Why is it so hard for my players to finish their chances?

So I posted this in the general section, and was sent over here:

"So I bought FM15, and was hopeful. My big problem on FM14 was that I could dominate games, but my players would miss easy chances every game then I would be hit on the counter and concede. Naturally as FM15 is supposed to be an improvement on the previous games I hoped this would be fixed. I started as Spurs and made a few signings, but every game it is the same story. I dominate the game, have around 20 shots but struggle to get a result due to being hit on the counter, and players such as Adebayor, Giovinco, Lamela, (All have 14 finishing) and Eriksen (who has 12 finishing) miss easy chances in the 6 yard box either putting them wide or hitting them straight at the keeper. Also Giovinco and Eriksen frequently shoot from 30yds out (Despite the fact I don't have shoot on sight or be more expressive on) and miss woefully. When I contacted SI about this on twitter I said "Having 28 shots and not scoring in a game is unheard of" all they did was link me to a match report of Wolfsburg 0-2 Everton when Wolfsburg had 39 shots. Whilst this is proof that this sometimes happen, I have the same problem with finishing EVERY GAME. Can someone PLEASE help?"

I play an attacking 4-2-3-1 DM asymmetrical, my mentality is attacking, my team shape is flexible. My preferred line up is:

Lloris

Walker(FB:Au) Chiriches (CD:D) Fazio(CD:D) Davies(Fb:Au)

Capoue(Dm:S)

Paulinho(Bbm:S)

Lennon(W:S) Eriksen(AM:A) Lamela(W:S)

Adebayor(AF:A)

Although I sometimes play Giovinco as a False 9 instead of Adebayor.

The instructions I have set are: Retain possession, Work ball into box, Whipped Crosses, Look for overlap, and Prevent short GK distribution.

Would be great if someone could help,

Jude.

I dominate the game, have around 20 shots but struggle to get a result due to being hit on the counter,

Out of interest, have you ever looked at what your team looks like when going forward? Due to the roles and duties, and the look for overlap shout, the balance is tipped towards a very attacking style. Which can naturally lend itself to you being more prone to be hit on the counter than in a more balanced set-up. Everybody's going forward, the FBs look to get involved as soon as possible (otherwise they wouldn't "overlap" as you encouraged). Just some food for thought. Throwing players forward and ticking "attack" is luckily no guarantee for a goal in the game, as it isn't in real football either.

7N12XBb.jpg

I doubt finishing is a huge issue every game, but regarding the Wolfsburg example and it such happening every game: when do you regularly see a side going battle-ram against a team parking the bus for 90 minutes straight? Typically in such matches sides have to work for space, but your very aggressive game is all about moving the ball and men forward and looking for a finish ASAP. If that successful finish doesn't come, players can start to get frustrated and the opposition grow in confidence (see the body language). Just as some food for thought, there's likely somebody who will provide you with a more detailed and step by step solution. Do you stick to this for 90 minutes in every game against any opposition anyway? Saw somebody conceding a late equalizer with a similar tactics. But with him being 1-0 up from the early first half and him still not changing anything (but not getting a second goal either), it was his fault imo.

PS.: I thought this was patched or re-worked, but Attack duty players in the AMC stratum and beyond with an attack duty still all won't track back (it was reported SI would look at the AMC/attack or so I thought.). I have no qualms with that personally, as you should be able to tell attacking players to not track back and stay forward. But with two players centrally (the AMC and FWD) both on attack duties this can likely open space centrally all by itself for an opponent to move the ball around (not that hugely of an issue perhaps here as there's a CM and DM in behind covering).

a04Rop2.jpg

Adebayor (11) and Eriksen (10) staying forward.

Regarding what you say about looking at my shape, When the other team has the ball, most of my team drops back until it is just Eriksen and Adebayor forward, and when I go forward I don't struggle with getting past the defense, however the finishing is the issue I struggle with. I do often change my tactics during the game, but when I go on to control my team adopts a more counter attacking approach, and when I go on overload I generally score more, but I am hesitant to constantly be on overload. I often see players becoming complacent as soon as I take a lead and they all drop back despite no change in tactics which is frustrating. I wouldn't mind the counter attacking being deployed on me so much if my attacking players could tuck away their chances in the 18 yard box, as I could easily be 4 or 5 goals up in every game if not for the atrocious finishing. Thanks for the help, and I will definitely look at how my full backs are not tracking back.

Thanks for the help, and I will definitely look at how my full backs are not tracking back.
Funny story, just took off the look for the overlap and replaced it with exploit the wings, and my players performed a lot better in front of goal. Not sure how much to read into this as it was against a Southampton side that had appointed a new manager 2 days previously.

Redster, I was literally just about to post about the exact same issue with Spurs as well.

I can have 20 odd shots a game to the opposition's 5 to 10 and draw 1-1. It gets a bit infuriating after a while. I've got my coaches to a decent standard, train ball control often as I've noticed this work in the past in gaining more accurate shots, but still experiencing the problem.

Have you considered the fact that Tottenham just don't have very good finishers?

I certainly wouldn't want to be relying on a constant goal supply from somebody with a finishing of 14. It's frustrating enough with strikers with 16+ finishing. Of course other things to consider are confidence, technique, composure and decisions as well.

IMO sell Adebayor. Plenty of younger, more talented and reliable strikers than him, on cheaper wages to boot.

Archived