Always losing money - what to do?

I've just moved on to my second club in my career, managing Bishop's Stortford in the Conference North.

Just like my last team, I can't for the life of me work out a way to stop the club from bleeding all its finances. I'm only using 80% of my wage budget and players have small cash bonuses for goals etc.

I've tried putting some of my higher valued players that I think I can get by without and no one will look at them, even at half value.

We are playing above expectations in the league, so crowds shouldn't be an issue.

I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong, or how I can improve the clubs financial situation!

It's quite frustrating...

- Find out where the money is going

- Don't do that

I know it isn't that simple, but there's no real secret to it. If you spend more than you bring in, you're going to bleed money. You then need to decide whether to make the stretch on a loss in the hope that you get promoted and meet the shortfall, or you cut the cloth accordingly.

At this level:

Average attendance X, ticket price X, league matches, divided by 52. this how long your paying wages for.

Cup games and friendlies should not be included and should be seen as a bonus.

Other income could see you breaking even.

It's what I used to do in FM until I felt ''why should I restrict my squad spending which may result in me not reaching my goals?''

After all it is the board's job to work out what you can/cannot afford. And will they thank me for keeping them in the Black if I do not meet expectations? After all it's their money.

I always try and negotiate out bonuses if finances are bad, unless they conflict.

One thing that you can do is offer, say, an appearance bonus and an unused sub bonus. You know the player can't get both of these at once.

I think it's actually a little flaw in contract negotiations, but it might help.

Your experience is the same as nearly all non-league clubs. Thankfully, you're the manager not the accountant. So long as you keep within the wage budget, let the chairman sweat about the finances and you just focus on the team.

And when he makes you sell your star player to a big club, make sure you get a friendly out of it.

Think I've found what it is...

I'm paying $12k in wages every month, but last month I paid almost $9k in bonuses! I thought my bonuses were fine but apparently not...

My only guess is I've got some players running on a non-contract basis and their wages aren't included in the budget, but show up as bonuses.

Argh...

Archived