Too many red cards

In my current save I have five red cards in 19 games, and three of those have come from one player.

Of those three, two of those were second bookings from slightly stupid, clumsy tackles and one was a straight red for a professional foul. My other two sending offs were also for a second yellow in similar circumstances.

Firstly, here are the attributes of the player in question:

2z9dy0m.jpg

Btw Guernsey are at level 8, in the Isthmian D1S. Obviously he has high aggression, but tackling is good at 12, and anticipation/decisions are both fine for that level.

Now my team instructions:

33vm8mp.png

I'm guessing that push higher up and close down more might have an effect, but I've been having good success with that style of play so I'm not overly keen to change it because one player keeps getting sent off!

Does anyone have any thoughts?

I had a similar situation where a spate of red cards occured & was getting extremely annoyed. So starting from the last few, I have a 2 week fine policy for anybody getting a red card, whether it be from 2 yellows, a straight red, or totally an unjustified decision from the referee. May upset a few players but coincidentally since I've clamped down on the ill discipline I haven't received dismissals!

I had a similar situation where a spate of red cards occured & was getting extremely annoyed. So starting from the last few, I have a 2 week fine policy for anybody getting a red card, whether it be from 2 yellows, a straight red, or totally an unjustified decision from the referee. May upset a few players but coincidentally since I've clamped down on the ill discipline I haven't received dismissals!

I just fined my player 2 week's wages and spoke to him about his discipline and he wasn't happy with either. I fined him 1 week's after the second sending off so I'll see if it works this time!

A high defensive line is always going to cause problems for a short centre back with low acceleration, pace, positioning & anticipation along with the added problems of his very aggressive nature & lack of stamina, the short version is that the player is not all that well equipped to cope with your team instructions & at a guess I expect the team shape is leaving him exposed quite a lot.

I'll try removing push higher up then. I'm not sure this will work though, as only one of the sendings offs was caused by my defensive line. The other 2 were second bookings caused by clumsy challenges when he was just trying to win the ball.

Also none of them were sliding tackles so I'm not sure stay on feet would help either!

The solution could well be to cut your losses with the player & start to look for a replacement.

The main problem is that the majority of players don't want to relocate for a part time contract. This is problematic when playing as Guernsey as it means my pool of players is limited to a handful of free agents based on the south coast!

Fining players randomly is not going to work.

The rules of the fines are as follows

Issue warning for 2 yellow cards

Issue 1 week fine for professional foul and straight red

Issue 2 week fine for violent behaviour

If you don't issue discipline this way you risk

Upsetting your player and his friends in the squad for disciplining them too much

Upsetting other players and their friends for not disciplining enough

If you don't go by these rules and are too lenient on your team for sending offs (not warning or issuing fines) you'll run the risk of other players getting sent off as they feel they can get away with being ill-disciplined without being warned or fined.

Start following these rules now and your players will fall into line after a few weeks.

Archived