'Unto The Breach!' My 4-1-3-2 for FM15

"........Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,

hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit to his

full height. On, on, you noblest English............."

Unfortunately the above quote is not available as a 'team talk', i certainly could have done with it a few times :lol:

Ok, here is the result of my development thread. To be fair, I wasted a fair bit of time working on tactics in the Beta which did not translate well to the release match engine. We live and learn!

The wise heads on here will be quick to tell you that ‘any solid tactic will work on any match engine’, I guess it depends on your definition of ‘work’ but in general I’ve found a few tweaks are required here and there to get things ticking properly after a ME update.

To that end, this is the first of three tactic sets I’ll be releasing this year, the others being a 442 which is next up and a 4231 (DM/AMC).

I will not be doing anything outside of that but I will be committing to updating them after each patch, should they require it.

If optimal set piece routines ‘pop up’ at some point I will also add those providing they are not ‘gamey’.

So to the 4132, by default I always find this a sound defensive set up but it normally requires a lot of work to get it firing going forward, this years has been no exception.

I’ve really felt the need to drag my midfield and full backs up the pitch via a very attacking set up encompassing the roles and mentalities, I also get the impression that attack might be the best form of defence on the current Match Engine even with a mid/low level team like West Brom.

We have a home and away version THE ONLY DIFFERENCE between the 2 is the behaviour of the full backs who push on for the home tactic.

Below is the tactic with a few poorly drawn arrows highlighting the attacking movement I was after. Note the fullbacks still get forward on support duty but not as often or as far.

YPlVjg6.png

Essentially our Forwards ‘separate’ laterally creating space for our offensively minded midfielders to attack. This creates a wide front and enables us to overload the final 3rd.

I had noticed striking pairs ‘disconnecting’ a lot from the rest of the team, having 2 deeper strikers here suits the tactic nicely.

We then have our 2 most central midfielders the Anchor Man and the DLP holding position to ensure we have a solid ‘core’ in position at all times.

The DLP has licence to play direct passes and will see a lot of the ball hopefully pinging it about all over the place, Quarter Back style.

We employ a high tempo, a short passing range and a heavy press across the pitch excluding the Centre Backs and Anchor Man who we require to hold position.

We defend from the front with no ‘free roles’ in the team, the F9’s press hard and deep.

See below for more details on the player roles.

Relative to your level, despite the attacking roles & mentality’s you can expect a good defensive record and a medium/good attack. It’s not a massively high scoring tactic but it does generate a decent number of goal scoring chances and shots on goal but as ever finishing in general leaves a lot to be desired.

I noticed on earlier versions there was barely a pass being made inside the penalty box itself, I seem to have been able to influence this and we now even see a few cut backs from strikers bearing down on the posts instead of just hitting it into the side netting.

RESULTS

SEASON 1, NO TRANSFERS

Man City Won League, Won Champions League, Won League Cup lost in FA Cup Final to Chelsea

Note the excellent defensive record, 25 clean sheets in the league for Joe Hart.

tzckbY6.png

Also went well with West Brom. Conceded at just over a goal a game with them as they are far weaker, got hammered a few times away against the big boys which didnt help but still plenty of clean sheets for Ben Foster.

WUny2As.png

Ok, as mentioned above there are a Home & Away version, i used them pretty strictly like that adjusting mid game as required (home to chase, away to protect etc).

HOME

https://www.mediafire.com/?p8lk67gr432x97v

AWAY

https://www.mediafire.com/?6fad2yy2okya2li

Apparently importing tactics can be a bit weird this time. Someone kindly made a post advising how to do it http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/share-download-fm-15-tactics/184003-fmf-filles-tac-files.html

Enjoy, now for the 4-4-2

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As many of you know i like to build my squad around the tactic in ways which i think will bring the best out in it.

This is based around looking for key attributes for each role.

This is what i'm working towards in this tactic.

***First of all we need to talk about acceleration & pace. I've not included that in attribute requirements but get as much of it in as many places as you can. In particular the attack minded Central Midfielders and the Full Backs will make excellent use of it and may be compromised without it***

False 9/SUPPORT

A few reasons why I opted for this role in both Striking slots. One relates to the issue of Strikers on attack duty getting isolated from the rest of the team however the main reason relates to how we would like the tactic to play out.

The 2 strikers have freedom to roam (they will generally roam wide) and are instructed to run wide with the ball. ‘Move into channels’ is on F9’s by default. This separation of the Strikers creates space for our Central Midfielders on attack duty to run into creating a ‘wide front’ and an overloading situation in and around the penalty area.

Although we want our forwards to operate in a manner which enables the goal scoring burden to be spread into the midfield we also want them to get in on the end of things when the opportunity arises to get their quota of goals which they do.

Few teams are afforded the luxury of a role without defensive responsibilities and we need these guys to work hard to defend from the front and these guys certainly do that the cost of an obvious counter attacking threat (which has been toned down anyway).

I feel the False 9 on Support role is best suited to tick all the boxes we require.

KEY ATTRIBUTES

Finishing

Composure

Off the Ball

Work Rate

CENTRAL MIDFIELD/ATTACK

A firm favourite of mine. There default position is deep enough to offer good defensive cover yet they are superb at building & supporting attacks providing an additional goal scoring threat for defenders to deal with. Sometimes overlapping our strikers, sometimes arriving late to finish moves.

Retrained AMC’s can be excellent here as they will likely have the attributes we require.

KEY ATTRIBUTES

Work Rate

Off the Ball

Passing

Finishing

DEEPLYING PLAYMAKER/DEFEND

With his midfield team mates given licence to operate upfield we need to make a compensatory move by introducing a Defend duty to the very heart of our midfield. We still however want him to build attacks from the back, spread play and play a longer pass to the Strikers when it’s on.

Direct passing is switched on giving him the required licence to be fully effective offensively but we need him to sit deep to disrupt counter attacks and be available to re-cycle possession. He will make more passes than anyone else each game.

KEY ATTRIBUTES

Passing

Vision

Positioning

Tackling

ANCHOR/DEFEND

Was a toss up between this and a Halfback. Opted for the Anchor Man as the Halfback effects the play the of centre backs sometimes in a manner which I don’t like. I just want my Anchor to sit on anyone playing the AMC position and to team up with the DLP/D to ensure we do not have a soft centre despite having 2 central midfielders on attack duty.

KEY ATTRIBUTES

Centre Back Model

Jumping Reach

Marking

Strength

Tackling

DMC Model

Tackling

Marking

Positioning

Decisions

Full Back – Support & Attack

These ‘bad boys’ can turn you from a good team into an outstanding team. A good place to spend money if you have any or at least a priority when you are in a position to strengthen. Responsible for giving width to the team in both attack and defensive they are gonna have to get thru a shed load of work. Up and down the flanks all day long. The will provide a wide outlet for your attacks, whip in crosses for your forwards and then have to get back quickly when you lose the ball.

In defence the wider central midfielders will assist them on the flanks but they will still have a lot of responsibility.

The home tactics has these guys on attacking, the away tactic on support. On the attacking tactic we want them ‘wide & high’ crossing from the byline where possible.

On the more conservative tactic (away) we want them ‘narrow & Deep’ holding position and crossing from deep.

4 attributes is not enough but this is what I would prioritise.

Acceleration

Dribbling

Crossing

Stamina

(Good Decisions, Marking, Tackling & Work Rate would all be welcome)

Centre Backs

Not the most exciting of roles but essential none the less. 2 things we need to deal with here. The threat of set pieces and the threat from general play. Good Jumping Reach and Marking are excellent in general play and vital in defending set pieces. 2 Dominant Headers here can make a massive difference.

We have already discussed the advantage of pace in all positions but if our Centre Backs are also quick between the ears they can snuff out attacks before they develop I would therefore look at Decisions and Concentration as well and ideally Positioning.

Key Attributes

Jumping Reach

Marking

Decisions

Concentration

(+ Positioning!)

Goal Keepers

Another key role, our last line of defence. Although not a glamorous position it must be a priority, I like to get a young top level keeper early on (or one with the potential to be a top level Keeper) and keep them for years. Safe in the knowledge I have that position sewn up for the rest of my save.

That’s not possible in the lower leagues where I often go the other route and look for someone who’s been put out to pasture at 35,36,37 but would still be excellent for me on a free transfer.

Either way they need to be up to the job. This is what I look for.

Aerial Ability

Reflexes

One on One’s

Handling

(If they’ve got a big gob and can organise the defence all the better ☺)

Bear in mind these are just my ideas on player types, if you have your own, great go for it. There are certainly alternative builds for each role that could work just as well and make the tactic play out a little differently. But I find recruiting to a ‘plan’ very helpful in ensuring my team gets stronger year on year which has to be the aim.

Team Talks

You need to figure out your own approach but essentially I’m horrible at half time and nice at full time. If I’m winning 1-0 at half time against a weaker team I’m telling them I’m not happy. Against a strong team ‘playing well, room for improvement’.

If you’re in poor form you can back off a bit and look to relieve pressure, losing 1 – 0 ‘ we’re still in this’.

I follow my own emotions, if I’m not happy I’m aggressive/assertive, if I know they are down I try to encourage and take pressure off.

I nearly always praise a win, unless player ratings are poor and it’s a 1 goal victory against a weak team when I’ll go ‘we got away with that…..

Pre- game I tend to go with the Ass Man……. because I’m lazy.

I Don’t bother with in game shouts unless we’re costing at half time and the come back of all come backs is on in the 2nd half in which case i’ll say something aggressive that seems appropriate.

Don’t be afraid to use ‘don’t get complacent’ team talk at half time, players don’t react as badly to it on this years game.

Press Conferences

2 rules I follow.

As a strong team never admit fear/weakness to anyone, don’t give your players an excuse to lose.

As a weak team, defer to strong teams, they’re great, it will be really tough etc to encourage complacency. When it works a load of their players get 6.4, 6.5 and you’ll turn ‘em over. Doesn’t always work, but often enough to win games you have no right to win.

Consistency

There are many things which influence results on match day outside of pure tactics. I had a couple of issues early on where I lost save files and had to replay a sequence of matches a 2nd time (logged on bug forum). I saw a 2-1 defeat turn into a 5-0 win with the same team talk and press conferences. Matches can turn on the smallest things and sometimes it’s not your day so you just have to take a season long view.

Continuity

I derailed a few seasons on FM14 by bringing in too many new players in the off season. I expect it has a similar effect on FM15 therefore I restrict myself to the following.

No more than 3 transfers in the Summer window.

No more than 1 transfer in the Winter window.

Some rules i follow when signing players

Don't sign injury prone players

Don't sign any player who can't handle big games or is noted as inconsistent

Prioritise players who like big games or are noted as consistent

Consider past performance before signing a player, look for good average rating for all and a good goals/game ratio for strikers

Try and have leaders down the spine of your team

Keeping Players

There may be times when you feel your team has moved beyond one of your ‘old favourites’, perhaps in a team full of superstars this guy is rated as only ‘decent for your level’.

If he’s consistently averaging 7+ keep him and don’t be afraid to use him.

Which brings me to the next topic……

‘Star Rating vs Performance’

We all want to improve our squads and bring in that 5 star player. Don’t let star rating be the only thing you consider when picking your team, consider average ratings.

If your 4.5 star guy is averaging 6.98 and your 3 star player is averaging 7.40, over a decent number of games. Prioritise the consistent performer.

TRAINING

I know some people go nuts over training trying to squeeze every last possible attribute increase over the course of their career. I can't be bothered with all that, its a minimal return on a big investment of time.

I want my players healthy and match fit. Thats it, i improve them by giving them games in the first team.

So, here's all i do.

Match Training

Maximum match training on 'tactics only' until tactic is fully fluid. Once fully fluid i put slider half way and leave on attacking movement all season.

General Training

Minimum of 10 weeks on team cohesion at the start of every season, then leave it on balanced all season.

OI's

I never use them..... EVER

I have just started using these tactics and accompanying strategies mid-way through my first season with Wolves. We've rocketed up the table from around 12th/13th to 5th, with about 8 games to play. No signings made yet....worried that promotion might come too soon for a team tipped for relegation!

For lower league teams, would you still recommend going for the best key stat you can find? i.e Ariel Ability for a goalkeeper, Jumping Reach for a central defender?

Want to see if this can save my Kingstonian team the second time of asking. Got relegated on last day of season first attempt with some truly shocking defending.

Someone kindly pointed out that on the original download of the home tactic the left back was showing as Wingback/Automatic. It should be Full Back/Attack with 'stay wider' & 'run wide with ball' (same as right back).

I have now corrected the download but if you already have it you probably want to change that :thup:

For lower league teams, would you still recommend going for the best key stat you can find? i.e Ariel Ability for a goalkeeper, Jumping Reach for a central defender?

Want to see if this can save my Kingstonian team the second time of asking. Got relegated on last day of season first attempt with some truly shocking defending.

Yeah, lower league is a different ball game all together, last year during my Tonbridges saves I was lucky to get 1 player to join me a bit better than what i had, probably league 1 or league 2 until you can begin to be choosy, looking for 1 or 2 attributes :thup:

Not tried this non league yet and i believe its a bit of nightmare on this ME. Interested to see how you get on.

Yeah, lower league is a different ball game all together, last year during my Tonbridges saves I was lucky to get 1 player to join me a bit better than what i had, probably league 1 or league 2 until you can begin to be choosy, looking for 1 or 2 attributes :thup:

Not tried this non league yet and i believe its a bit of nightmare on this ME. Interested to see how you get on.

Pre-season has gone well so far, with the exception of the two bigger team friendlies I arranged. Rest I've won convincingly, although they were all against non-league teams. Generally around 55% possession in every game so far. I've noticed a lot of goals coming from the MCa both left and right. 8 of my 17 goals have comes from my strikers, a further 8 from the midfield, and 1 from a full back. Looking like the MCa positions are key for scoring goals!

Will get to December and let you know how its going. Tactic is still only Awkward currently, so not a great reflection on its true potential.

Out of interest, with the attacking roles you say pace is key. Would you prioritise that over the technical skills Finishing/Composure (F9), Work Rate/Off Ball (CMa) and then look for the best technical skills, or stick to the best technical and then whoever has the best

Ok, so after 19 games in the league, my newly promoted team are 17th, one place above their media prediction of 18th. Goals for 38, goals against 42.

From initial impressions, this tactic is very much hit or miss in terms of results. This could also be very much down to the ME at lower levels as I'm still not convinced that they have it working correctly. Watching games feels painful when you see 30-yard screamers almost every week, and this is a problem I've been having constantly with this release for some reason.

There were still a few heavy scorelines in there, such as a 4-0 defeat opening day, a 6-2 defeat, and a 5-2 win, but these seemed to ease off once the tactics became fully familiar.

My main problem I'm having now, is being able to rotate the squad enough to not be ravaged by injuries, and as a result the results have taken a severe dip in recent weeks. Very frustrating playing at lower level in this release.

Here are my fixtures so far:

| Date            | Time     | Opposition             | TV       | Venue    |          | Result   | Competition                                                                                                                         | 
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| Mon, 6/7/2015   | 19:45    | Cray Valley            |          | H        |          | 4 - 1    | Friendly                                                                                                                            | 
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| Thu, 9/7/2015   | 19:45    | AFC Wimbledon          |          | H        |          | 0 - 2    | Friendly                                                                                                                            | 
| Sun, 12/7/2015  | 15:00    | Newhaven               |          | H        |          | 4 - 0    | Friendly                                                                                                                            | 
| Wed, 15/7/2015  | 19:45    | Bedfont Sports         |          | H        |          | 3 - 0    | Friendly                                                                                                                            | 
| Sat, 18/7/2015  | 15:00    | Hayes Gate             |          | H        |          | 5 - 0    | Friendly                                                                                                                            | 
| Sun, 26/7/2015  | 15:00    | Peterborough Under 21s |          | H        |          | 2 - 0    | Friendly                                                                                                                            | 
| Sat, 8/8/2015   | 15:00    | Boreham Wood           |          | H        |          | 0 - 4    | Vanarama South                                                                                                                      | 
| Mon, 10/8/2015  | 19:45    | Billericay             |          | H        |          | 3 - 1    | Vanarama South                                                                                                                      | 
| Sat, 15/8/2015  | 15:00    | Havant & W             |          | A        |          | 3 - 4    | Vanarama South                                                                                                                      | 
| Sun, 23/8/2015  | 15:00    | Eastbourne Boro        |          | H        |          | 2 - 2    | Vanarama South                                                                                                                      | 
| Sat, 29/8/2015  | 15:00    | Farnborough            |          | A        |          | 2 - 6    | Vanarama South                                                                                                                      | 
| Mon, 31/8/2015  | 19:45    | Concord Rangers        |          | H        |          | 5 - 2    | Vanarama South                                                                                                                      | 
| Sat, 5/9/2015   | 15:00    | Bishop's Stortford     |          | A        |          | 1 - 1    | Vanarama South                                                                                                                      | 
| Sat, 12/9/2015  | 15:00    | Hayes & Yeading        |          | H        |          | 2 - 2    | Vanarama South                                                                                                                      | 
| Sat, 19/9/2015  | 15:00    | Whitehawk              |          | A        |          | 1 - 3    | Vanarama South                                                                                                                      | 
| Sat, 26/9/2015  | 15:00    | Hendon                 |          | A        |          | 2 - 0    | FA Cup 2nd Qual. Rnd                                                                                                                | 
| Sat, 3/10/2015  | 15:00    | Gosport                |          | A        |          | 3 - 0    | Vanarama South                                                                                                                      | 
| Tue, 6/10/2015  | 19:45    | Chelmsford             |          | H        |          | 1 - 0    | Vanarama South                                                                                                                      | 
| Sat, 10/10/2015 | 15:00    | Bromley                |          | H        |          | 1 - 2    | FA Cup 3rd Qual. Rnd                                                                                                                | 
| Mon, 12/10/2015 | 19:45    | St. Albans             |          | H        |          | 3 - 0    | Vanarama South                                                                                                                      | 
| Sat, 17/10/2015 | 15:00    | Basingstoke            |          | A        |          | 1 - 1    | Vanarama South                                                                                                                      | 
| Sat, 31/10/2015 | 15:00    | Dorchester             |          | A        |          | 1 - 2    | Vanarama South                                                                                                                      | 
| Mon, 2/11/2015  | 19:45    | Bromley                |          | H        |          | 1 - 2    | Vanarama South                                                                                                                      | 
| Tue, 10/11/2015 | 19:45    | Bath                   |          | H        |          | 4 - 1    | Vanarama South                                                                                                                      | 
| Sat, 14/11/2015 | 15:00    | Hemel Hempstead        |          | A        |          | 2 - 4    | Vanarama South                                                                                                                      | 
| Sat, 21/11/2015 | 15:00    | Welling                |          | A        |          | 1 - 4    | Vanarama South                                                                                                                      | 
| Mon, 23/11/2015 | 19:45    | Maidenhead             |          | H        |          | 2 - 3    | Vanarama South                                                                                                                      | 
| Sat, 28/11/2015 | 15:00    | Boreham Wood           |          | A        |          | 0 - 2    | FA Trophy South 3rd Qual. Rnd                                                                                                       | 

One positive though, I'm scoring in almost every match! So goals aren't a problem clearly, its just the defence for me at lower level, and I'm not sure what can be done tactically to prevent 30-yard screamers so I'm not suggesting this is specifically due to the tactic.

I can't make my mind up regarding retain possession.

Retain Possession ON - Fewer chances created but of a higher quality.

Retain Possession OFF - Maybe upto 50% more chances but many long shots.

Quality vs Quantity.

Possibly with weaker Premier League teams and in the lower divisions its better playing with retain possession OFF.

Its hard to play enough games to test every variable with so much variance game to game but that is my feeling.

Think i'll run a season with West Brom with both options and see what happens.

Decided on trying this with Inter. (For some reason I'm obsessed with them in FM, not irl) So far won the 2 EC qualifiers and the first league game home to Palermo. Lots of chances in that match but only scored 1-0 in the 88th minute. Unfortunately my midfielders have some nasty ppms: Hernanes and Guarin both have cut inside ppm and shoot from distance, Kovacic has drop deep but we'll see how it goes.

Haven't really been able to get stuck in with the tactic.

Open 6 league games, won 1 then lost 5 straight games.

Injuries have mounted to the point I've got players playing out of pos and players playing whom would never grace my bench.

So far my team has trouble scoring goals and creating chances. Results so far:

Palermo H: 1-0

Parma A: 1-0

Viktoria Plzen A: 2-1

Fiorentina H: 0-1 (goal from corner)

Chievo A: 2-1 (goal from corner)

Genoa H: 1-1 (goal after we got a red card)

Bursaspor H: 3-0

Lazio A: 1-2

Juventus H: 2-0 yay

The good thing is we don't concede a lot, the not so good thing is we don't score a lot either.

So far my team has trouble scoring goals and creating chances. Results so far:

Palermo H: 1-0

Parma A: 1-0

Viktoria Plzen A: 2-1

Fiorentina H: 0-1 (goal from corner)

Chievo A: 2-1 (goal from corner)

Genoa H: 1-1 (goal after we got a red card)

Bursaspor H: 3-0

Lazio A: 1-2

Juventus H: 2-0 yay

The good thing is we don't concede a lot, the not so good thing is we don't score a lot either.

Should settle down a bit, if you wouldn't mind running it with retain possession off for a few games i'd appreciate your feedback on it :thup:

Should settle down a bit, if you wouldn't mind running it with retain possession off for a few games i'd appreciate your feedback on it :thup:

I'll try it this evening. Also have my only new (non-Italian speaking) signing Romero playing as DLP-d so that probably doesn't help either.

I'll try it this evening. Also have my only new (non-Italian speaking) signing Romero playing as DLP-d so that probably doesn't help either.

Many thanks, even with retain possession on I would expect you to be creating about 12-20 chances per match dependent on the opposition, is that about right?

Palermo H: 14

Parma A: 15

Viktoria Plzen A: 5

Fiorentina H: 15

Chievo A: 20

Genoa H: 20

Bursaspor H: 19

Lazio A: 14

Juventus H: 10

Shots total, dunno how much half chances/CCC's though.

Many thanks, pretty much in line with what i thought...... apart from Viktoria Plzen A :lol:

Thank you fella, been looking for some tactics

Will try this tactic later on with Birmingham City on a new start :thup:

Trying to sign players to accommodate each attribute for each position will be the hard bit :lol:

Might want to take off 'retain possession' in the Championship, trying to get to the bottom of this.

Usually follow your threads with interest as we got a pretty similar view on how we want to play and from time to time I integrate your thoughts into my tactics when I stumble upon a problem I can't seem to find a solution for on my own. After getting Bromley promoted with a similar formation I have really struggled to make anything work and with about 10 games left and sitting in the relegation zone I decided to do the opposite, use your tactic and integrate my own thoughts where needed. So far it has worked rather well and I have managed to climb out of the relegation zone with the help of your home tactic so it seems it works decently even low down in the system.

Taken Braintree Town from the VC to Championship(in year 2022) using Your DOM home, Dom Away and Maverick on FM15, However 2nd year in the championship has been poor(20 games in, bottom 3), maybe time to change to this tactic?

edit, won my last 4-5 games with Ratain possession off, looks a lot better for flow... hmmmm

Without retain possession I'm scoring more and conceding a bit more too. I've been thinking about using retain on certain games where I want to keep hold of a small lead, have also been thinking of using direct passing when having a lead to get more counters. Like the Attacking Real Madrid like counter tactic from the CCC article if you are familiar with that. I'll post a list of results later.

OK.....

*****TAKE RETAIN POSSESSION OFF BOTH TACTICS*****

Its much more free flowing.

I'll update the downloads.

I downloaded and am trying your tactics as I can't get anything to work in this version at the moment. Is this the only change you have made to the tactics since you uploaded them originally, it's just I don't want to re-download them again unless I have to? Cheers.

I downloaded and am trying your tactics as I can't get anything to work in this version at the moment. Is this the only change you have made to the tactics since you uploaded them originally, it's just I don't want to re-download them again unless I have to? Cheers.

Yeah, just removed retain possession. Everything else identical.

Mr Rosler, you know your given attributes for each position, what number do you aim for as a minimum?

Cheers in advance :thup:

It vary's according to division. Premier League i would aim for 15, you're unlikely to get that in all 4 attributes especially in some of the roles but its a target to aim for.

Without retain possession I'm scoring more and conceding a bit more too. I've been thinking about using retain on certain games where I want to keep hold of a small lead, have also been thinking of using direct passing when having a lead to get more counters. Like the Attacking Real Madrid like counter tactic from the CCC article if you are familiar with that. I'll post a list of results later.

This echo's my experience. Using 'retain' as a shout to protect a lead late on is a good strategy.

With 'retain' off, our high tempo and attacking strategy will increase the passing range anyway, you might not need direct passing on.

Ok my results since dropping Retain Possession:

Irony Kiryat A: 3-0

Udinese A: 2-1

Cesena A: 2-0

Napoli H: 3-3 was 1-3 down though

Irony Kiryat H: 2-0

Empoli H 3-1

Cagliari A: 3-1

Viktoria Plzen H: 2-0

Sassuolo A: 2-2

Just a question, I've rarely scored from corners, do you have success using aim at far post? I though aim at near post was broken this FM like in every FM that's just released. Might be just me though. Also with the closing down set to very high what do you think of preventing short options (to the gk)?

edit2: I'm 3d in the league btw and won 5/5 EC matches so I'm happy.

Ok my results since dropping Retain Possession:

Irony Kiryat A: 3-0

Udinese A: 2-1

Cesena A: 2-0

Napoli H: 3-3 was 1-3 down though

Irony Kiryat H: 2-0

Empoli H 3-1

Cagliari A: 3-1

Viktoria Plzen H: 2-0

Sassuolo A: 2-2

Just a question, I've rarely scored from corners, do you have success using aim at far post? I though aim at near post was broken this FM like in every FM that's just released. Might be just me though.

That's a lot more goals :thup:

Not really but not put a lot of work into set pieces yet, i score a few and kinda settled for that.

If someone's got a better routine i'd be interested, as long as its not a short corner exploit.

I find setting - retain possession - in away games against the more difficult opposition (thus being Derby/Wolves etc etc) works more effectively with my team

Eg...I played the same game twice and without RP lost 4-2 and with won 3-1 away to Derby.

I'm still tinkering with it atm, but it's great to have a tactic platform to work from.

:applause::applause:

Kazm, what i do for Corners with my team is have tallest striker challenge keeper, and then all my forward players on 1 area of the corner options. your 2 DC on the standard spots (near post, far post). Rest stand back if needed , DL DR stay back. Might give it a try by switching DC's with my full backs though.

Kazm, what i do for Corners with my team is have tallest striker challenge keeper, and then all my forward players on 1 area of the corner options. your 2 DC on the standard spots (near post, far post). Rest stand back if needed , DL DR stay back. Might give it a try by switching DC's with my full backs though.

Thanks might try that. Can use some lucky corners.

Just lost to Sampdoria (#1 in the Serie A :p) after coming back from 2-0 down and then AC Milan after a red card they scored from a corner in the 93th minute. Dropped to 5th position because of that but 1 win can make me 3rd again. Gonna aim for 3rd place this season. Got Clyne, Pereyra (from Juve/Udinese) and Balotti coming in next season + the loaned out left back.

Archived