FM15: Chorley FC - The Flight of The Magpies

Noel Gallagher

Chorley Football Club: The Flight of The Magpies

QsZ8I6j.png

Club Background

Chorley Football Club are football club from Chorley, Lancashire, England. They were originally founded as a rugby club in 1875 but switched to football in 1883. They have reached the semi-finals of the FA Cup on two occasions (1986-87 and 1990-91) and have reached the semi-final of the FA Trophy in 1995-96. Chorley will play in the Vanarama Conference North for the 2014-15 season after being promoted from the Northern Premier League in 2013-14. Chorley Football Club play their home games at Victory Park - which has a capacity of 4,100 with 900 seats.

5mnrhoN.jpg?2

Peter Watson holds the record for the highest number of goals scored in a single season with 71 (57 league goals) in the 1960–61 season. He also holds the highest aggregate goalscorer record of 372 (287 league, 85 cup) between September 1958 and February 1966. The club's widest victory margin was their 14–1 home win against Morecambe in April 1946. Their widest victory margin during wartime was 16–0 against Leyland Motors in September 1944. Chorley's record attendance was 15,153 v Preston North End in the FA Cup, played at Ewood Park, home of Blackburn Rovers on 6 December 1986. At Victory Park Chorley's record attendance was 9,679 in a FA Cup 4th qualifying round match against Darwen on 15 November 1932.

Club Information

Profile: The club has enjoyed a rise through the divisions within recent seasons. This is mainly due to the appointment of Garry Flitcroft as manager - his appointment has seen a marked increase in gates at Victory Park as well as being able to attract better players to the club for the level they were playing at.

General Information: The club is predicted to finish 19th this season so it looks like a brave battle against relegation is on the cards. The good thing is our fierce rivals, AFC Fylde, are also in the same division so some added spice will be added to this season.

Facilities: Very minimal facilities to work with.

Finances: As with any club at this level, no money for signings and we're expected to be in the red come the end of the season. I will need to monitor this and ensure we don't lose too much throughout the season.

Squad: The assistant manager report isn't that reliable considering their low ability at judging ability and potential. However, the squad (especially the defence) is not very good for this level. I will definitely need to look at recruiting better defenders.

Manager Profile: I have added myself with no coaching badges with the reputation of Sunday League Footballer. The image shows my formation as 4-4-2 but I will actually be playing my usual 4-1-2-2-1 formation.

Game Setup

I have loaded the English leagues only but have included players of national reputation for each continent. This brings the player count up to 43,000.

Career Aim

The aim of this career is to take Chorley through the English leagues to the Premier League. Once I have got there I aim to win it and the Champions League titles and then establish Chorley as the number 1 team in world football. Aside from that I just want to enjoy the save and win as much as I can. I will develop my youth facilities throughout the game and will aim to focus primarily on youth.

Wish me luck, I am going to need it! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chorley Football Club: Season 2014/2015

dgbUnmb.png

Competitions

League Table: Predicted to finish 19th we did better than expected with a poor quality side. However, I feel we could have done better had we started the campaign as strongly as we finished it.

FA Trophy: With the main focus of the season being survival this competition was a very low priority.

FA Cup: We wanted to do well in this, with the hope of progressing and drawing a big club. However, we were knocked out early before the main draw began.

Club

Squad: Many of the players are only rated as being good enough for the regional premier divisions by my assistant. I am letting a huge chunk of the squad leave in the summer to bring in new talent.

Finances: Still in the black.... for now.

Transfers: Not much activity yet but expect to see a lot more during the summer transfer window!

Player & Staff Profiles

Dale Witham: My most promising player in regards to his potential. My assistant feels he could become a top League 1 player in future.

Adam Dodd: Another promising young player who I intend to see develop more next season.

Darren Stephenson: Probably the best striker at my club - this highlights the lack of quality we currently have and the need to bring in new players over the summer.

Mick Halsall: Imagine my joy when he was interested in joining my club as Assistant Manager - check out that JPA and JPP :cool:

Next Season

My goal for the new season is to revamp the playing squad over the summer. However, I don't think I will be able to push for promotion next season. I expect to tread water in this division for another season or two while I scout and recruit the younger players. Once they have developed I believe that will be the point where I kick on and start to motor through the leagues. I would be more than happy with a top half finish next season.

Career Overview

Season	  Division		Position    Other Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------
2014/15	  Conference North	15th	    None

I've made my first signing of the close season and I'm very excited by it.

At just 15 years old James Wright is a central defender and my assistant believes he has the potential to be a decent Championship player.

Needless to say... he's already better than what I have, despite his tender age!​

Chorley Football Club: Season 2015/2016

dgbUnmb.png

Season Predictions / Expectations

Board Expectations: Yet again the board expected another brave fight against relegation.

Media Prediction: A view also shared by the media.

Competitions

League Table: I didn't make any progress this season, I was quite disappointed with this.

FA Trophy: Another early exit from this competition.

FA Cup: We did better than expected here (just) but I would have liked to have made the main draw.

Club

Squad: A lot of the younger players I have brought in still aren't quite ready. Within the next two seasons we should be ready to really kick on.

Finances: We are now in the red.

Transfers: Quite a number of signings made, mainly young players who I hope to see develop in the next two seasons.

Player & Staff Profiles

James Lawrie: Top goalscorer and player of the season. Not a bad return from the right sided inside forward.

James Wright: Easily the best player at the club. I need to make sure I keep him tied down. I really don't want to lose him on the cheap!

Jack Lynch: Our main creator from central midfield. Another one with very good potential for this level.

Jordan Agbaje: Second highest goalscorer. We really need a prolific centre forward.

Next Season

The goal now is to aim for a top half finish. I believe the younger players will step up this season, my defenders are going to be pretty strong, but we just need some extra firepower up top. I will try my best in the cups but I am going to rest key players as the priority is the league.

Career Overview

2015/16	  Conference North	16th	    None

I have currently been waiting for the opportunity to manage Chorley FC, I have been a massive believer that one day they would be on peoples radars and finally they are starting to move up. I will be following this thread to see how you progress. Best of luck to you! I have also just started a Chorley FC career and understand the annoyance that the club can bring. I will start up my own thread, I would love to hear more about your progress. Keep up the good work!

I have currently been waiting for the opportunity to manage Chorley FC, I have been a massive believer that one day they would be on peoples radars and finally they are starting to move up. I will be following this thread to see how you progress. Best of luck to you! I have also just started a Chorley FC career and understand the annoyance that the club can bring. I will start up my own thread, I would love to hear more about your progress. Keep up the good work!

Being a Leylander I'm inbetween Chorley and Preston. Managing Chorley seemed like way more of a challenge and a lot of fun! It would be good to see how you get along with your own Chorley career so I'm looking forward to seeing your thread :)

Now THIS is a coup for QPR!!

To be fair, I didn't even realise he'd moved to Middlesbrough within the game before QPR.

I noticed Zidane on my game, I believe at Southampton!

Good luck with Chorley! Good to see another another Conference North career. Will be following closely.

I noticed Zidane on my game, I believe at Southampton!

Good luck with Chorley! Good to see another another Conference North career. Will be following closely.

Thank you :thup:

I'm going to keep a close eye on Zidane's managerial career throughout mine. I hope one day our paths will cross!

I can see it now... "Chorley destroy aging Zidane's Champions League dreams"

I certainly hope so, I think we're a few years away from that though at the moment :D

Good start mate, like the LLM careers quite a bit, my mate at school today said Chorley is probably the hardest to do because they have nothing at all, am I right in saying so?

They've not got the best side that's for sure! Although I bet the tactical gurus out there could make them perform better than I can.

I'm no tactical expert as my play style relies on getting good players in over time, my tactics are very basic and very attacking! It doesn't help that Chorley have a really slow and poor defence to begin with.

You can gather with my username where I am from and what team I support. I've just finished my first season as Chorley boss and finished 15th. Majority of my team left because they didn't like the way I managed the team! Whoever did the research for Chorley didn't seem to do it justice IMHO as our defence was one of the best last season and our strike force was something to be reckoned with. I will be watching this thread closely! Good luck.

You can gather with my username where I am from and what team I support. I've just finished my first season as Chorley boss and finished 15th. Majority of my team left because they didn't like the way I managed the team! Whoever did the research for Chorley didn't seem to do it justice IMHO as our defence was one of the best last season and our strike force was something to be reckoned with. I will be watching this thread closely! Good luck.

Thank you - I hope your second season goes better than my 16th place finish :thup:

I'll have a season 3 write up very soon, I've had my daughter this weekend so haven't had much chance to play. Will post an update tomorrow :)

Thank you - I hope your second season goes better than my 16th place finish :thup:

I'll have a season 3 write up very soon, I've had my daughter this weekend so haven't had much chance to play. Will post an update tomorrow :)

Surely you could have had some quality father/daughter bonding time playing FM? :)

Chorley Football Club: Season 2016/2017

dgbUnmb.png

Season Expectations / Predictions

Board Expectations: A Respectable league position.

Media Prediction: A somewhat strange prediction considering in the last two seasons we've finished 15th and 16th respectively

Competitions

League Table: Definitely an improvement on the last two seasons. Perhaps not quite as much as I'd have liked though.

FA Trophy: The, now customary, early exit from the competition.

FA Cup: Disappointing to get knocked out as early as we did.

Club

Squad: The squad still isn't up to the standard I want. A couple of young players have good potential but I need to bring in some faces for here and now.

Finances: Still in the red. The Chairman put in about £50k to clear some of the debt. It was actually worse than this at one stage.

Transfers: Some good players brought in who should really kick on next season. However Edward Sanders doesn't want to sign a new contract and he's one of my best defenders :(

Player & Staff Profiles

Brett Fisinger: One of my best young players and I think he will make the step up to first team next season.

Jordan Smith: New, promising young goalkeeper.

James Wright: Outstanding player for this level. Wanted by several Championship clubs. I can't imagine him being with me for much longer :(

Jack Lynch: Main goalscorer from midfield.

Jordan Agbaje: Top goalscorer this season. Improved a lot from last season. Still need someone more lethal to lead the line as he struggles against the top teams in the division.

Next Season

The aim for next season HAS to be the play-offs!

Career Overview

2016/17	  Conference North	8th	    None

Had a player very similar to Wright last year in my Oxford City FM14 save. Definitely recommend to avoid selling him at all costs as I was sacked in my second season in the Skrill Premier (fourth overall) after selling him for €50k, thinking it would be best for the club. Of course, the backline fell apart after this and the money we got for him never made a big difference. Keep the quality while you can!

Anyways, great thread. :)

Nice improvement on the first couple of years. With the right additions a Play Off push hopefully on the cards next season.

Thank you - I hope so. The key is to add a little more depth. We do well but suffer with injuries around December / January when the fixtures clog up a bit. I try and rest players but the squad isn't deep enough for rotation.

Had a player very similar to Wright last year in my Oxford City FM14 save. Definitely recommend to avoid selling him at all costs as I was sacked in my second season in the Skrill Premier (fourth overall) after selling him for €50k, thinking it would be best for the club. Of course, the backline fell apart after this and the money we got for him never made a big difference. Keep the quality while you can!

Anyways, great thread. :)

Thanks :) - I really don't want to lose him but the offers I have received so far have been really poor for a player of his potential. I am happy to let him leave for nothing at the end of this season rather than, like you say, sell him for peanuts mid season without being able to replace him.

:lol::lol::lol:

#joysofthegame

:D

Chorley Football Club: Season 2017/2018

dgbUnmb.png

Board Expectations: The board would be happy with another respectable league position.

Media Prediction: The media actually predicted that we would fare slightly worse than last season.

Competitions

League Table: A much improved season. I wasn’t expecting this with the start I had. I just couldn’t catch the top 2. We got our reward in the play-off final though.

FA Trophy: The first XI were rested during this competition as the league was the priority.

FA Cup: Like the FA Trophy, the first XI were rested for fringe and backup players for this competition.

Club

Squad: Some strong performances from our key players and the younger players stepped up to the plate this season – they’re finally showing their potential.

Finances: The sale of James Wright to Leeds has left us in a healthy looking financial position.

Transfers: I didn’t go over the top with transfers. I just made sure I replaced who needed replacing and signed free transfer players and loan players.

Player & Staff Profiles

Dion Charles: One of the young players I signed a couple of seasons ago. He had a great season from the left inside forward position.

Fraser Murdoch: Striker signed on a free transfer. Struggled with fitness at first but then started banging them in towards the end of the season.

Quade Taylor: Brought in as a replacement for James Wright. Did himself proud with a number of solid performances.

Callum Bullock: The winger was released from Man City a couple of seasons ago and broke the record for number of assists in a season for the Conference North.

Next Season

A new division so the main aim will be to ensure we stay in it while strengthening the squad in all areas.

Career Overview

2017/18	  Conference North	3rd	    Promoted via play-offs

Amazing progress all around last season. Being healthy financially is great to see.

That keeper looks class for the Conference, wow!

I made a big mistake signing him though - I didn't realise I'd signed him without him gaining a work permit!

He's class but I can't actually use him! :D

Chorley Football Club: Season 2018/2019

vrMkP7Q.png

Board Expectations: Our first season in the Conference and the board expectations are a mid-table finish.

Media Prediction: The media also predict we will finish around this area.

Competitions

League Table: We had a couple of baron spells but I was pleased with the overall outcome. We finished strongly but left ourselves too much to do to reach the play-offs.

FA Trophy: We met our expectations with a 3rd round exit.

FA Cup: We got taken to school here. Disappointed with this early exit.

Club

Squad: We brought in several new faces this season. My thought process was that I want players who will be able to cope with the challenges of League 2 when we eventually get there.

Finances: The James Wright money has gone…. On nothing but wages and fees

Transfers: Lots of free transfer signings. I had the next 2 seasons in mind when bringing these players in.

Player & Staff Profiles

Paul White: A new goalkeeper who has great attributes for this level.

George Proctor: A young defender who I intend to build my defence around.

Yvan Wassi: Exciting young full back.

Oliver McBurnie: Suffered with fitness problems since signing, hasn’t yet hit the heights I would like but I’m hoping he finds his feet (and the back of the net) next season.

Next Season

I have already lined up my transfer targets for next season. I believe with these new signings I can finish in the play-off spots next season.

Career Overview

2018/19	  Conference		10th	    None

Keep finishing in a relegation scrap. I still have: Grundy, Dodd, Mather, Teague, Dorney, Jarvis, Whitham, Cottrell, Baker and Stephenson left from the original team.

I've tried all the formations, gone route one and also played it passing about (They can't pass to save their lives!).

I'm shocked I've still got a job.

Chorley Football Club: Season 2019/2020

vrMkP7Q.png

Board Expectations: The board would be happy following up last season with another respectable league position.

Media Prediction: The media predict a mid-table finish.

Competitions

League Table: We went unbeaten over the last 16 games of the season. I was not expecting this to happen!

FA Trophy: Yet again, we failed to make any kind of impression on this division.

FA Cup: A nice little run to the 2nd round where we were unlucky against Blackpool.

Club

Squad: We will need to strengthen all areas next season.

Finances: Still just about keeping in the black. Mainly due to the board injecting £50k here and there and a couple of loans.

Transfers: Some careful additions to the squad we had from last season.

Player & Staff Profiles

Mickey Demetriou: A fine number of assists from the left back.

Jack Byrne: The young midfielfer got the best average rating out of all my players this season.

Danny O’Brien: Top goalscorer and assist maker this season. Great performance from the right sided inside forward.

Danny Davies: Welsh left sided inside forward signed in November came in and scored some vital goals during our run in.

Next Season

We’ve finally reached the football league. I don’t know what to expect but I just want us to stay in it now we’ve got there. In past experience of real life and FM teams that get promoted to League 2 usually do pretty well as there isn’t much difference in quality.

Let battle commence!

Career Overview

2019/20	  Conference		1st	    Promoted as Champions

Nice career man! I'm trying to work Hyde up right now. I'm currently in my second season being promoted in the first one.

Thanks man! I'll pop over to your thread and see how you're getting along :)

Saw some screenshots of your players, fantastic players you have! Normally you should gain promotion again next season without any problem.

The only problem is I don't have the depth, if my key players get injured we struggle. I was quite lucky really this season and we didn't have many injuries. Could have been a different story otherwise.

Chorley Football Club: Season 2020/2021

SlqjoIa.png

Board Expectations: The board expected a battle against relegation this season.

Media Prediction: A view echoed by the media.

Competitions

League Table: By my own admission I took this division too lightly and didn’t strengthen when I should have done. This ultimately cost me a shot at the play-offs. I will learn from this next season.

Johnstone’s Paint Trophy: Largely forgettable first season in this competition as we ran into a tough side.

Capital One Cup: Shocking!

FA Cup: Got to the 2nd round but ultimately got beaten by bigger and better opposition.

Club

Squad: A couple of promising additions ahead of next season. I need to make sure I strengthen a few key areas.

Finances: They weren’t looking great at one stage but the money we got paid for competing in League 2 fixed that.

Transfers: Only 3 signings made in the summer ahead of the league campaign. Bad mistake!

Player & Staff Profiles

Nathan Barnard: One to look out for next season. Promising young central defender.

Klaus Nielsen: Easily our best player. Signed on a free from Curzon Ashton after he was released by Liverpool.

Danny O’Brien: Top goal scorer again but finding it tougher.

Danny Davies: Another good season from the young Welshman.

Danny Herbert: Young striker signed on loan from Charlton. Hoping to get him again next season. I think I will have a pretty formidable attack next season for this level.

Next Season

I’m going all out for promotion this season. I think we can achieve it with the right additions to the squad.

Career Overview

2019/20	  Conference		1st	    Promoted as Champions
2020/21	  League 2		11th	    None

Bolton is really struggling in your save
Yep, I've seen it on one or two other saves where they struggle badly. They've got major financial problems which is killing them. I can't believe they're going to be playing non-league football next season, it's incredible.

Archived