Returning to your old club...

Reading another post made me decide to start a thread on this...

Does anybody else always get the urge to return to a former club years later? I have always wanted to do this in previous games but never actually found the right time/opportunity until recently...

My last game with Notts County I got them from League 2 to the prem, then left for Madrid where I won the champs league, was there about 15 years...

I returned to Notts County with them having slipped back to mid table in league two, glory beckoned, I was returning confident that I could turn it all around again, I was a club legend and would save them again and return them to the Premiership! It would be brilliant!

It was rubbish. We got relegated. I got the sack. :o

Anybody else had a similar experience?

I nearly won the title as Newcastle, but then I got wound up by United's manager and my team became angry with me. I was a legend though. Then I took the England job, but we were rubbish and got knocked out on penalties. I stayed unemployed for ages, got the Newcastle job, and did rubbish. We only avoided relagation narrowly.

I nearly won the title as Newcastle, but then I got wound up by United's manager and my team became angry with me. I was a legend though. Then I took the England job, but we were rubbish and got knocked out on penalties. I stayed unemployed for ages, got the Newcastle job, and did rubbish. We only avoided relagation narrowly.

Did you miss out the part where you became man city manager for a few years after England and did poor with them.

The trouble is that the moment you leave a club you become 100% hated personnel. So barring a complete miracle you'll never be wanted back. Think of Sol Campbell at Spurs or Luis Figo going back to Barca.

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be anything in game that allows for a legendary (nobodies to world-beating) manager to move on to other pastures. Is Dario Gradi still hated at Crewe? How about Big Sam at Bolton?

Exactly.

I started the game at AFC Wimbledon and got them to the Championship before they sacked me. Then I went to Birmingham, Everton and Norwich.

They were still in the Championship after about 25 years away from them and I applied for the vacant position after the manager left. Despite being on disliked personnel I got the job.

Then I won the Championship, Premiership, UEFA Cup and finished FA Cup runners up after 4 years. I went after the Chelsea job and they asked me to resign! Wouldn't mind going back for the third time though.

The trouble is that the moment you leave a club you become 100% hated personnel. So barring a complete miracle you'll never be wanted back. Think of Sol Campbell at Spurs or Luis Figo going back to Barca.

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be anything in game that allows for a legendary (nobodies to world-beating) manager to move on to other pastures. Is Dario Gradi still hated at Crewe? How about Big Sam at Bolton?

Exactly.

Are you saying that as if to say no they are not?? or am i just slow?

As far as im aware Dario Gradi isn't hated at Crewe. But he is still at the club, so i don't understand that statement.

Sorry for my ignorance.

No he's saying that in the game no matter how loyal successful you are with a club, you become hated when you leave, but that doesn't happen IRL e.g. Dario Gradi.

Oh right, cheers Nomis. But i still don't understand why Dario Gradi was brought into it, as he hasn't left Crewe. He just isn't the manager anymore wich is understandable as he is 67 and spent 24 years in charge of Crewe.

It's an example of a legendary manager who the fans were always going to love no matter what he did because of his loyalty, this isn't replicated in FM and you could manage Crewe for 40 years then resign for another club and you would isntantly become 100% disliked personnel.

All you have to do is look at Martin O'Niell and the regard he is held in by Leicester fans. He took them to places way above their station and and people didn't hate him when he left, and I promise you he will be welcomed back with open arms if ever such a miraculous oppertunity should open up

All you have to do is look at Martin O'Niell and the regard he is held in by Leicester fans. He took them to places way above their station and and people didn't hate him when he left, and I promise you he will be welcomed back with open arms if ever such a miraculous oppertunity should open up

Very true. Strachan and Southampton would be another example.

I have to say I didn't have any trouble getting my old Notts County team to take me back, maybe because I left when I was almost out of contract? Or was it the amount of time I was gone for, 15 years? They seemed pleased to have me back.

The trouble is that the moment you leave a club you become 100% hated personnel. So barring a complete miracle you'll never be wanted back.

Isn't the liked disliked thing with the fans only?

I got my Jaguares job back despite not doing any good in the first place for them.

Amen to that brother, Martin O'Neill is 100% on my Favorite Persons list - what a legend.

Ipswich have re-signed a couple of years over the last two seasons after leaving and not really making a success of themselves and all been welcomed back with open arms.

Examples:Pablo Counago, Tommy Miller, Richard Wright and Shefki Kuqi (on loan).

Archived