Canvey Island - the Rise of the Yellow Army

dafuge

8cNvD92.png

History of the Club

Football has been played on the Island since Victorian times, with several precursors to the current team folding. Canvey Island F.C. were formed in 1926 but had not achieved major success prior to the early 1990s. The early records of the club were destroyed in a major flood during 1953, their loss referenced in the song "Canvey Island" on the album Do You Like Rock Music? by the group British Sea Power. The club had floated around the regional amateur leagues in Essex for that time. Former player Jeff King became both manager and owner of the then Essex Senior League side in 1992 and has led the club through four promotions in the football pyramid, reaching the Conference after a 2003–04 season that saw them win the Isthmian League by 19 points – winning the title with seven games to spare.

At the end of the 2005–06 season, however, owner-manager Jeff King announced that he was no longer willing to fund the club any longer and left to join Isthmian League Premier Division side Chelmsford City. This left the club in financial difficulties, and as a result of which Canvey voluntarily resigned from the Football Conference, dropping three divisions to join the Isthmian League First Division North in 2006–07. Long-serving reserves and youth team manager, John Batch, assisted by former player Garry Britnell, took over team management at the club following King's departure and began to re-build the club following the departure of the entire first team-squad.

Canvey's most significant cup success came in 2001 when they defeated Forest Green Rovers 1–0 after a 14th minute goal by captain Ben Chenery in the final of the FA Trophy, the leading cup competition in England for clubs outside of the four top leagues- at Aston Villa's Villa Park stadium in front of a crowd of 10,007.

Canvey Island gained further recognition through FA Cup runs, notably in 2001–02 when they knocked out Northampton Town and Wigan Athletic en route to the third round proper of the competition. This gained much publicity for the club and featured on such programmes as the BBC's Match of the Day, and Sky Sports.

Club Profile - based in the south with a nice yellow kit, two things I look for when choosing a club.

General Info - a rivalry with Southend is something to look forward to.

Manager Profile - I'm going to try to bring back my 4-4-2 wide diamond, I've also chosen to be a tactical manager.

Facilities - a reasonable sized stadium, but not a lot else.

Squad - we seem to have a few handy players, but I'll be looking to reshape this squad as soon as possible.

Finances - I'm bound to ruin this soon.

Game Setup

I've loaded just the English leagues, with extra players from all continents to bring the player count up to around 57000.

My Aims

I'm playing as part of my challenge, so my first aim is to bring success to Canvey. Other than that, I'm just looking forward to enjoying it and seeing what happens.

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck, looking forward to another great career and thread! :thup:

What was your exact setup to get the player count to 57,000? Usually I go with "players from top clubs" in each continent but I'm not convinced the resulting player pool is diverse enough. :)

Good luck, looking forward to another great career and thread! :thup:

What was your exact setup to get the player count to 57,000? Usually I go with "players from top clubs" in each continent but I'm not convinced the resulting player pool is diverse enough. :)

I can't remember exactly, but I think it was something like current internationals, top clubs, continental reputation and playing in continental competitions. I ticked pretty much everything that I thought would add the top players from the smaller nations.

Canvey Island - Vanarama Conference South - 2015/16

In my first season at the club, my aim was to put a squad together that was capable of avoiding relegation.

League Table - I'm happy with that. We did make it into the playoff spots, but injuries and loss of form dropped us back down to midtable.

FA Trophy - our defeat came at the hands of higher league opposition, turns out we will play them next season.

FA Cup - we were thrashed by another Conference Premier side.

Transfers - a lot of free transfers.

Squad - plenty of room for improvement, especially in the attacking department.

Finances - I went over my wage budget a bit, but this loss was huge.

Key Player Profiles:

Jason Williams - top scorer, just.

Ben May - he was on fire until a major injury.

Ross Ibertson - had a decent season.

Joe Carter - probably our best player.

Daniel Day - our second best player, just a shame he's also a left back.

Career Overview

Season    League                     Position    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015/16   Vanarama Conference South  9th       

Next Season

A top half finish was superb, so our aim for next season is to make it into the playoffs.

Canvey Island - Vanarama Conference South - 2016/17

In my first season we finished in a respectable 9th place, this season we were hoping to get closer to the playoffs.

League Table - I didn't see this coming!

FA Trophy - a great run ended with a battering at Luton in the semi final.

FA Cup - H&W were top of the league at the time, so this was a tough draw.

Transfers - some great free transfers.

Squad - the squad is always improving, hopefully I'll be able to add to it for next season.

Finances - despite the loan, we are in debt again.

Key Player Profiles:

Wayne Pett - the youth product led the line for most of the season, top scoring.

Marlon Agyakwa - an amazing contribution from the winger.

Alexandru Petresc - brilliant for this level.

Christian Doidge - signed near the end of the season, one to watch for next season.

Glen Kamara - another late signing who should make an impact next season.

Career Overview

Season    League                     Position    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015/16   Vanarama Conference South  9th       
2016/17   Vanarama Conference South  1st         Promoted as champions     

Next Season

Promotion leads us into the unknown, so I'd be happy just to avoid relegation.

Here we go again. Only a matter of time. I love reading your careers daf, and often turn to them for inspiration when i hit a game 'low'.

How is the diamond working out?

Looks good so far, we've been playing some really nice football at times. I just hope we can continue playing like that in the higher division.

Canvey Island - Vanarama Conference Premier - 2017/18

Last season we stormed to the Conference South title, could we do it again?

League Table - I was glad to see the season end, we were fading badly and were looking likely to get relegated. If the season was a few games longer, we'd have gone down.

FA Trophy - we made it to a cup final, but lost out to league leaders Notts County.

FA Cup - it was nice to make the first round, but we came close to going one further.

Transfers - just a few signings as we were restricted by the finances.

Squad - we have a handful of good players, but the squad is far too thin to compete.

Finances - the cup final helped, but we are still losing money badly.

Key Player Profiles:

Aiden O'Brien - a decent goal tally for a struggling side.

Christian Doidge - the supporting striker also scored quite a lot.

Alexandru Petresc - interestingly, he's retired from football above this league.

Josh Ruffels - a brilliant new signing.

Glen Stykes - another impressive new signing.

Career Overview

Season    League                       Position    Achievements
2015/16   Vanarama Conference South    9th       
2016/17   Vanarama Conference South    1st         Promoted as champions
2017/18   Vanarama Conference Premier  20th        FA Trophy finalists

Next Season

Avoiding relegation has to be the target again for next season, a few new signings should help with that.

Please take this the right way when I say it's quite pleasing to see you struggling a little! I'm sure you'll have an excellent fourth season though.

Last time I managed in England (FM13) I got stuck in the Conference Premier for quite a while, I can easily see that happening again!

Canvey Island - Vanarama Conference Premier - 2018/19

Last season we just about survived, this season was going to be another struggle.

League Table - after a shaky start, we improved to finish in a comfortable mid table position.

FA Trophy - like last season, we made it to Wembley but came up short again in the final.

FA Cup - once again we were beaten in the first round by League 2 opposition.

Transfers - the Brady transfer changed our season, financing loads of new signings.

Squad - the squad is constantly improving.

Finances - the Brady transfer and the cup final hide our financial worries.

Key Player Profiles:

Fejiri Okenabirhie - the new striker was our top scorer.

Alex Henshall - a great contribution from the winger.

Chris Long - will probably be our main striker next season.

Miro Muheim - a brilliant midfielder.

Jordan Brown - was our main striker for a while.

Career Overview

Season    League                       Position    Achievements
2015/16   Vanarama Conference South    9th       
2016/17   Vanarama Conference South    1st         Promoted as champions
2017/18   Vanarama Conference Premier  20th        FA Trophy finalists
2018/19   Vanarama Conference Premier  13th        FA Trophy finalists

Next Season

With the squad we currently have, we might have a chance of making it into the playoffs.

Archived