Training Question - Natural Fitness

Hey guys, just wondering if someone can help me out with a small training question.

I've got Raheem Sterling over at PSG and I want to make sure he lasts a long time. His natural fitness is quite low at age 20, just a 9. I've been training him as an inside forward, but I'm thinking of switching up to a box-to-box midfielder. The idea there being that he's already insanely fast, and he's already quite good with some of the other box-to-box attributes, so why not choose something that will work on his weaker attributes? Also, the box-to-box training includes natural fitness, which I very much want to increase. You cannot work on natural fitness as a single attribute, but it is part of the box-to-box training schedule, so it would make sense to do this, right?

Adding to that.. if I have an older player, say like, Michael Carrick- wouldn't it make sense to forget physical stats and just focus on other areas (Technical, mental, etc.) ? So for example I have Carrick training currently as an advanced playmaker (all duties) as the only physical attribute it works on is balance, which is fine. All the rest are technical / mental. Seems reasonable right?

And does anyone else really love utilizing roaming playmaker / box to box for there more athletic players? Those training schedules cover so much it's very convenient yeah?

One thing to keep in mind is that schedules that work lots of attributes spread the training out so much you won't get as effective results. As for Sterling, yeah, why not train up B2B to try to get a natural fitness increase. I never do see it move very much though. I do train physical stats for older players to try and stave off the declines, but I am not convinced it does much. Then again, most of my training is semi-pro and the real improvements only come from playing matches.

The more attributes a schedule covers the less time spent on each attribute, especially since the tweaks to training on FM15 so its not always best no and you can waste a lot of attribute points.

NF rises slowly even when trained so its not really worth focusing on it or changing schedule to try and benefit because likelyhood is it'll never develop high enough to justify the schedule change unless you want the other attributes but even then if it does chance don't expect drastic changes.

Older players training is about maintaining attributes not developing them so you should put them on something that suits them. How fast/slow the decline of the player will be down to his personality type and his natural fitness attribute, if that is low then expect the player to decline a lot faster.

Good stuff here guys, thank you.

I think in the case of Sterling it makes sense to stick with B2B because he's one of those rare players who is able to actually train in that role, while playing out wide primarily.

I suppose I'll need to re-think my priorities in regards to how I select my individual training.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

sorry for bring back this old thread, but i thought it's better then starting a new one.

I just got a newgen promoted from my youth system, and my assist manager if giving him a 4.5 star.

The problem is that his NF is only 3.

He is only 16, and have a professional personality.

1) What are the odds that his NF will increase above 10?

2) In your opinion is there a minimum value for NF that a player must have so that he can compete at high level? (top league playing weekend and mid week for european competitions).

Hi,

sorry for bring back this old thread, but i thought it's better then starting a new one.

I just got a newgen promoted from my youth system, and my assist manager if giving him a 4.5 star.

The problem is that his NF is only 3.

He is only 16, and have a professional personality.

1) What are the odds that his NF will increase above 10?

2) In your opinion is there a minimum value for NF that a player must have so that he can compete at high level? (top league playing weekend and mid week for european competitions).

1) Impossible to say. He's only 16, so I'd expect it to improve, but only time will tell how high it'll go.

2) Take a quick look at the Scouting screen, choose the NF attribute and set it to max 10. Isco, Strootman, RVP, Diego Costa, Jese and more all appear on the list. Personally I probably wouldn't go lower than 10 as you'd usually need top players at top clubs regularly playing twice a week. A low NF rating may prevent you doing that.

Likely but it might take quite some time. As its so low to begin with, it's always going to be an uphill battle unlike other attributes when they are low. NF is much more important because its his recovery time between matches, how quickly they gain and maintain match fitness and condition during a game. It's also impacts his physical decline when older, the lower it is the more quickly he'll deteriorate and lose his physical attributes. And most importantly also how jaded/tired he can get from training.

I hardly keep newgens with a nat fit of less than 10...its never worth it. And don't forget there are other hidden attributes too like injury proneness. So if he has low nat fit and is injury prone... then he may not last whole games or he could be out for long periods

The report from the assist Manager dont say anything about injuries.

Altough he is only 16 i've bring him to the senior team. That way i can monitor better his training.

Putting him training stamina or strenght will help increase NF?

You might also consider what position he plays? For example, as a DC its likely that natural fitness might be marginally less important (a DC, in many systems, has his condition drop slightly less in 90mins, so recovery less critcal, could say the same of perhaps a DLP type). However for a winger or BBM or striker.......could be more of an issue.

That said, as Herne points out there are plenty world class players with <10 for natural fitness, and even a few pretty good ones with 8 or less (Carlos Vela, Nacer Chadli, Gignac, and well, Phil Bardsley....)

As rashidi also points out, the other hidden attributes are important. Sounds like has a good personality type, worth looking at his media handling type as well, this gives a pointer to other hidden attributes.

All in all, my view would be certainly not to give up on him at this stage. See how he develops, tutor him and develop him to suit your system initially i would say ,rather than trying to artificially increase NF in the first year or two (Just my view)

He plays in the midfield, so in my tactic he will be or a AP or a MC.

About his media handling style it says is reserved. Is that good?

In anycase, i'm gonna try to see how he evolves in the next 2 or 3 years. I'm guessing if until 19/20 years old not reach a decent NF, it will be hard to reach after.

If his media handling is "Reserved", that tells you that he has :

Contoversy 1-5,

Temprament 7-20, (when combined with his personality type, it means this is 10 - 20)

Loyalty 11-20,

Professionalism 15-20, (when combined with his personality type, it means this is 18 - 19)

Handles Pressure 1-14

So overall positive, the handles pressure could be an issue depending where on that scale he sits. All you can do is look out for coach reports indicating that he might not handle pressure well. If you are not seeing those, like he is up in the 12 - 14 range id guess.

Edit - NB - This is based off the media handling guide in FM 2012 or 2013. I am not aware that anything in this aspect has changed, but i could most certainly be wrong and others may know more

So,

he have everything in favor of becaming a really good player: good personality, good media handling, already have 14 for determination and have a 4.5 report by my assist manager.

Let's see how this turn in the future.

Archived