An Iberian Adventure : I don't think Iberian here before

Raware

Game : Football Manager 2015 (PC)

Database size : Large

Leagues loaded :

• France (National and above)
  • Portugal (National Championship and above)
  • Spain (Second Division B and above)

Previous experience : Sunday morning footballer

Another year…another FM :)…I usually don’t buy the newest release until a few months after it’s been released but the reviews I’ve been hearing about FM15 persuaded me to part with my cash early…so early that I’ve actually started playing the save using the Beta version.

As mentioned above, I’ve loaded the Iberian countries France, Portugal and Spain (obviously the Andorran league isn’t included in the game) namely due to the fact that I was on holiday in Spain when I started this save. I’ve started this save with Sunday morning experience and have taken over one of the weakest teams in the Spanish leagues, Marbella (as I was holidaying near here).

Wiki link to everything you need to know about the Iberian Peninsula :D.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a0Ig1AK.png

Marbella : A background

Founded in 1997, Marbella Football Club are a semi-professional football club currently playing in the Spanish Second Division B4. Marbella narrowly avoided relegation from the Second Division B4 last season.

The club play their home games at Municipal de Marbella and possess average training facilities and basic youth facilities. The club also has fairly basic junior coaching and a fairly basic youth recruitment network. The club is affectionately known as Los Blanquillos.

Having enjoyed success as recently as 2014, Los Blanquillos are a club with a growing history. Marbella won the Spanish 3rd tier in for the only time in 1992, and won the Spanish 4th tier in 1991, 2001 and 2014 and finished runners up seven times.

RLdRlxf.jpg

Municipal de Marbella

Marbella - Pre-Season 2014/15

a0Ig1AK.png

Marbella

League expectation

-------------------------

Spanish Second Division B4 : Board expectation - Stay clear of automatic relegation : Media expectation - 16th (out of 20)

Cup expectations

---------------------

Spanish Cup : Be competitive

Transfer budget : £0k

Wage budget : £10k p/w

Current wage bill : £10k p/w

Season tickets sold : 700

My views for the season ahead… : The media are predicting for us to be in for a relegation battle whilst the board are just wanting us to avoid the drop. Given that I don’t speak Spanish and I’m an inexperienced manager with Sunday morning football as my only previous experience, I can only be happy with those expectations. Also, given that I have no money to spend as well, I’ll probably have to utilize the loan market if we’re to bring in the quality that we need to help us try and stay in this division.

It's not a new edition of FM until FMCU gets another boring Raware won-the-lot thread. ;)

It's not a new edition of FM until FMCU gets another standard Jason the Yank comment "another boring Raware won-the-lot thread" ;)

The Iberian peninsula and Hong Kong are quite far from each other! :)

Don't forget to bring some high quality HK imports over there, and I'm not talking about bootleg DVDs of TVB dramas.

Another year…another FM :)…I usually don’t buy the newest release until a few months after it’s been released but the reviews I’ve been hearing about FM15 persuaded me to part with my cash early…so early that I’ve actually started playing the save using the Beta version.

Did you not miss all my rants about player interaction? :D

The Iberian peninsula and Hong Kong are quite far from each other! :)

Don't forget to bring some high quality HK imports over there, and I'm not talking about bootleg DVDs of TVB dramas.

Did you not miss all my rants about player interaction? :D

I missed those...I must've been sunbathing then! :D

best of luck
Should be good! Will be following :thup:
Good luck! I'll be following and what a puntastic title!

Cheers fellas.

I don't think France is in Iberia ;)

Neither did I...but I linked the Wiki page at the top 'cause they think it is. Wiki link :D

Marbella - Season Review 2014/15

a0Ig1AK.png

Marbella

Spanish Second Division B4/Spanish Second Division B4 fixtures/Spanish Second Division B4 progress : An unbelievable 1st season in charge saw us confound the critics as we hovered around the top half of the table all season until the last few months as we sneaked to the top of the league with 6 games remaining to clinch the Second Division B4 title by 4 points :eek:. It wasn’t automatic promotion for us though as we still had to play the play-offs which saw a couple of crazy score lines as we luckily managed to beat Real Union 9-7 on aggregate in the semi’s whilst defeating Gimnastic 8-4 on aggregate in the final to confirm our place in Liga Adelante next season! :D

Spanish Cup : Knocked out in the 2nd round by Ferrol.

Transfers : Like I said in pre-season, we had no money so we had to look to utilize the loan market if we wanted to bring in any players. Luckily, we had neighbours Malaga as our parent club who were kind enough to send 7 players on loan to us…and what a difference they made! We also signed youngster Jose Luis Martinez on a free transfer who looks a decent prospect for the future.

Squad : Before we started the season, I was told that the group of players that I inherited were amongst the weakest in the league and that they’d struggle to make an impression. They couldn’t have been that bad as they won the league while Borja Rubiato finished as the leagues top goal scorer with 39 goals in 44 games! I honestly can’t remember the last time I had a striker who scored that many goals! Carlos Portero and Jose Manuel Hermosa also had a great season as they contributed 21 goals from midfield while Juanpi finished as our 2nd highest scorer with 13 for the season.

Finances : Not great as we’re £400k in the red and predicted to be in even more debt next season. Promotion to Liga Adelante though should ease our money worries slightly.

My views of the season… : A quite incredible 1st season for us as we clinched the Second Division B4 league title whilst also claiming promotion to Liga Adelante!

My aims for next season… : Survival. That’s it! There’s no doubt that we’ll need to strengthen but it depends who we can get in. We might be in stall for a long, hard season!

Career Summary

Season     Team           	 League          		 Position       Spanish Cup	  Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014/15    Marbella    		 Segunda Division B4	           1st (P)      2nd round	  League winners

Congrats on the title and promotion :thup:
Congrats on the title win!

Ta lads. Quite an unexpected title win even by my standards :)

Looks like Prophet Jason has nailed it :D

Well done on promotion, and getting quickly out of the pain that is Segunda B!

Another title win *yawn*

:D

Well done!

Thanks lads. No tone of sarcasm whatsoever...:D Glad I got out of Segunda B so quickly...just hope I don't return anytime soon!

Thanks lads. No tone of sarcasm whatsoever...:D Glad I got out of Segunda B so quickly...just hope I don't return anytime soon!

I remember reading somewhere years ago that Segunda B is referred to as "The Well" because it's easy to fall into and hard to get out of. :D

Have to say a very well done on your first season. Seems you weren't just there to sun it up. But we'll have less of the success and more of the normality please. :D

Thanks NF. Don't you go jinxing me already though! I had enough of that last year (when I didn't win the lot :))

I remember reading somewhere years ago that Segunda B is referred to as "The Well" because it's easy to fall into and hard to get out of. :D

I can understand why as even though we managed to win the title, we weren't guaranteed promotion and still had to go through a play-off. As you say, "easy to fall into", so I'm hoping we can avoid an immediate return. One things for sure though...we won't be "winning the lot" anytime soon...not with the likes of Barca and Real around :D

Marbella - Pre-Season 2015/16

a0Ig1AK.png

Marbella

League expectation

Spanish Liga Adelante : Board expectation - Stay clear of automatic relegation : Media expectation - 21st (out of 22)

Cup expectations

---------------------

Spanish Cup : 2nd round

Transfer budget : £175k

Wage budget : £39k p/w

Current wage bill : £33k p/w

Season tickets sold : 1443 (+743 from last season)

My views for the season ahead… : Without a doubt we’re surefire favourites (along with Lucena) to go straight back down and understandably so after surprising everyone last season by winning promotion from Segunda B when a relegation battle was more likely for us. The board want us to stay clear of relegation so to help us try and achieve that I’ve used the increased transfer and wage budgets given to me to bring in a few faces, which we undeniably need. In come Ernesto Cornejo and Juanpi both from At. Malagueno on free transfers after impressing me last season when they joined us on loan while Rafa joins us once again on a 2nd successive seasons long loan after impressing me last season. We raided our parent club one more time as we signed the highly promising Roberto Chen on a free transfer while Sergi Juste and Igor Etxebarrieta joined us on free transfers. The money I’ve been given has been spent on Tete who we signed for £75k from Toledo while we smashed the clubs transfer record by signing Chico for £100k from Linense. Hopefully these players can strengthen the squad and give us the bit of quality and experience that we need to survive.

Well done making it out of that minefield league.
Great work Raware making it out of Segunda B. Just gotta survive in Adelante!

If you don't win one of the 4 divisions in Segunda B, it's a much much tougher task to get promoted from my experience.

Nice team and first season interesting to see if u stay at Marbella and make them big :)

Players would love the scenery .

Cheers fellas :thup:. Astonishingly, I've never played the Spanish leagues on FM (I've only played the Portuguese and French leagues once before) so the promotion process was new to me. I heard it was difficult to get out of Segunda B and I can see why now. Thankfully though, we're out of it quickly and hopefully we can consolidate in Liga Adelante for a while now.

Nice title win, going to be tough next season good luck!
well done on the title

Thanks guys.

Random question, since you have only 3 nations loaded, are you using FMC or the full fat version of FM?

Always full fat FM. I don't like the limited versions of FM and can't play any other way other than the full version. Only 3 nations loaded as I just wanted Iberian countries (according to Wiki, France is part of it too:)) to begin with plus it keeps the process time fairly quick. I may load a few more leagues in the future though.

Marbella - Season Review 2015/16

a0Ig1AK.png

Marbella

Spanish LIGA Adelante/Spanish LIGA Adelante progress : Everyone was expecting a tough season in store for us this year, most notably me but we surprised a few people (including myself) as we began the season in great form, even sitting 2nd in the league at one stage for a few weeks! While we eventually and understandably fell off the pace of the front 4 or 5 teams, we did actually manage to hold our own in this league as we hovered in and around the play-off places for much of the season until the last 4 or 5 games which saw us fall down the league to eventually finish 10th, just 3 points off the play-offs; an outstanding achievement for us considering where we’ve come from in the last couple of seasons. Our fellow promoted teams from last season, Lucena, Gimnastic and Cadiz had very different seasons as Lucena were relegated back to Segunda B, Gimnastic avoided the drop by 5 points while Cadiz made it to the play-offs where they lost to Numancia who eventually claimed the 3rd promotion spot behind Almeria and Osasuna.

Spanish Cup : Out in the 2nd round again although this time at the hands of Racing (who were actually relegated) as they trounced us 4-0.

Transfers : We signed 8 players in the summer transfer window to give us a bit of depth and quality to compete at this level and we added some more during the course of the season as 5 more players joined us. In came strikers Mariano and Jorge Galan to give us some extra fire power up front while defender Raul Llorente and midfielder Guillermo all joined us on free transfers. Juampe was the last of our signings as he joined from Linense for £50k to take our total spending this season to £225k while 8 players went in the opposite direction.

Squad : I was slightly worried at the start of the season that the squad of players we had weren’t up to the standard of playing at this level but the existing players and the players that came in proved that they were more than capable of holding their own in this league. Last seasons top scorer Borja Rubiato failed to reach the tally of goals that he did last season but he still managed to reach double figures (just!) as it was new signing Mariano that grabbed most of the goals for us as he netted 21 times. Our other striker Jorge Galan had a decent season for us as he scored 9 times as he played more of a supporting attacker but it was our midfielder Carlos Portero who caught my eye with some great performances and 13 goals from midfield. Rafa also impressed on loan again as I made his stay with us permanent with his contract at Malaga running out at the end of the season.

Finances : Getting worse as we’re now £1 million in debt and it’s only predicted to get worse.

My views of the season… : A great season for us in Liga Adelante when many people had expected us to struggle. Normally I’d be disappointed to fade away like we did at the end of the season but my only aim this season was survival so to finish 10th was very pleasing.

My aims for next season… : After proving that we’re more than capable of playing at this level I think we have to aim for a mid-table finish next season.

Career Summary

Season     Team           	 League          		 Position       Spanish Cup	  Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014/15    Marbella    		 Segunda Division B4	           1st   (P)    2nd round	  League winners
2015/16    Marbella		 LIGA Adelante			   10th		2nd round	  -

Marbella - Pre-Season 2016/17

a0Ig1AK.png

Marbella

League expectation

Spanish Liga Adelante : Board expectation - Respectable league position : Media expectation - 16th (out of 22)

Cup expectations

---------------------

Spanish Cup : 3rd round

Transfer budget : £90k

Wage budget : £57k p/w

Current wage bill : £52k p/w

Season tickets sold : 3772 (+2329 from last season)

My views for the season ahead… : We proved last season that we were more than capable of staying in this division as we silenced the critics who said we’d go straight back down by finishing 10th. I do feel though that we may have slightly overachieved hence my aim of finishing mid table this season, an aim which the board share while the media are predicting us to finish 16th. We’ve let a few faces go this summer as 7 players left us, but 7 have come in…those being Rafa from our parent club Malaga, after spending the past 2 seasons on loan with us, Jose Aurelio Suarez and Agostinho Ca from Barcelona B, Victor Diaz from Recreativo and Agus all on free transfers while Fokobo joins us from Sporting Lisbon and Bobley Anderson joins from our parent club Malaga, both on season long loans.

Marbelous.

Puntastic!

Finances are shagged, I see :D

Pretty much, yeah! :(

Got some solid players for the upcoming season. :)

Yeah, some we've added some good quality to the squad, especially in our defensive areas so I'm hoping for a decent season and to concede less goals than we did last season!:D

• 4 weeks later...

Marbella - Season Review 2016/17

a0Ig1AK.png

Marbella

Spanish LIGA Adelante/Spanish LIGA Adelante progress : After our relatively successful first season in LIGA Adelante last year which saw us finish 10th and easily avoid relegation, I was more than aware of the danger this season of second season syndrome. Fortunately for us, there was no sign of that as we kicked on and improved on our great season last year to go on and finish 5th in the league and qualify for the play-offs! Unfortunately though, the play-offs proved to be too much for us as we went out in the semi-final to Las Palmas over 2 legs as they themselves failed in the final as Sporting defeated them to claim the final 3rd promotion spot.

Spanish Cup : We went the furthest we’ve ever been in the cup as we reached the 4th round where we were understandably knocked out by Real Madrid over 2 legs.

Transfers : In addition to the 7 players we signed in the summer, we made an additional 4 more signings over the course of the season as Diego Mauricio, Gai Assulin and Alex Lopez all joined us on free transfers while Miguel Torres joined us on loan until the end of the season.

Squad : The squad did exceptionally well to kick on and improve on the previous season as we had a good run in the cup while also making it to the play-offs, even though we did lose in the semi-final. Without a doubt, our key player was Mariano who broke all sorts of records as he netted 35 times in 48 games as he became our all time top scorer while also claiming the LIGA Adelante top scorer award. Our other striker, Diego Mauricio also had a good season for us since joining us in the summer as he grabbed 16 goals while Guillermo also did well as he scored 7 times whilst assisting 18 times.

Finances : We’re still £1 million in debt but the new chairman has stopped us going further into debt since taking over as he’s taken out a bank loan while also providing a couple of cash injections.

My views of the season… : Another great season for us saw us consolidate our place in LIGA Adelante as we once again surpassed our expectations by finishing in the play-offs. I also have to be happy with some of our players performances over the course of the season, especially Mariano, who’s 35 goals this year, coupled with his 21 last, now makes him our all time top scorer as his record reads 56 goals in 84 games…not a bad record!

My aims for next season… : We’ve proven ourselves to be worthy of our place in LIGA Adelante now after the last couple of seasons and relegation shouldn’t even be a thought for us now. After coming so close this season in the play-offs I’d like to think that we could at least match that next season but I know it’s going to be tough and I think I’d actually be happy if we could make the top 10…it’d be nice if we could sneak into the play-offs again though and go one better :).

One other piece of news this season was the completion of my National C Licence…finally! :)

Career Summary

2014/15    Marbella    		 Segunda Division B4	           1st   (P)    2nd round	  League winners
2015/16    Marbella		 LIGA Adelante			   10th		2nd round	  -
2016/17    Marbella              LIGA Adelante			   5th          4th round         Lost in Play-off Semi final

Archived