[FM15]Knocking Fergie off his perch. The noisy neighbours are turning up the volume

Northernpilgrim

This is my latest attempt at a Football Manager career save, and as the title suggests, I'm going to attempt to surpass the achievements of Alex Ferguson, and make Manchester City the dominant force in English football.

Here is my profile. I've decided to set myself up as a fully qualified manager, but with no prior playing experience.

JamieSheehan_zps7b926380.png

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There isn't a big budget to spend in January (the board seem terrified of FFP), but clearly the major area needing improvement is central midfield. I am playing the way I am because it uses our best players in their best positions and roles. I think our erratic results may be because we don't have a more defensive minded player in central midfield, and hopefully the addition of a more solid midfield structure might help us out. Does anyone else have any thoughts or advice on this?

If your formation is still the same, maybe look at being a bit more attacking with an AMC in the side. Two of your best rated players (Silva & Nasri) play best there and you may get more out of them and Aguero with a bit more support through the centre. It means your two CMs may have to be a bit more defensive, but given the attacking talent you have, it could be a way forward?

March could have been so much better. We were the better side against Everton and Liverpool, and should have won both because we had so many chances and shots on target. We deserved a draw against Arsenal too, but it wasn't to be. I'm beginning to wonder whether not having any experience is counting against me, but I'm going to keep going with this save unless I get fired.

I've actually ditched that tactic following the loss to Arsenal, and am using a 4-2-3-1 I built myself. It's not a settled tactic yet, I'm still tweaking it, but I'm hoping that, with a signing or two in the summer, it'll be the springboard to success for next season.

A decent recovery in the end. ;)
Thanks Lenzar. I'm hoping that I can get a couple of players in over the summer to improve the squad, and that the new formation will be the springboard to success. But either way, given that my objective is to win more trophies than Sir Alex Ferguson did with Man Utd, I'm ahead of where he was after one season in the job :)

Yeah, one goal conceded in three league games is terrible.
I was referring to the 6 we conceded against Roma and the 5 in the Super Cup. There are certainly no concerns about our attack, but defensively I'm not so sure. I need to bring in some English talent too, the rules on home grown players are making it difficult just to get a squad together.

Near perfection in the league, with 3 wins from 3 and just one goal conceded. A tough start but great display in the Champions League (we had to play for over an hour with 10 men, having gone 1-0 down to a soft penalty just 2 minutes earlier), and a totally undeserved cup exit. The season is shaping up nicely

Sep2015_zps41ce22e0.png

Sep2015table_zps5995b11c.png

The defeat to Liverpool was absolutely deserved, their 3-0 win matching almost exactly their domination of the stats. The draw with Bayern was a result I'd have bitten your hand off for (and probably mine too) ahead of the game, but we dominated in all areas and deserved to beat them as comfortably as Liverpool beat us. We had the lion share of possession (56-44), shots (25-3) shots on target (10-2), and yet only claimed a draw. Sergio Aguero was the main culprit, wasting loads of chances on a poor night for him (5.9). The kind of game that induces rage quits and rants about how unrealistic FM can be.

The Chelsea game was equally frustrating, and another utterly undeserved defeat

Chelsea_zpsba4704fc.png

I was referring to the 6 we conceded against Roma and the 5 in the Super Cup. There are certainly no concerns about our attack, but defensively I'm not so sure. I need to bring in some English talent too, the rules on home grown players are making it difficult just to get a squad together.

A friendly and a cup that doesn't really mean a lot.

Looking at the Saints game, I'd say you probably went too attacking. Looks like the classic example of a team sitting back and waiting to make a quick break and it worked, at least judging from the stats.
So what would you suggest? I've changed mentality to standard and removed the 'push higher up' instruction. Is that what you had in mind, or were you referring to player roles/duties?

A decent January, albeit with a disappointing defeat to Nottingham Forest. I made the changes outlined in the previous post for the Crystal Palace game, so it'll be interesting to see if it has the desired effect

Jan2016_zps831ecc67.png

and we're back on top of the table again

Jan2016table_zpsf2b79f66.png

So what would you suggest? I've changed mentality to standard and removed the 'push higher up' instruction. Is that what you had in mind, or were you referring to player roles/duties?

I have no idea, I'm not actually very good at FM (as you will see if you read my career save thread). It was just was stuck out looking at the stats.

Archived