How to stop wingers/inside forwards from cutting in

Hello all.

I've got an annoying problem with memphis depay cutting in from the wing and shooting. Most of the time he always misses and it's a waste of play, it's also selfish play too. Carlos Vela does exactly the same thing on the other wing. It's costing me with wasted chances. I'm sure alot of u know depay behaves like this. Is there anyway I can retrain him or discourage him from doing what hes doing? I'd rather him and Vela put a cross in or pass it to Munir who's more likely to finish. Cheers

Inside forwards are meant to cut in. That's the whole point of that position.

If you're playing Vela and Depay as WINGERS though, are you playing the left footers on the left and the right footers on the right? Players shoot on their strongest foot when they can, you can't tell them to shoot on their weaker foot, what would be the point of that? Play them in a position where they don't need to cut inside, like the aforementioned left footer on the left wing etc....

Inside forwards are meant to cut in. That's the whole point of that position.

If you're playing Vela and Depay as WINGERS though, are you playing the left footers on the left and the right footers on the right? Players shoot on their strongest foot when they can, you can't tell them to shoot on their weaker foot, what would be the point of that? Play them in a position where they don't need to cut inside, like the aforementioned left footer on the left wing etc....

They are crap tho, alls they do is miss and waste play. It's either retrain them or buy proper wingers. Btw I am playing them as wingers not inside forwards.

Tactics for wingers:

Shoot Less Often

Cross Aim Centre

Stay Wider

Hold Up Ball

When I watch them play they do not follow these instructions. I've noticed they're teamwork is very low depay 8 and vela 9. This could be something do with they're selfishness and willingness to do what they want.

Tactics for wingers:

Shoot Less Often

Cross Aim Centre

Stay Wider

Hold Up Ball

When I watch them play they do not follow these instructions. I've noticed they're teamwork is very low depay 8 and vela 9. This could be something do with they're selfishness and willingness to do what they want.

Just give depay tactical role inside forward on the right hand side and watch him rip apart defences and be your top goal scorer.

Just give depay tactical role inside forward on the right hand side and watch him rip apart defences and be your top goal scorer.

I'll swap positions for depay and vela see if that helps. Depay on the right wing and Vela on the left wing. Afterall depay is right footed and Vela is left footed. How come depays best position is left winger when his prefered foot is right and vela prefered position is right wing when his prefered foot is left? Strange.

I know how to give him an inside forward role but how do I set it as tactical? Is tactical classed as 'support' not 'attacking'?

Archived