FM15 : Barnsley F.C - The Re-building Job!

lewis999

Welcome to the Barnsley FC thread for Football Manager 2015.

bfc1.jpg

Club History

Barnsley FC was established in 1887 by a clergyman, Tiverton Preedy, and played in the Sheffield and District League from 1890 and then in the Midland League from 1895. They joined the Football League in 1898 and struggled in Division Two for the first 10 years due in part to ongoing financial difficulties. In 1910 the club reached the FA Cup final, where they lost out to Newcastle in a replay match. However, they would then reach the 1912 Cup final where they would defeat West Brom 1–0 in a replay to win the trophy for the first and only time in their history.

Barnsley have spent more seasons in the second tier of English football than any other club in history and have produced some notable talents over the years who have gone on to be successful at other clubs. One example is Tommy Taylor, who was a prolific goalscorer for Barnsley in the early 1950s and went on to win two league titles with Manchester United (as well as scoring 16 times in 19 England internationals) before losing his life in the Munich air disaster. Taylor's move to Manchester United was for a then world-record fee of £29,999.

Barnsley had the distinction of playing in the last play-off final at Wembley before the stadium was closed for redevelopment, and in 2006 won in a play-off final at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, where they beat Swansea City 4–3 on penalties (2–2 after extra-time) to earn promotion to the Championship.

The team struggled in their first season back in the Championship. In November 2006, with Barnsley in the relegation zone, Ritchie was sacked in favour of Simon Davey. Davey managed to steer the team away from relegation in the second half of the season, and eventually finishing in 20th. The following season, a much-changed Barnsley side managed an historic FA Cup run, beating Premier League giants Liverpool 2–1 at Anfield and defending champions Chelsea 1–0 to reach the semi-finals for the first time since 1912, where they narrowly lost out 1–0 to fellow Championship side Cardiff City at Wembley.

Barnsley narrowly avoided relegation from the Championship that season, and after a disappointing start to the 2009–10 season Simon Davey was sacked in favour of former Rotherham United boss Mark Robins.

In May 2011, after a difficult 2010/11 season, Mark Robins resigned as manager due to a dispute over the budget for the following season. He was replaced by Rochdale manager Keith Hill and his assistant David Flitcroft. Barnsley ended the 2011–12 season as one of only two football clubs to turn a profit in the Football Championship, ironically they stayed up due to Portsmouth F.C. having a 10-point deduction for going into administration. The club's form failed to improve the following season, and Keith Hill was sacked as manager shortly before the turn of the year. David Flitcroft took over initially as caretaker manager, and after an improved run of results (combined with Sean O'Driscoll and Terry Butcher turning down the chance to manage the club) earned the job on a permanent basis.

On November 2013 David Flitcroft was sacked in an attempt to stop defeat after defeat. The club brought in the only manager that has ever managed to get us into the Premier League......DANNY WILSON! He wasn't everyone's first choice as the saying goes, "Never return to an old club". He couldn't halt the slide and we went down a few games before the end of the season.

Over the past decade Barnsley have experienced a number of highs and lows as a football club. At the end of the 1996/1997 season Barnsley reached the top tier for the first time in their history. However, they were relegated the following season despite their efforts.

The Clearout

At the end of the 2013/2014 season Danny Wilson decided to let go of nearly every single player apart from club captain Martin Cranie, Lewin Nyatanga, Dale Jennings and a few others. In total 20+ players left Barnsley and he set about bringing in talented, young hungry players from further down the football pyramid who would break their necks to forge their footballing careers.

In came Sam Winnall from Scunthorpe for an undisclosed fee. Last year he scored 23 goals in 45 games which is very promising. Another who came in from League Two was Plymouths captain Conor Hourihane who has started like a house on fire with 8 goals in 14 games from midfield with his blistering left foot. There were too many incomings to talk about them all but now i'll show you how the Tykes look inside Football Manager 2015.

Hi

Been playing with Barnsley in the Bata.

First year didn't go well really. Finished 10th and 11 points outside of the play offs.

At the end of the season they picked my best team and it was Turnbull/ Brown Cranie Nyatanga Dudgeon/ Bailey Berry Hourihane/ Mavrias Jennings/ Winnall. Froms from right to left in a 433/ 451 looking formation.

I was a bit surprised that Brown was my number one right back as I loaned in Mclaughlin from liverpool who are my Affiliate team.

Mavrias was my star transfer of the season even though he was a loan. Got me 12 goals and 16 Assists from right wing.

Winall did well upfront though and in all comp's he got me 20 goals and 9 assists from 40ish games.

Word of note for anyone playing, for some reason Barnsley have a big debt on them at the start of the season and you have to pay it off very quickly. Because of this I ended up losing 4/5 million in the first season and this was down to the loan been paid off. I always had 10k in the wage budget to spent.

Given the loss in season one your budgets likely to be slashed from about 3.9 million in season one to about 2.1 million.

Given this I had to release a lot of my players and am down to about 18/19 players for the first team. I released Lita because he wasn't playing and was too expensive and I terminated the contract of Treacy. saved 8/9K of the 25K drop I had straight away.

I'll try and put more up tomorrow about this season.

Glad to see you have completed a season mate, i've not started properly yet due to work, and life etc. Will be doing tonight though. Solid season, sometimes it's better to consolidate first and then go up so you're better equipped in the championship. Hope to hear more about your season.

I've been smashing it Lewis, any opportunity I get i'm playing.

So far so good for me in the season season.

Had a few injurys and it's made me pick a 11 and stick with it.

Smiths played a lot of left back and hes done okay with a average rating of just under 7 in 8/9 games. RNL let wing also doing well.

I've played a lot with a back 4, 1 dm, 2 cm, two wide men (right side winger, left side cutting in) striker

second season the players might have changed but it's very similar but both widemen are wingers.

on smith the star rating might not be great but hes had to play and hes playing well. Sometimes that how it goes with plenty of potential.

Bree, not used him yet.

Second team so far

To had to Lita and treacy going M'voto and foster (Got him in the first season but hardly played him. ) along with Hemmings (wouldn't accept a new contract ) went on frees.

I sold Turnbull to Fulham for 475K and Josh Wright to Burnley for 100K who I bought in season one and covered DM for 20K,

All the loans went back in season one and I brought in anumber of players but I'm still lacking 4/5 players to have a player in each position.

I bought in: Kevin Foley, Leon Clarke, Eoghan O'connell (Loan until Jan), Jak Alnwick (Loan), Jordan Rossiter (Loan from affiliate club), Zeli Ismail (Loan), Jamal Blackman (Loan until alnwicks back fit. )

Played 7 in the league, won 6 Lost 1

Got beat in capital One cup, round one.

Through to the second round on JPT.

Zeli Ismail scored 8 in 3 games for me. 3 goals 4 goals 1 goal.

Rossiter from liverpool looks a tidy player for me already.

Sounds like you're going well mate. Some good signings there. Treacy is winding me up a little bit. His stats suggest he's at least a championship player but he constantly under performs, at the minute RNL is first choice at LW as Jennings is injured.

This is my league table at the minute and my defence is rock solid it seems.

DA9710666592904CC27DEC306809CB4D0396C1D8

Hopefully it continues.

EDIT : Treacy ironically has just come to me asking for more playing time. Told him to prove himself in the next few matches so hopefully he'll perform now.

Treacy did prove me wrong and went on to score 5 goals in ten games from LW and a number of assists but now he's back to his old self so I checked his scout report and it says he's fairly inconsistent so in January i'm going to try and get as much as I can from him and look to loan in someone else.

That would of annoyed me. 3 games until the end of the season and i'm in the middle of a game now against Bristol City and am 4-0 up in the 36th minute. Jennings has the most goals and most assists in the whole league. He's unbelievable, like having Ronaldo of League One literally. He scores nearly every single game. He has two at the minute in this game.

In the second season I was promoted as champions.

I sold Cranie ( Sunderland 625K) in january to try and raise funds and made Alnwick a permanent transfer. With that It allowed me to bring in Ake on loan as I had a spare loan spot free in the match day squad.

Zeli Ismail scored the most league goals for me with 27, amazing for a right winger and sam Winall scored me 21 league goals.

Zeli Ismail was the best player with the best average of about 7.40.

I'll be getting rid of a lot of players for the championship but i'll be most likely Losing Dale Jennings because he won't signed a new contract.

Transfers_TransferHistory_zpsa632af66.png

Nice one done it.

I've had a reasonable start in the league as i'm mid table ish after about 7 games. Really looking to just stay in the championship this season.

At the end of the transfer window I asked for a up in wages and they gave me an extra 25K a week. I think it's to do with the finances becoming good after playing that loan off in the first 12/15 month. Also without asking they up't my transfter revenue up from 30% to 70%. For me that means it's now okay to sell players if I get a good offer.

• 2 weeks later...

Just gone against my better judgement and bought this game, when i told myself to wait and pick it up when it's cheaper.

Anyway, going to be starting a Barnsley save, as always. So, new territory for me really, league 1 for a change, a overhaul of new players.

So any tips? Players to sell? buy? Formations and tactics to use?

Started my new save, sent out numerous youngsters on loan.

Got rid of my backroom staff and replaced them. This includes scouts, and the new ones are scouting Scotland and the Conference league.

Bought Bobby Hassell back on a free transfer, basically for cover.

Requested a parent club.

In the middle of playing friendlies.

Got a tactic set up, 4132, whether it works or not is another matter.

Started my new save, sent out numerous youngsters on loan.

Got rid of my backroom staff and replaced them. This includes scouts, and the new ones are scouting Scotland and the Conference league.

Bought Bobby Hassell back on a free transfer, basically for cover.

Requested a parent club.

In the middle of playing friendlies.

Got a tactic set up, 4132, whether it works or not is another matter.

Where are you playing Jennings? He's fantastic this year. Was the joint top scorer in League One the first season from RW with close to 30 goals.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently in March sitting nicely in the play off's. Winnall my top scorer with 19 goals. Decided to let Dudgeon and Cole leave at the end of their loans. George Smith at LB is a rock, and i have just brought James Bree into the team due to injuries, and he is holding his own.

Luke Berry is quality in the AMC role. The only problem is i'm going to be left with a threadbare squad for next season as most players are out of contract and are wanting ridiculous wages for an extension.

Most of the team are rated from their previous clubs days like Berry, (Cambridge researcher) Winnall (Scunthorpe Researcher) etc. Nyatanga and Cranie are identical to last FM and Devante Cole is vastly under-rated but thats because he was an unknown to even the Man City reasearcher I would imagine. M'voto is a bit better which is good because he was awful last year and he's not as bad as people say he is. He's prone to a mistake but tell me which defender isn't.

Jennings has been given an upgrade which is fair. He's put on a bit too much muscle but he still shows he has trickery and invention when he plays. He also works harder than he did last season but then again not many last year did (I'm looking at you Jacob Mellis!). In February when we get the new data update hopefully a few players like Devante and Berry have been made a little better and a few worse as they haven't performed.

I've started my game (updated with the loans of Ramage, Trotta & Williams). I've not signed or sold anybody, but I'm currently sat 4th after 18 games. Has anybody attempted to sign Cole permanently? I'll be looking to try and keep him and Williams, especially.

My top tip is play Bree and Smith from the start. They develop really well and the big clubs start coming in for them.

I've been playing Smith when Dudgeon is injured/on international duty, and he is playing pretty well. I'll probably have to throw Bree in during the busy Xmas period.

Does anyone agree with my upgrade of Devante?

b785b9f1f84dbbe53228b501c1624c66.png

At another look he probably looks over-rated there. I have lowered his consistency a bit but I 'felt' his physicals were/are his best attributes as he is really quick and agile. Might lower him to be honest but I feel on his day he is in the top 4-5 strikers in the division along with Afobe (who I have also upgraded) and a few others. Let's be honest City wouldn't of kept him if he didn't have something.

Just finished my first season with Barnsley. After a mid season slump in form, I managed to pick up again and sneak back into the play-offs. I finished 4th but lost in the play-off semi, to Colchester. I signed Ramage and Dudgeon permanently, in January, for very nominal fees. The majority of the squad have agreed new deals (quite a lot on reduced terms too) with the exception of Hemmings, who wants to leave due to lack of football. Considering letting M'voto go to bring through Holgate. I think I'll be able to sign Devante Cole for around £200k, anybody else managed this?

Does anyone agree with my upgrade of Devante?

Personally, I agree with his technical ratings, besides his long shots. 99% of his long shots end up on Row Z, so I'd lower that. Also, his jumping and strength should be lowered (9) - he's often shrugged off the ball and wins very little in the air for a tall guy. I'd also probably lower his work-rate too. What Current Ability did that leave him at, by the way?

Just finished my first season with Barnsley. After a mid season slump in form, I managed to pick up again and sneak back into the play-offs. I finished 4th but lost in the play-off semi, to Colchester. I signed Ramage and Dudgeon permanently, in January, for very nominal fees. The majority of the squad have agreed new deals (quite a lot on reduced terms too) with the exception of Hemmings, who wants to leave due to lack of football. Considering letting M'voto go to bring through Holgate. I think I'll be able to sign Devante Cole for around £200k, anybody else managed this?

I didn't really use Devante when I played on the beta. I used Winnall a little bit and lita a little bit and neither did that well. I thought it was just Jennings that took was just outshining them all with 25 league goals from the wing but then I brought in Sam Gallagher from Southampton and he made the team even better.

Personally, I agree with his technical ratings, besides his long shots. 99% of his long shots end up on Row Z, so I'd lower that. Also, his jumping and strength should be lowered (9) - he's often shrugged off the ball and wins very little in the air for a tall guy. I'd also probably lower his work-rate too. What Current Ability did that leave him at, by the way?

I don't think I touched his long shots, not on purpose if I did, might of just been an upgrade of his CA that did it. I agree though, it should be lower, they both should. I put his CA at 105. I just thought at his current level I wasn't able to justify playing him.

As a random side note, Gael Bigirimana from Newcastle was a brilliant signing.

I didn't really use Devante when I played on the beta. I used Winnall a little bit and lita a little bit and neither did that well. I thought it was just Jennings that took was just outshining them all with 25 league goals from the wing but then I brought in Sam Gallagher from Southampton and he made the team even better.

I don't think I touched his long shots, not on purpose if I did, might of just been an upgrade of his CA that did it. I agree though, it should be lower, they both should. I put his CA at 105. I just thought at his current level I wasn't able to justify playing him.

Winnall was poor for me. Lita scored 27 goals in 35 league games, but his stats look to be deteriorating. I ended up signing Cole on a free transfer (and no compensation) along with Tobias Sana from Ajax. Trying to sign McLaughlin (from Fleetwood) for right-back and also needing a central midfielder and striker.

Winnall was poor for me. Lita scored 27 goals in 35 league games, but his stats look to be deteriorating. I ended up signing Cole on a free transfer (and no compensation) along with Tobias Sana from Ajax. Trying to sign McLaughlin (from Fleetwood) for right-back and also needing a central midfielder and striker.

That's a brilliant return from Lita. Was he playing as a lone striker or did he have a partner? Either way, it's very good. Sana is a good winger, not good enough for Ajax but Championship definitely. What are his wages like?

That's a brilliant return from Lita. Was he playing as a lone striker or did he have a partner? Either way, it's very good. Sana is a good winger, not good enough for Ajax but Championship definitely. What are his wages like?

He played upfront on his own, for the second half of the season, with Hourihane, Jennings and Cole behind him.

I've got Sana for £4k p/w. It puts him level with my other high earners (Jennings, Lita and Cranie). I managed to sign McLaughlin from Fleetwood, along with a few free transfers (Daniel Johnson, Andrew Halliday & Marcello Trotta) and David Davis on loan.

I've done it. I was in the top two for the majority of the season, along with Brentford. They slipped up on the last day of the season and I managed to beat Shrewsbury to win the league. Brentford still went up in second place, but they sacked Karl Robinson anyway.

Just thought i'd point something out as well Adam. The youngster in our U21's Pedro Carneiro came from Benfica after his dad sent him here when they came over and were impressed with our facilities.

Just to back it up.

fba5d5f80c92bc1753790d84340da8b1.png

His dad.

d1d9c94fabcb94ea2675ba0aff650711.png

So he will need his father as his favoured personnel and his history. I think it was a free transfer as he wasn't quite getting into the Benfica youth teams as they are obviously of great ability.

Just thought i'd point something out as well Adam. The youngster in our U21's Pedro Carneiro came from Benfica after his dad sent him here when they came over and were impressed with our facilities.

I knew it was his dad that brought him over, and that he had some involvement in football but I didn't think to look for him in FM. I'll add it onto the next update. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi, Pedro's a first year scholar, attacking midfielder and 16.

Barnsley have a youth link with Benfica after they scouted England and were impressed with Barnsley.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking forward to a new save with Barnsley once the updates happen although I don't think much will chance. Hopefully Holgate and Brees PA have gone up to match.

Both seen as future premier league players with the owner saying last week Bree was potentially better than John Stones (Another player that needs a considerable upgrade in the update btw.)

Always struggle with Barnsley because been a fan of them I have a lot of opinions that might not help in the game.

I've started a barnsley save but i'm going to try and take it a little more slower than normal.

I'm someone that tries to get two players for all positions. Okay some maybe not good enough in the second 11 like say george Smith say but I like to do that. I'm close to completing that although i'm already past the first game which I won 2-1 against Crawley. Just need a left winger and a right back.

Archived