A 4 1 3 2 formation

A 4 1 3 2 formation

After reading this Pairs & Combinations FM2015 - UPDATED & this Team Shape, Roles and Duties Guide I thought I’d have another go a creating a tactic. Last year I made this The Kuningas with wing backs . It did not set the world on fire but some people liked it.

I have been tweaking the tactic for 2 and a half seasons. I started with Wrexham in the Conference. I will post my first two seasons:-

Season one here. Finished first with 108 points.

Season two here. Finished first with 99 points.

Half way through third season and 58 points from 28 games.

Tactic looks like this.

Team Instructions

I will post some more screenshots later.

A quick overview of the tactic is to press the other team to within an inch of their life, lead from the front and press them into mistakes. Most games we end up with more possession than the other team. If I’m playing a team where I’m expected to get hammered or a tough away game I will start with Mentality “Defensive” for the first 10 – 15 minutes to keep compact and keep shape.

It’s still not 100%, still toying with the idea of a false number 9 instead of Deep Lying forward and thinking about changing CB’s to Ball playing but still testing a few things.

It maybe I have assembled a very good team and the tactic only works with my players. I don’t know that’s why I am releasing it. I’ve found having a good DM really helps this formation.

I use a standard pitch size and for training I use Defending and Def positioning until tactic is fully fluid.

I’m on patch 15.2.1 (M.E. V1541)

Here's the end of the third season.

Very close with Portsmouth, it went down to the last day. We ended up with 90 points.

I changed a couple of player roles and we seem to be defending much better now.

Changed DM to Anchor Man and changed my two CB's and seem to keep shape a lot more now I have changed "Close down much more" to "Close down more" Also I am using a Defensive forward and its working really well, if you don't have one you can use Deep Lying Forward. I also changed my other centre midfielder to box to box support and that’s working too. I will post some more screenshots tomorrow.

Here's V5 of the 4 1 3 2

• 2 weeks later...
Love your tactic but struggling in away games. Do you have any suggestion? Switching to Counter is not a good solution :(

What sort of trouble are you having away from home? What seems to be the main issue? Have you tried starting “Defensive” instead of “Counter” To be honest I’ve found “Counter” doesn’t work to well. Thanks for the feedback, who are you playing as?

What sort of trouble are you having away from home? What seems to be the main issue? Have you tried starting “Defensive” instead of “Counter” To be honest I’ve found “Counter” doesn’t work to well. Thanks for the feedback, who are you playing as?

I will defo try Defensive as you said. I was playing Boston UTD and took English Hero Achivement with him (from lowest to highest league), as I got promoted to Premiership i was approached from West Ham (my fav club) so i took the job. Now I will have to start season with them. Tried many tact but yours get me best results cause my team took it good from game one. Problem is with clubs that are stronger then me. At home, I can go draw at best with lot of possession and like 26 shots on goal but in away games i get hammered 3-0, 4-0, 3-1. Game starts good but after 15 min oppossition take the game in their hands and i am done :(.

Can you plz tell me, when your tactics is full fluid do you chage something in training?

Once my tactic is fully fluid I change training to Attacking Movement and Attack for 3 weeks and then one week defensive movement and defensive. How many season have you used it and how did you Defensive forward do? For away games I’d start defensive if I was away to city for the first 15 minutes then change it to standard and see how the game is going. Who was your top goal scorer (position wise?)

• 1 month later...

I’ve played some games in the Championship and found that changing the Defensive forward from the “defend” duty to “support” he’s involved in the attacking phase of play and still defends in the same capacity. He also chips in with more goals. I’m happy with the formation just testing a couple more things with the Box to Box midfielder, I’m thinking I can get more of him in terms of goals and more assists.

Let me know if anyone else has any feedback, good or bad – Cheers!

I have made some changes and I am happy to release V6. First game using it and have a look at this

I have made some small changes to the midfield area. Set wingers to attack and my centre mid is "Centre Midfielder" with "Automatic" role. He attacks when we have the ball and defends when we don't.

When we are attacking we a attack with a phase of 5 players linking up really well. Also I have changed the defensive forward, he now has the "support" role and scores quite a few goals.

Here's the link to V6

Archived