Youth players always the same position

I'm a few seasons (end of 21/22 season) into a game, and trying to rely on youth. I've noticed that each year I seem to get pretty much exactly the same type of players. The best players are almost universaly AMC, ML or DC. Does anyone else get this? I've had the same Youth Director for several years, and he's the one who picks who does the recruitment, so I wonder whether that's it? It seems quite bizarre, not to mention a little bit annoying that I have a great selection of ML, but barely any SC, let alone decent ones! Any thoughts?

I think it's related with the club. I'm coaching Benfica, and I seem to mostly get AMC and DC, and it relates to real life, as most of the best youngsters seem to play in those positions. On the other hand, Sporting mostly gets wingers, again relating to real life and Porto gets MC and Poachers.

But I don't know if it's randomness, I just observe this pattern alot.

Lol year my arsenal save keeps producing good acm

There was one time i produced a world beater and was so happy then the game crashed lol

I spent the whole day restarting trying to get that world beater back... it didn't work

I tend to get a lot of left midfielders/wingers, and almost every year i only get 1 striker.

It's been like that with most clubs in my only save, regardless of staff preferences.

I prefer 4-4-2 and hire staff accordingly.

I'm still playing FM2013, but I also noticed the same.

I think it's a little bug, maybe not very annoying but still.

At the moment, I manage Victoria Plzen Czech Republic, Premier League) and I tend to be getting loads of good target men and center backs and a few less left or right backs.

I hardly get central midfielders or wingers...

Potential stars is also dependant on the quality of the first team player in that position, so, for example, it could be that you keep getting "amazing" left midfielders because you dont play with wide midfielders and dont have any in the first team. The youth product will then have 4 star + in potential because it would be the best wide midfielder at your club. In those cases the black stars don't account for anything.

Reminds me of a really frustrating game I had back on CM2 (I think) where I had 8(!!!) quality Goalkeepers promoted to my AC Milan first team from the youth team - back in the days when squads were limited to 22ish. That was no fun trying to play out a season with 8 keepers i couldnt sell in a short transfer window!

I don't have a Director of Football, but the Head of Youth Development has ma preferred formation of 4-4-2.

I'm glad it's not just me that is having this slight problem! I wonder whether in the future it would be possible to have some sort of system for establishing preferences for bringing players through in certain positions.

Obviously not a massive issue, but I'd like to be able to bring through a striker all the way from youth to the first team!

Actually not a glitch/bug. I remember in earlier games that it was deliberately done, E.g. English teams would more likely produce midfielders who were box to box type while spanish are more likely to get creative midfielders (not all just a trend) I'm sure it happens with teams, Man U often produce wingers under Sir Alex

• 6 months later...

For those interested, my team continue to pump out players in exactly the same position. My youth squad groans with potentially world class AMCs, MLs and DCs, but aside from the glut of strikers I got one season, I have not produced any that are evenly moderately decent. I bought the in-game editor and fiddled around with the Head of Youth Development's stats, but even this didn't seem to have an impact. It does strike me that in future it might be worth allowing the player to choose an emphasis for youth recruitment at the beginning of the season - essentially telling whoever it is that is looking for talent to focus in a certain area.

Sometimes changing your HOYD will effect the type of regens you get.

Why not convert some of those wide players to right side inside forwards, or train their weak foot; make those AMC false 9's and have a strikerless formation, have 3 at the back, you might be wise to change tactics to suit your players.

I have noticed this for a long time as well. It has been behaving strangely for a number of years now.

I can't see why this should happen as a 'feature' because it reallly sucks.

In my current game, I constantly produce potentially world class strikers, and fairly high potential left backs. It seems to be almost impossible to generate high potential players in any other position.

Edit: Just to clarify, in previous saves/versions it has been other positions. I had only high potential AMCs in a previous save.

Archived