Quick question about non-eu players

Hello all.

In the french league your only allowed to play 4 non-eu players. But after a certain amount of years will those players become declared as French nationals so they're no longer considered foreign players? This happens in other leagues/countries doesnt it?

Yes, that's why it is useful for bigger clubs to get feeder clubs with shorter citizenship rules. Not sure it still is but Spain had the King's rule with only a 2 year citizenship period.

Yeah. How do I find out exactly how long it takes before they become a french national ?

I should add it's still up to the player that they would apply for citizenship so it's not guaranteed. Most will but the older ones may not see the point although I think you have an option to ask them in conversation where applicable.

Yes, that's why it is useful for bigger clubs to get feeder clubs with shorter citizenship rules. Not sure it still is but Spain had the King's rule with only a 2 year citizenship period.

That's only for latin-america countries though. It's 5 years for everyone else. So if your main source of players is asia or africa, Spain isn't much of a help.

A lot (and I mean a LOT) of African countries are regarded as EU-national countries in France. So you don't have to worry about those players. And for latin american players you can always ask for a work-permit club in spain. Those African players do get a French nationality after 5 years btw.

Archived