Am I too old For FM now??

SWJ

Guys

I've been playing the game for many years now and sometimes I wonder how much of my life FM has taken up! :eek:

How old are you and how long have you been playing for?

What age do you reckon you should stop???

Not saying that I am an OAP, far from it but just wondering to I hang my boots up or carry on for a couple of seasons! ;)

Rgs.S

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am 42 and have been playing CM/FM since 1996. Before that I had an Amiga, and before that a ZX Spectrum and played football management games on both. :(

Me and my mate used to cringe at how many hours 'wasted' on this franchise, as in if we'd spent the hours learning languages or doing OU courses.... :D

I'm now 22 and started with FMH 2006.

Then I went on with FMH 07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14 until I finally moved on to FMC14 (Vita).

My moto for FM has been: if it's not mobile, I can't possibly like it.

Edit: I guess FMH15 will be my 10th year :D

(anybody wants to treat me for that?)

I am now 50 and have purchased every version since 1992. My 1st wife left me in 94 and cited Championship Manager (pre-split) as one of the causes.

Wow, you have lost a wife! I have lost a girlfriend over this game. Going back a few years and playing Championship Manager 98 I was always late for our dates, because I played just one more game!!! :( (that famous saying hey!)

37, 20 years (CM Italia) I played Tracksuit Manager, Soccer Boss, Football Director, Soccer 7 (a management game of an indoor tournament!), Multi Player Soccer Manager (which had the easiest cheat in the world in it) and probably loads of other rubbish on my speccy, then C64

35 and 20ish years.

My now wife and I were friends when we were kids back in the mid 90s. I used to spend whole days in school holidays round at her house playing Ultimate Soccer Manager (you could build the ground!) on her brother's PC. She knew what she was getting herself into, FM over-usage would never stand up in court. :lol:

I've actually asked her if she's bothered that I play a lot. She said that she doesn't mind - I'm in the room, can hold a conversation so it's all okay.

48 and been playin since 92,futi manager seen off 1 ex wife and numerous girlfriends.current wife used to moan

but i explained futi man was here before here and will be here long after her if she carries on moaning.worked well

because when i dont play she worries that im ill!!!!!!im as addicted as much now as was back in 92.

I've played FM games for as long as they have been around starting with Football Manager (no relation to the current FM) in about 1984. In fact I bought a ZX Spectrum purely to play that game. Then it was Kevin Thoms Football Manager 2. Then Football Director, then Football Director 2 (D&H Games)... a couple of others like Premier Manager, Soccer Boss in between before the Championship Manager series started up.

Yes you're way too old. Get a life :)

37, 20 years (CM Italia) I played Tracksuit Manager, Soccer Boss, Football Director, Soccer 7 (a management game of an indoor tournament!), Multi Player Soccer Manager (which had the easiest cheat in the world in it) and probably loads of other rubbish on my speccy, then C64

Love it...some blasts from the past there. Tracksuit Manager was quality and the first half decent game at the time

Multi tasking whilst playing FM? OMG....I couldn't do that

I play it in windowed. I can do work, or catch up on TV shows even, just not at fullscreen. I am actually playing the game now :)

Does Football Manager on the Spectrum count?

If so then what, around 30+ years of playing?

You can be too old for many things but Football Manager is not 1 of them.

How about CM93 on Amiga 500 kickstart 1.2 without harddisk? :D. Starting a game took over 1 hour....

How about CM93 on Amiga 500 kickstart 1.2 without harddisk? :D. Starting a game took over 1 hour....

I could spend that 1 hour getting my Football Manager tape out of my tape deck after it had been chewed up, was a very delicate job, pull to hard and you would just sit at the end of the bed crying your eyes out, then try and try again to use sellotape to put the tape back together.

Good times!

I am working, watching TV, playing the game and on here..........all at the same time :o Dunno how.

But it's really pleasing to know that there is no age limit and we are big kids really.

Am I too old to be reading all the DC Comic arcs for Batman? No.

Am I too old to be playing puzzle games on my iphone? No.

Am I too old to get excited about tv shows like 'Game of Thrones', 'Mad Men' and constant repeats of 'The Sopranos'? No.

Am I too old to still be laughing at classic eps of The Simpsons and time travel epics from Family Guy? No.

Am I too old to eat Oreo biscuits? Hell no.

Am I too old to play Football Manager? NEVER.

FM is a glorious screensaver, the backdrop to my working week. My life blood.

The day I stop playing FM is the day they stop making it.

I'm 34 and have been playing since 1996...

Anyone else play drunken Champ Man, back in the day? Me and my best mate would have a few(lots) vodkas and play Champ Man, was always interesting to see the devastation to your save the next time you played...! Ridiculous transfers to your rivals or mate, players bought cause they had an amusing name, bidding wars between me and my mate that resulted in bankruptcy....

I often think about this but if you have a missus or friends, how much time do they waste watching pointless TV or reality shows, that's what they get enjoyment from where as we get it from FM. Continue playing mate, only stop when you don't enjoy it not when you hit a certain age ;)

I'm 34 and have been playing since 1996...

Anyone else play drunken Champ Man, back in the day? Me and my best mate would have a few(lots) vodkas and play Champ Man, was always interesting to see the devastation to your save the next time you played...! Ridiculous transfers to your rivals or mate, players bought cause they had an amusing name, bidding wars between me and my mate that resulted in bankruptcy....

That is a great question: I have played FM drunk on plenty occasions and woke up the next day and can't remember signing/selling players etc and my teams usually struggle after a few beers. It's good fun though

37 years old. football manager, on the bench, football manager 2, footballer of the year 1 & 2, some European super league game ,football director, some rock hard game id get sacked in a few games and tracksuit manager all on my spectrum 128k +2 then I got my amiga for cm and ive played every version since. If you enjoy you are never to old mate I have just got my old man an ipad at 75 and got the old ****er hooked on solitaire..

37 years old. football manager, on the bench, football manager 2, footballer of the year 1 & 2, some European super league game ,football director, some rock hard game id get sacked in a few games and tracksuit manager all on my spectrum 128k +2 then I got my amiga for cm and ive played every version since. If you enjoy you are never to old mate I have just got my old man an ipad at 75 and got the old ****er hooked on solitaire..

lol....pmsl

I am 29 years OLD. My 2nd year playing FM. Stumbled upon this by accident, and has turned into my favorite game by far. I have always been a simulation guy. Back when I played Playstation, PS1, PS3, PS3,etc. I always got the sport games but rarely actually played the real game, mostly stuck to franchise/owner/dynasty mode. But those games were always lacking in depth when came to managing and building a team. But I didn't know any different. I then wanted to find a simulation game that focused soley on the managing aspects. Was really looking for an NFL or NCAA football one, but saw FM13, gave it a try and fell in love. I don't see myself stopping any time soon.

I'm 54, been playing footy management games since Football Manager on the Speccy. I've got 4 grandkids and show no signs of growing up :)

Anybody remember "The Double" ? I think I had that on the speccy as well.

I reckon the double could be the super hard one I was thinking off, did it have real players names used for all teams?

just thought of another one you played with a board game from brian clough that was good.

I am 29 years OLD. My 2nd year playing FM. Stumbled upon this by accident, and has turned into my favorite game by far. I have always been a simulation guy. Back when I played Playstation, PS1, PS3, PS3,etc. I always got the sport games but rarely actually played the real game, mostly stuck to franchise/owner/dynasty mode. But those games were always lacking in depth when came to managing and building a team. But I didn't know any different. I then wanted to find a simulation game that focused soley on the managing aspects. Was really looking for an NFL or NCAA football one, but saw FM13, gave it a try and fell in love. I don't see myself stopping any time soon.

This-- except I'm 50, and have been playing for about 3 years. And my playing time has greatly increased since I moved from a family desktop to an "all-mine" laptop. My wife has seen nothing but the top of my head for 9 months now...I THINK she's still living here.

I'm 27, been playing FM since FM09 after switching from the FIFA Manager series that I had begun playing with FIFAM06 and got tired of around FIFAM09. I actually never really got into FM09 too much, but when the tactics creator and touchline shouts came out in later versions I found the game to be much more intuitive- I could never do much of anything with those damned sliders!

I peaked with FM10 and played a substantial amount of subsequent FMs, but my hours on the game have declined since then. The biggest reason is that, back when FM09-10 were out I was in college. In FM11-12 I had joined the Navy and was in job schools, and then started working on a ship around FM13. I still love the series and play quite a bit, but I don't quite have the same amount of free time that I used to. Plus, when I do play, things have gotten somewhat mechanical for me so I can't bring myself to spend an entire weekend doing little other than playing.

Honestly, you should stop playing FM when you stop enjoying it. Sure, I'm not quite as hooked as I once was, but I'm still enjoying myself!

I then wanted to find a simulation game that focused soley on the managing aspects. Was really looking for an NFL or NCAA football one, but saw FM13, gave it a try and fell in love.

It's a shame that American companies can't seem to do well making sports sims. The only good one is Out of the Park Baseball and it still pales in comparison to FM. Remember NFL Head Coach? :lol:

This-- except I'm 50, and have been playing for about 3 years. And my playing time has greatly increased since I moved from a family desktop to an "all-mine" laptop. My wife has seen nothing but the top of my head for 9 months now...I THINK she's still living here.

I also forgot to add that I was never a fan of Football before playing FM. I am an American boy. So, my sports are American Football, Baseball, etc. I watched World Cups and Euro Cups here and there, but never got into club football. But that has changed since starting FM. I absolutely love the game now. However, I do not have a favorite club. I love watching BPL but just waiting for a club to grow on me rather than just blindly picking one.

My Grandpa is a frist generation Spanish Basque American. So, a part of me likes Athletic Club. I will definitely do a save with them and stick to the tradition of signing just Basque players.

My Grandpa is a frist generation Spanish Basque American. So, a part of me likes Athletic Club. I will definitely do a save with them and stick to the tradition of signing just Basque players.

I love you.

In seriousness, though, the game won't even let you sign non-Basque players (with the exception of Spanish players who are 16 or younger). Do it, go Athletic. I always have tons of fun with them with each version of FM and tend to make them a dominant force for the Spanish national side.

I also forgot to add that I was never a fan of Football before playing FM. I am an American boy. So, my sports are American Football, Baseball, etc.

Similar: I grew up mostly on baseball with some hockey and football here and there. Started watching World Cup 2006 and got FIFAM06 and it really got me into the sport. When I got into FM, it took that to a whole new level. In fact, I believe that FM has greatly expanded my knowledge of the game and definitely makes me smarter about it than most Americans (even those who follow soccer).

Sorry for going off-topic, people. But anybody talking about Basqueness and Athletic Club makes me very, very giddy.

Archived