FMH15 - too unrealistic

I'm posting this thread to see if anyone shares my frustration with FMH15?

I played last years version and really liked it. I don't get much opportunity to play nowadays and found it a simple enough version to play and enjoy in the limited time I have. The new version is just awful by comparison.

The problems are that no tactics seem to work for more than a few games and results are just unrealistic. I read on another thread (from someone working for SI games) that there is no 'fixing' in the game. I decided to test it.

My teams always seemed to struggle against opponents in the relegation zone. In one season managing a top 5 team I played 6 teams who were bottom of the league at the time. I drew one and lost five! In some of these games the bottom placed team were bookmakers favourites. It's as if the bookmakers knew something!

My other annoyance was my team losing form at crucial points of the season. Again I tested this with a Forest team that I had got promoted to the premier league. In my second premier league season I was 4th with 8 games left. I had lost 7 games all season and there was a 12 point gap to 9th place. 6 games (and defeats) later My team was 9th in the league and I got fired. The run included my obligatory defeat to a bottom placed side!

I have no problem with the game being testing and I know that football can be unpredictable but quirks like this just ruin enjoyment of the game. If there no 'fixing' then the game is just poorly made - neither case is a victory for the games producers though.

Hopefully SI can listen to feedback and release an update that takes it back to a bit more of the 2014 match engine with the added 15 features.

Maybe it's just me. Anyone else finding these issues?

• SI Staff

Firstly if you prefer the 2014 match engine then if you look in preferences you CAN switch to using that, the 2015 one is a brand new engine and somewhat slower and more in depth than the old one so we knew that some people might have trouble adjusting to it.

With regards to its realism I think the new one is pretty good, but as with most new engines it will be evolved and tweaked during the support of the game this year - the next update is in progress and will resolve some such issues.

Thanks for the response.

It's good that I can switch to the old engine but then I lose stuff like the highlight speed which is a shame.

In reference to my original point, it's nothing to do with the game being more in depth, it's the fact that the decisioning is not logical. A top four side would beat a bottom three side more often than not. A team does not always fall apart when on the cusp of winning something.

I have also totted up the shot to goal ratio over a number of games. On average it takes me ten chances to score one goal. It only takes my opponent four.

That just makes it feel like I can't win. I have created a team that usually has more than 50% possession and has more opportunities than the opposition. My strikers have shooting ratings of at least 18. What can I change to give me more of a chance? It feels like the engine works perfectly up to a certain point (possession, chances) but then something else kicks in to override the expected outcome.

please don't mistake me, I love the game as I have since I started playing championship manager 2 about 20 years ago. The desktop game got a bit too time consuming but this is a really nice lite version - it just needs an update to make the 'against the run of play' outcomes a little less frequent.

• SI Staff

I'm constantly tweaking the match side of things and play the game a LOT myself - so it will be further balanced in future updates, however I do think that the current new engine isn't hugely out presently (from my own experiences and feedback from others) ... however it has been tweaked somewhat for the next update.

PS - Things to bear in mind (1) If you're a big club expect other clubs to sit back and counter against you, take that into consideration tactically, (2) Don't underestimate the effect of set-pieces, make sure you setup the takers properly - no you won't score dozens of goals each match from them, but a single goal can make all the difference in the world ...

Thanks for the hints Marc. Both fair shouts but like I say my issue isn't finding ways to dominate games it's that the outcomes don't seem fair and realistic when I do.

If I create 15-20 shots a game and my opponents create 5 then I would expect to win more often than not. Maybe I'm a bit naive in not changing my approach during matches but then I don't want each match to be a game of chess where I only ever scrape one nil wins.

You clearly have a number of fans who want this game to require hours of attention to detail and tactical manoeuvring but I think there are also a lot like me who want it to be a little less challenging and a little more true to life - if a superior team controls a game they win more often than not.

I also play the game Cricket Captain. This has two difficulty settings. Why not do this for the app based game? That way you cater for the hardcore addict and the more casual user.

Please let me know if you update this to address the probability. The game is perfect in almost every other way and reminds me of the golden age of Champ Man, just not the matches.

Cheers

bare in mind that when playing poorer teams they will sit a lot of players behind the ball hence making you shoot from long range meaning scoring will be harder! whereas if they are counter attacking they will have more space while breaking to create better chances meaning their being a lower chance to goal ratio.

therefore its a perfectly logical chances to goals ratio! also don't play the likes of inside forwards as they will cut in and shoot a lot and waste chances that way also

this isn't me giving you tips its me giving you reasons why it may SEEM your dominating a game but really its just thast your team has more shots and that doesn't always mean your dominating a game

Archived