Emulating World Cup winning 2010 Spain/Euro 08 winning Spain

Quite possibly a tough challenge but it is an idea.

Control/Fluid

GK

CWB-CB-CB-CWB

A

RP-AP(a)-RP

P-T

That was the tactic that the late great Luis Aragones and Vicente del Boque used to win those two cups. Here are the player intructions

Retain Posession/Shorter Passing/Pass Into Space - duh

Work Ball Into Box - the team would never play hoof ball into the box. It was pass and move all the time

Play Out of Defense - Once again, the defense distributes the ball slowly to the midfield. They never try floating a cross for a not-too short Torres to get

Whipped Crosses - There was never a lot of size in Spain's team. It was either Whipped Crosses into the box or Low Crosses into the box.

Look for Overlap - Your CWBs will be in play when using this. Your midfielders will spot the run of your CWBs and pass it to them.]

Play Wider - David Villa played like a false winger at times as he was always looking for the ball on the left wing.

Push Higher Up - Spain always played a high line. This enabled them to pressure the opposition to make mistakes.

Roam from Position - The midfield had a lot of creativity going forward. Sometimes they move out of their assigned positions to find the ball and make triangles.

Close Down Much More - Spain has stolen the Barca Pressing game. This helps them take advantage when a opposing player dwells on the ball.

Prevent GK Distribution - Helps with the High line.

Higher Tempo - Later in the years, they played with a lower tempo but they always tiki-taka to attack not keep the ball.

Be More Expressive - Creative midfielders were present so this speaks for itself

GK - Roll it Out, Distribute to FBs, Pass it Shorter - Casillas rarely kicked the ball away.

CWBs - Play Wider/Run Wide with Ball, Cross Aim Center - I want the CWBs to Stay Wide as I have no wingers present and this enables me to stretch the opposition and break down their defense.

AP (a) - Get Further Forward - Fabregas played deeper than usual but he was always present when attacking.

P (a) - Shoot More Often - Torres was a basic Poacher. Rarely looking to pass but to score when he gets the ball

T (a) - Run Wide with Ball, Hold Up Ball, Cross Aim Center, Move Into Channels - Basically, the Villa role

After my Everton Capital One Cup bout that resulted in a 2-1 win against Newcastle. I encourage some folks to try it out :)

Control mentality doesn't make sense IMO. Spain are all about possession, and a higher mentality will result in your guys playing more direct football.

If I were managing Spain (especially trying to replicate real life Spain) I would start with either counter or defensive. Adjust your team/player instructions as you see fit, and off you go.

Spain certainly did not play 4-1-3-2 at any point.

Played a 4-1-4-1 system in Euro 08, with Marcos Senna playing like a more traditional defensive midfielder.

By the time the World Cup 2010 team came around, it was a 4-2-3-1 system, with 2 holding midfields (Busquets & Xabi Alonso) with Villa, Xavi & Iniesta in front and Torres in attack. Of course this all moved around depending on who was on the pitch, and Jesus Navas was a common tactical option to stretch play on the right flank during the games.

Spain certainly did not play 4-1-3-2 at any point. Played a 4-1-4-1 system in Euro 08, with Marcos Senna playing like a more traditional defensive midfielder. By the time the World Cup 2010 team came around, it was a 4-2-3-1 system, with 2 holding midfields (Busquets & Xabi Alonso) with Villa, Xavi & Iniesta in front and Torres in attack. Of course this all moved around depending on who was on the pitch, and Jesus Navas was a common tactical option to stretch play on the right flank during the games.
Umm..

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2011-tactics-training/63908-4-1-3-2-inspired-luis-aragones.html

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/02/23/teams-of-the-decade-7-spain-2008/

It honestly doesn't matter. Formations talked up by pundits and bloggers are always going to be a limited representation of what's actually going on.

The way I view it is that formations in FM represent your base defensive shape. If I were taking that into account then Spain would be playing a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-1-2-2-1. Both would be slightly lopsided with one of the CM's being played closer to the side rather than central.

Stand corrected on the 08 system. But the 10 system is very different, and you can't compare the 2 as similar. The style had evolved a lot from 08 to 10.

Stand corrected on the 08 system. But the 10 system is very different, and you can't compare the 2 as similar. The style had evolved a lot from 08 to 10.

And again http://www.football-lineups.com/lineup/161339/ I watched both tourneys man. My memory is very good

They also used it in the confederations cup

http://www.football-lineups.com/team/Spain/Confederations_Cup_2009/fixture

I watched both as well. Villa started from a left side position and came inside.

http://www.fifa.com/tournaments/archive/worldcup/southafrica2010/news/newsid=1254154/index.html

They also played an out-and-out right winger in half of the games. (Navas & Pedro). Silva started the Switzerland game notably on the right flank, after that Iniesta took up that position when Spain played without a natural right winger.

Archived