Two - January 2015

5Gp4cZQ.png

Once again not the most stunning of months but one defeat a month suits me from now until May. The New Year started with a home win over AFC Wimbledon and a closely fought draw at Carlisle. Just about deserved four points from the two games as our title push keeps rolling on. Came from behind to beat Newport but it really was not a deserved three points. We were woeful and only a goal from Cunnington and sub Kirby was enough, the winner coming in the 89th minute. Twice behind to Dag & Red we again struck late, 91st minute, this time to salvage a draw with another sub, Hughes on target. Luton won the derby and deserved so, created far more chances and kept the ball much better. After that month i am delighted to come away with the points haul we did.

QXL0Vq9.png

The lead has been cut but it is still ours to lose with 18 games to play.

Transfers

Firstly the loanees, Harry Lennon has extended his stay until the summer but we have lost both Ray and Appiah. Johnny Hunt, Tom Elliott and Michael Nelson all agreed to terminate contracts leaving me with just Delano Sam-Yorke and Ryan Bird at the club but not in my plans. Tom Bonner came back from his loan at Dover and is straight into the first team picture. Not the happiest of players he made the most of being out of contract in the summer by agreeing to join Aberdeen in June.

We brought in two new players on loan during January, Jake Kirby from Tranmere and Ian Lawlor from Man City. Kirby will get game time as he will rotate with Hughes and Donaldson on the wings while Lawlor gives real competition to keeper Dunn. Back up keeper Will Norris has joined Nuneaton on loan for a couple of months.

0bWKDKn.png

Sky Bet League Two - February 2015

TwXomIr.png

Another mixed month but keeping with the 'one defeat a month' policy we stay in the title hunt, much to my amazement. Twice behind at home to Wycombe but goals from loanee Kirby and sub Donaldson with two minutes to go grabbed that vital point. Lost out at Exeter after completely dominating possession we really lacked punch going forward. That was not the case at Plymouth as a goalless 66 minutes the match exploded with 6 goals in the final 23 minutes. Led through Donaldson before the home side drew level. Substitute Delano Sam-Yorke, brought in from the cold following last weeks display at Exeter, scored twice in four minutes before Plymouth got another back. In the final few seconds Dunk sealed the win from a corner. A clash of two of the top three was next with Portsmouth visiting us and we led early on from Cunnington but Pomey drew level soon after. The second half was a nothing 45 minutes to be honest but happy to take the point and move on. Once again we needed a late goal to get the desired result, captain Champion breaking Morecambe hearts after Kirby had drawn us level.

08bH8wx.png

For the first time in updating we aren't top of the table. A five point buffer to 4th placed Accrington is handy though.

0bWKDKn.png

Sky Bet League Two - March 2015

YITI8Nr.png

A big two months coming up starts well enough, three points at home to York then held by Shrewsbury but as per usual we didn't look like losing. A big game with Stevenage followed, most of the ball, good chances but really lacking that final piece of the jigsaw. Goals from Sam-Yorke and Hughes seal the victory although we were helped with Stevenage having ten men for 63 minutes. The single defeat for March came at home to Tranmere who countered us superbly and made the most of me making six changes to my side. Back to full strength for the Southend game we were four minutes from a great away win but a blunder by loanee keeper Lawlor let in Weston to level and deny us two points.

mDfe0NX.png

Three off the top but a game in hand. Concentrating fully on Accrington if i'm honest, 7 clear with 24 points to play for and we host them in the 3rd game of April.

Youth Candidates

IqQ5J8S.png

Martin Moore

Michael Savage

koQr8v4.png

We've done it. A week longer than it should have been but a 2-1 victory over Mansfield seals promotion.

pZOTPvU.png

Incredible feat - I fully agree.

fI3QB4S.png

12/1 and 9th favourites at the start of the season. Very proud.

Phfm5ZJ.png

No plans to leave for many years yet. None at all.

0bWKDKn.png

Sky Bet League Two - April and May 2015

lxO0GUX.png

A busy end to the season brought us promotion - but does it bring the title? April kicked off great with a late comeback win against Bury then easing past Northampton. Hosted Accrington knowing avoiding defeat would almost seal promotion so collecting a point after going behind was more than good enough for me. A win over Cheltenham would take us up but for a 91st minute header we would have been celebrating. Had to wait a few days to see off Mansfield to guarantee a top three finish then came the race for the title. A tight defeat at Hartlepool then a 2-1 loss at Oxford took the title to the final day. We were held by Burton so the season ends with a poor little run but half a dozen players have been running on empty for weeks.

gIpu7iG.png

It was enough. CHAMPIONS!!

0bWKDKn.png

Sky Bet League Two - End of Season 2014/15

Sky Bet League Two

Champions. Deservedly so. We spent most of the season top and were never out of the top four all season long.

FA Cup

Out at the first time of asking, defeat at League One Colchester who went out in the 3rd Round away to Newcastle.

League Cup

Made the 1st Round but beaten by Reading after seeing off Luton on penalties in the Preliminary Round.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

Fell to League One Gillingham in our first match. Never a competition i wanted to have a run in to be honest.

Finances

The board have upped the wage budget for next year to £34k per week but nothing is available for transfers. The current balance is £134,788.

Squad

Already 11 players have been released, a month before their contracts expire. We will also lose loanees Kirby, Lennon and Lawlor with three more fringe players looking for a way out. That means i am looking for around 12 players in the summer.

| Season  | Club              | Division           | Pos | Record                                                  |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2014/15 | Cambridge United  | Sky Bet League Two | 1st | Pld 50 Won 24 Drew 14 Lost 12 For 76 Against 59 Win% 48 |

Might be a bit quicker this time round Kris.

It has been a quicker start by around 8 years! Most impressed with all the Steam achievements being unlocked as this is my first promotion on FM15.

Yeaaaaahhhh Kris is back :thup:

I am, back where i belong too.

0bWKDKn.png

Pre Season - July 2015

Expectations

Personally the cups matter little this season, the sole aim is to stay in the division. Short and sweet.

Transfers Out

5tnZeTI.png

It looks like a quiet summer but thats far from it. After sealing the title 11 players were released immediately and were joined later on by four more going.

Transfers In

D8umHcc.png

Where to start here...

Kwesi Appiah - Enjoyed a good loan spell here last season and was missed when his spell ended in January. Jumped at the chance to sign his permanently.

Emmanuel Oyeleke - Released from Brentford without really playing last season he joins as back up in centre midfield.

Charlie Wyke - Another who has failed to get regular football his trial went well with us and he will do as 3rd choice frontman.

Louis Rowley - Hoping he won't play much as Harrison Dunk is very much my choice at left back but Dunk struggles with fitness so Rowley should get feature plenty.

Harry Lennon - Was excellent for us last year on loan ans was one of the fist deals i went for this time around. Will start the season as first choice centre back.

Lasse Kjaerbye - Not a world beater but scouts speak highly. Won't be involved in the 1st team much to begin with though.

Adam Dugdale - Wanted experience at the back and Adam gives us that. 30 games in League One for Crewe last season is a good return.

Lee Holmes - Another with plenty of experience and his pre season has been top notch. Key player for us for sure.

Michael Timlin - Keeping with experienced players Timlin gives us options in centre midfield. Almost ever present for Southend last term.

Steven Hewitt - Signed following our recent link up with Burnley. Made two PL appearances for Burnley last season.

Danny O'Brien - Released from Aston Villa he was excellent in the Conference for Bristol Rovers last season, helping them to a 6th placed finish. Had a good pre season here he is really knocking on the door to start our opener away to Portsmouth.

Zach Clough - Tried to sign on loan last year but chose Tranmere instead. Ran my defence ragged in both fixtures and he was my main target this summer.

Ian Lawlor - Loanee keeper last season from Man City joins permanently this time. I have a big choice as to which keeper to go with.

The Results

V4KYw2P.png

Perfect pre season preparations. No real injuries, plenty of clean sheets and win after win. Most were expected but still.

Great Start. What tactics are you using? I am always interested in how others approach FM games. I want to start a career update but am afraid my tactical thinking will be ridiculed since I NEVER win a league.........

I read some of the old CU Update.

Great to see you back home. A stylish comeback too. :thup:

Wasn't the expected season but i will take it and run!

Great Start. What tactics are you using? I am always interested in how others approach FM games. I want to start a career update but am afraid my tactical thinking will be ridiculed since I NEVER win a league.........

I read some of the old CU Update.

My tactic changes constantly to be honest. The base is a 4-1-4-1 but i regularly play at least one of my MR/ML in the AMR/AML position. My DM tends to be on Anchor Man duty for 75% of the games but if i come across an opposition who play without an AMC then he tends to be given Regista role. The DR/DL change from FB's to CWB's and from Attack to Defend duty depending on the opposition and what role i give the DM.

I played the first three months of last season playing Counter/Flexible then switched to Defensive/Structured. It is the first time i've tried to create something that brings 1-0's rather than 4-3's and it worked well enough last season.

0bWKDKn.png

Sky Bet League One - August 2015

KkXwYGM.png

Happy enough with that first month of the season to be honest. Started with a goalless draw against fellow promotees Portsmouth then came the defeat to Blackpool. A goal up with 20 left to play i was confident we would collect three points but four goals in a fourteen minute spell totally changed the game. Managed to grab a late consolation but the damage was done. The perfect reaction to that came at home to Bradford with goals from Kjaerbye and Lanzoni, both from corners that the opposition failed to clear. Another four goals were conceded at Oldham who really did put us to the sword. August came to an end with O'Brien scoring twice in the last twenty minutes to beat Sheff Utd. With the game goalless the away side missed a penalty before taking the lead just after the break.

tZBJ6mK.png

Mid table after five games, would take that after another 41 games.

League Cup 1st Round

LXIQMGg.png

Defeat at league rivals Walsall was not unexpected as they have strong start to the season. Along with the JPT this competition means nothing this season.

hAycaJp.png

In the summer Director of Football Jez George left the club once his contract had expired. During August i decided to change the decision about having a DoF from myself to the chairman and within weeks Steve Coppell was appointed.

Congrats on the title and best of luck for the new season :thup:

Cheers B.W.G. Going better than expected so far, much to my surprise.

Does a Director of Football really do much in the game?
Not most of the time in my admittedly very limited experience but they're worth it for the occasionally great signing they do make.
Is a Director of Football like a General Manager? Unless you automate signings (give responsibilities) it is a useless position. Since most players like to have "control".

Do they do much? Depends what you want from them. I personally don't use them at all but as the club had one employed at the start i wanted to leave it to the chairman to decide the fate of that role. As the club philosophy is around promoting youth players the only jobs i've given to Coppell is around that. It may seems a waste but to me it keeps the realism up as a manager i wouldn't decide if there is a DoF.

0bWKDKn.png

Sky Bet League One - September 2015

M3lUwBs.png

A really solid month as seen us keeping pace with the top rather than the bottom. A draw at Chesterfield was a decent result and that was followed up with a great win over league leaders Walsall. We had much less possession than normal matches but kept enough players behind the ball and countered brilliantly to win 3-0. Led twice at Scunthorpe but again had to settle for a point in an away game. Two first half goals saw off Colchester despite a late goal from the visitors we held out for the points. A third away draw this month came at Swindon in a game that saw Harry Lennon sent off on the hour mark.

6b8S30T.png

Happy days so far. :D

Johnstone's Paint Trophy Southern Section 1st Round

ejn7rrt.png

A good win against league rivals Portsmouth was even better given midfielder Timlin was sent off after 20 minutes with us a goal behind already. Came back strong with left sided players O'Brien and Dunk seeing us through.

Transfer

Denny Johnstone joins for a month from Birmingham as we are without Zac Clough, Charlie Wyke and Lasse Kjaerbye for most of the next five weeks.

0bWKDKn.png

Sky Bet League One - October 2015

Jy3EICw.png

A busy month but plenty of positives for us. Kicked off October with a win over Brentford after coming from behind to seal a 2-1 victory. Unsurprising we drew away from home, this time at Port Vale with both goals coming in the first fifteen minutes. A goal in the first and last minute of the opening period was enough to see off bottom club Preston. A brace from Lee Holmes ensured a point at MK Dons as we drew for the 6th time in 7 away games. Our unbeaten run ended at home to Leyton Orient as we paid the price for loanee Hewitt's red card just after the break. Came back strong as the month came to an end with three points at Coventry thanks to goals from the returning Clough, his first competitive goals for us.

iJmo69p.png

Into the Playoffs and just a win from the top. Am i dreaming?

Johnstone's Paint Trophy Southern Section 2nd Round

HYmjPFq.png

Out of the competition but the main talking point is Michael Timlin. Sent off on his debut in the last round after 20 minutes he lasted just 11 minutes in this his second start. :rolleyes:

Record

mw9Gnsw.png

Archived