Nickname: The Red Devils

Year Founded: 1878

President: Ed Woodward

Current Manager: Louis van Gaal

Club Captain: Wayne Rooney

Vice Captain: Darren Fletcher

League: English Premier League

Media Prediction: 3rd

Fierce Rivals: Liverpool (Local), Manchester City (Local), Leeds United (Historic)

Other Rivals: Arsenal (Competitive), Bolton (Local), Chelsea (Competitive)

Legends: Bobby Charlton, Sir Alex Ferguson, Eric Cantona, Bryan Robson, Ryan Giggs, Duncan Edwards, Dennis Law, George Best, Matt Busby

Icons: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Roy Keane, Paul Scholes, Steve Bruce, Gary Neville, Ruud Van Nistelrooij, Peter Schmeichel, David Beckham

Favoured Personnel: Cristiano Ronaldo, Brian McClair, Nicky Butt, Phil Neville

Old Trafford

v88vmzE.jpg

Corporate Facilities: Top

Training Facilities: State of the art training facilities

Youth Facilities: Top

Club Finances

Estimated Value: £1.2B (loan debt: £440M)

Balance: £124.4M

Finances: Rich

Transfer Budget: £60M

% of transfer revenue made available: 100%

History

WfSzzBd.jpg

Manchester United was formed in 1878 as Newton Heath LYR Football Club by the Carriage and Wagon department of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway (LYR) depot at Newton Heath. The team initially played games against other departments and rail companies, but on 20 November 1880, they competed in their first recorded match; wearing the colours ofthe railway company – green and gold – they were defeated 6–0 by Bolton Wanderers' reserve team. By 1888, the club had become a founding member of The Combination,a regional football league. Following the league's dissolution after only one season, Newton Heath joined the newly formed Football Alliance, which ran for three seasons before being merged with the Football League. This resulted in the club starting the 1892–93 season in the First Division, by which time it had become independent of the rail company and dropped the "LYR" from its name. After two seasons, the club was relegated to the Second Division.

In January 1902, with debts of £2,670 – equivalent to £250,000 as of 2013 – the club was served with a winding-up order. Captain Harry Stafford found four local businessmen, including John Henry Davies (who became club president), each willing to invest £500 in return for a direct interest in running the club and who subsequently changed the name; on 24 April 1902, Manchester United was officially born. Under Ernest Mangnall, who assumed managerial duties in 1903, the team finished as Second Division runners-up in 1906 and secured promotion to the First Division, which they won in 1908 – the club's first league title. The following season began with victory in the first ever Charity Shield and ended with the club's first FA Cup title. Manchester United won the First Division for the second time in 1911, but at the end of the following season, Mangnall left the club to join Manchester City. In 1922, three years after the resumption of football following the First World War, the club was relegated to the Second Division, where it remained until regaining promotion in1925. Relegated again in 1931, Manchester United became a yo-yo club, achieving its all-time lowest position of 20th place in the Second Division in 1934. Following the death of the club's principal benefactor, J. H. Davies, in October 1927, the club's finances deteriorated to the extent that Manchester United would likely have gone bankrupt had it not been for James W. Gibson, who, in December 1931, invested £2,000 and assumed control of the club. In the 1938–39 season, the last year of football before the Second World War, the club finished 14th in the First Division.

I12HDIJ.jpg

Busby years (1945–1969)

In October 1945, the impending resumption of football led to the managerial appointment of Matt Busby, who demanded an unprecedented level of control over team selection, player transfers and training sessions. Busby led the team to second-place league finishes in 1947, 1948 and 1949, and to FA Cup victory in 1948. In 1952, the club won the First Division, its first league title for 41 years. With an average age of 22, the media labelled the back-to-back title winning side of 1956 "the Busby Babes", a testament to Busby's faith in his youth players. In 1957, Manchester United became the first English team to compete in the European Cup, despite objections from The Football League, who had denied Chelsea the same opportunity the previous season. En route to the semi-final, which they lost to Real Madrid, the team recorded a 10–0 victory over Belgian champions Anderlecht, which remains the club's biggest victory on record.

The following season, on the way home from a European Cup quarter-final victory against Red Star Belgrade, the aircraft carrying the Manchester United players, officials and journalists crashed while attempting to take off after refuelling in Munich, Germany. The Munich air disaster of 6 February 1958 claimed 23 lives, including those of eight players – Geoff Bent, Roger Byrne, Eddie Colman, Duncan Edwards, Mark Jones, David Pegg, Tommy Taylor and Billy Whelan – and injured several more. Reserve team manager Jimmy Murphy took over as manager while Busby recovered from his injuries and the club's makeshift side reached the FA Cup final, which they lost to Bolton Wanderers. In recognition of the team's tragedy, UEFA invited the club to compete in the 1958–59 European Cup alongside eventual League champions Wolverhampton Wanderers. Despite approval from the FA, the Football League determined that the club should not enter the competition, since it had not qualified. Busby rebuilt the team through the 1960s by signing players such as Denis Law and Pat Crerand, who combined with the next generation of youth players – including George Best – to win the FA Cup in 1963. The following season, they finished second in the league, then won the title in 1965 and 1967. In 1968, Manchester United became the first English (and second British) club to win the European Cup, beating Benfica 4–1 in the final with a team that contained three European Footballers of the Year: Bobby Charlton, Denis Law and George Best. Matt Busby resigned as manager in 1969 and was replaced by

the reserve team coach, former Manchester United player Wilf McGuinness.

K6aESHg.jpg

Ferguson years (1986–2013)

Alex Ferguson and his assistant Archie Knox arrived from Aberdeen on the day of Atkinson's dismissal, and guided the club to an 11th-place finish in the league. Despite a second place finish in 1987–88, the club was back in 11th place the following season. Reportedly on the verge of being dismissed, victory over Crystal Palace in the 1990 FA Cup Final replay (after a 3–3 draw) saved Ferguson's career. The following season, Manchester United claimed its first Cup Winners' Cup title and competed in the 1991 UEFA Super Cup, beating European Cup holders Red Star Belgrade 1–0 in the final at Old Trafford. A second consecutive League Cup final appearance followed in 1992, in which the team beat Nottingham Forest 1–0 at Wembley. In 1993, the club won its first league title since 1967, and a year later, for the first time since 1957, it won a second consecutive title – alongside the FA Cup – to complete the first "Double" in the club's history.

In the 1998–99 season, Manchester United became the first team to win the Premier League, FA Cup and UEFA Champions League – "The Treble" – in the same season. Losing 1–0 going into injury time in the 1999 UEFA Champions League Final, Teddy Sheringham and Ole Gunnar Solskjær scored late goals to claim a dramatic victory over Bayern Munich, in what is considered one of the greatest comebacks of all time. The club also won the Intercontinental Cup after beating Palmeiras 1–0 in Tokyo. Ferguson was subsequently knighted for his services to football. Manchester United won the league again in the 1999–2000 and 2000–01 seasons. The team finished third in 2001–02, before regaining the title in 2002–03. They won the 2003–04 FA Cup, beating Millwall 3–0 in the final at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff. In the 2005–06 season, Manchester United failed to qualify for the knockout phase of the UEFA Champions League for the first time in over a decade, but recovered to secure a second-place league finish and victory over Wigan Athletic in the 2006 Football League Cup Final. The club regained the Premier League in the 2006–07 and 2007–08 seasons, and completed the European double by beating Chelsea 6–5 on penalties in the 2008 UEFA Champions League Final in Moscow's Luzhniki Stadium. Ryan Giggs made a record 759th appearance for the club in this game, overtaking previous record holder Bobby Charlton.In December 2008, the club won the 2008 FIFA Club World Cup and followed this with the 2008–09 Football League Cup, and its third successive Premier League title. That summer, Cristiano Ronaldo was sold to Real Madrid for a world record £80 million. In 2010, Manchester United defeated Aston Villa 2–1 at Wembley to retain the League Cup, its first successful defence of a knockout cup competition. After finishing as runner-up to Chelsea in the 2009–10 season, United achieved a record 19th league title in 2010–11, securing the championship with a 1–1 away draw against Blackburn Rovers on 14 May 2011. After finishing as runner-up to Manchester City in the 2011–12 season, United achieved a record 20th league title in 2012–13, securing the championship with a 3–0 home win against Aston Villa on 22 April 2013.

MPWgMFo.jpg

2013–present

On 8 May 2013, Ferguson announced that he was to retire as manager at the end of the football season, but would remain at the club as a director and club ambassador. The club announced the next day that Everton manager David Moyes would replace him from 1 July, having signed a six-year contract. Ryan Giggs took over as interim player-manager 10 months later on 22 April 2014, when Moyes was sacked after a poor season in which the club failed to defend their Premier League title and failed to qualify for the UEFA Champions League for the first time since 1995–96. They also failed to qualify for the Europa League, meaning that it was the first time Manchester United hadn't qualified for a European competition since 1990. On 19 May 2014, it was confirmed that Louis van Gaal would replace Moyes as Manchester United manager on a three-year deal, with Giggs as his assistant. Malcolm Glazer, the patriarch of the Glazer family that owns the club, died on 28 May 2014.

Honors

SalrC34.jpg?1

Players

Goalkeepers: De Gea / Lindergaard

Defenders: Evans / Jones / Rafael / Rojo / Shaw / Smalling

Midfielders: Anderson / Blind / Carrick / Di Maria / Fellaini / Fletcher / Herrera / Januzaj / Lingard / Mata / Valencia / Young

Strikers: Falcao / Rooney / van Persie

Youngsters: McNair / Blackett / Keane / Zaha / Pereira / Powell / Henriquez / Fosu-Mensah / Milinkovic Savic / Wilson

Formations

GKuVOHK.jpg?15hGOv5O.jpg?1rMEoNcP.jpg?1

Having done really well in pre-season, Louis van Gaal started the season with 5-2-1-2 but players seemed nervy and scared at times in this unfamiliar shape. With the signings of Di Maria and Falcao, the Dutch tactician switched to a 4-4-2 diamond and had seen an improvement in results. With tough games against Chelsea and Man City coming up, he withdrew a striker and turned to a 4-2-3-1 against West Brom for more protection.

What do we need?

RMaQ1Bul.jpg

It's no big secret that we lack power, strength and leadership in the team. On a positive note, we have terrific technicians in the squad who are team players as well. With no European football, there's no need for a huge squad in the first season. I would use the transfer budget on a leader in central defense and a hardworking, mobile midfield destroyer.

Can you sign them?

Brc8xNh.jpg

Mats Hummels

vomyci2.jpg

Kevin Strootman

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice start David, I'm interested in knowing if anyone does sign them two players and what options they selected to make them become interested in joining, also looking forward to see who everyone else found to join them at the club, happy football managing folks :)

Nice start David, I'm interested in knowing if anyone does sign them two players and what options they selected to make them become interested in joining, also looking forward to see who everyone else found to join them at the club, happy football managing folks :)

Thanks mate! I have not played as Man United yet on FM15, so I am not even sure if it's possible to sign those two. Hummels and Strootman are the perfect signings for us in real life in my opinion :)

Not quite sure what you're looking at - he looks really good to me.

I believe that his stats have been assessed by the Real Madrid researcher?

I think he looks great too. Perhaps vozzon is expecting his stats to be closer to Ronaldo's and Messi's? I think they are just about right at the moment though, unless his level of performances improve further in England :D

Great start fella :)

Could I make one suggestion though, could you please add a comma or semi-colon between the player ss's. I was looking for ages for certain names before realising how you had posted :D.

Started my save with United bit im still experimenting with prices and who can i buy. Funny thing at start, i sold Young to Tottenham for 20M and as well Anderson for 7M and for that money i bought Marco Reus, total bargin if u ask me! Éder Álvarez Balanta seems like a good choice for CB for 6M, as well as Gino Peruzzi for 4.3M as RB cover. I tried to sign Hummels and Varane but they both rejected my offers over 40M ( Dortmund accepted but Hummels wasnt interested in joining ). Nicolas N'Koulou can be good option for CB for about 9M as well as Jan Vertonghen but Tottenham ask 29M for him. Gabriel Barbosa seems like a good future investment for about 6M + agent fee 6M (agent owns 40% of his contract)=12M. Seydou Doumbia is available for 10M and i think this is really good deal. I wanted to get rid of van Persi and Valencia but nobody wants to buy them :|. If anybody have any good thoughts about who should buy please share it.

Blackett and Wilson look like they could be really good in the future. Also Rojo is quite overrated, Jones also. I don't understand how Jones is such a beast in FM14 and now in FM15..his stats should be closer to Smalling's to be fair..

Jones has been really unlucky with injuries and when he's 100%, he looked really good. He can't be too rubbish when Sir Alex said he can go on to be one of our best players not so long ago ;)

Nice one Becks. Love the thread title too! :D Could you post the SS' of other players or at least of the hot prospects and decent young players?

Thank you legend! I have posted SS of 10 youngsters in the opening post. Feel free to request for more! :D

Great start fella :)

Could I make one suggestion though, could you please add a comma or semi-colon between the player ss's. I was looking for ages for certain names before realising how you had posted :D.

Thanks mate :) I have added them in accordingly and I agree that it looks much neater now \o/

Jones has been really unlucky with injuries and when he's 100%, he looked really good. He can't be too rubbish when Sir Alex said he can go on to be one of our best players not so long ago ;)

Thank you legend! I have posted SS of 10 youngsters in the opening post. Feel free to request for more! :D

Thanks mate :) I have added them in accordingly and I agree that it looks much neater now \o/

Cheers! :thup:

Januzaj's natural fitness is way too low

It's probably random.

I suspect that nobody will have the answer to this question yet but have United been given that 60m transfer budget to ensure that they buy Falcao? If I spend that 60m on other players will I have enough budget at the start of season 2 to sign Falcao outright for the 46.5m release clause in his loan deal? I guess only time will tell.

Great start to the thread.. look forward to hearing a bit more about the youth players etc if that's coming!

This might be one of the first times I've ever started a full career with united given the rebuilding that needs doing.. nice.

I have added ten youngsters in the opening post so do check it out! And feel free to request for more if you want to see the other players :)

Januzaj's natural fitness is way too low

I do agree that a 5 is way too low but hopefully it's random!

I have added ten youngsters in the opening post so do check it out! And feel free to request for more if you want to see the other players :)

I do agree that a 5 is way too low but hopefully it's random!

Januzaj's natural fitness is 12 in my save so definitely random.

Started my save with United bit im still experimenting with prices and who can i buy. Funny thing at start, i sold Young to Tottenham for 20M and as well Anderson for 7M and for that money i bought Marco Reus, total bargin if u ask me! Éder Álvarez Balanta seems like a good choice for CB for 6M, as well as Gino Peruzzi for 4.3M as RB cover. I tried to sign Hummels and Varane but they both rejected my offers over 40M ( Dortmund accepted but Hummels wasnt interested in joining ). Nicolas N'Koulou can be good option for CB for about 9M as well as Jan Vertonghen but Tottenham ask 29M for him. Gabriel Barbosa seems like a good future investment for about 6M + agent fee 6M (agent owns 40% of his contract)=12M. Seydou Doumbia is available for 10M and i think this is really good deal. I wanted to get rid of van Persi and Valencia but nobody wants to buy them :|. If anybody have any good thoughts about who should buy please share it.

How the heck did you sign reus, any "top" player that we have been linked with in the past has absolutely no interest in joining our team. Ore season I've had massive issues keeping everyone content cause they can't wait a year to take part in the champions league. It's a little messed up and doesn't necessarily reflect real life.

I didn't sell nobody, and added James McCarthy to midfield,22mil..good price and considering I won't renew Carrick,Fletcher and Anderson's contract I needed somebody who I count on long term. Also Di Maria tore his muscle..out for 4 month in the first game of the season :( .. Anderson is covering really good for him though..so maybe he will earn a new contract, we will see..I moved Blind to DC posititon because I wanted one ball playing defender and he fits for the role..Valencia is a great CWB,and will be a good sub for Rafael..my transfer targets for the future are Ward Prowse, Kovacic and Liam Moore..(Moore,I'll see how he develops going forward and decide)..Also I have no plans to fork out 49mil for Falcao.

Brought Dede in to help with injuries at CB.

Blind broke his leg in my first game against Liverpool. Massive loss, but thankfully we won the game 2-1.

I will be looking to strengthen the centre of midfield. Any recommendations? I don't want to spend over the top on someone though.

managed to pick up gundogan in January for 16 mil, but at the start of the game your best bet is probably schiederlin or McCarthy, as most top players aren't interested in joining due to lack of CL

Not a fan of McCarthy (although I haven't look at his stats this year).

Schiederlin looks great. 18 Tackling too which would be ideal for DM.

How the heck did you sign reus, any "top" player that we have been linked with in the past has absolutely no interest in joining our team. Ore season I've had massive issues keeping everyone content cause they can't wait a year to take part in the champions league. It's a little messed up and doesn't necessarily reflect real life.

I'm having this problem. De Gea unsettled the likes of Rooney, Di Maria, Phil Jones and Rafael because he wanted Champs league. I said he couldn't move and that we would have champs league next year. He didn't care what I had to say.

Phil Jones demanded a move to Arsenal, but has since backed down. Real problem with morale atm.

I'm having this problem. De Gea unsettled the likes of Rooney, Di Maria, Phil Jones and Rafael because he wanted Champs league. I said he couldn't move and that we would have champs league next year. He didn't care what I had to say.

Phil Jones demanded a move to Arsenal, but has since backed down. Real problem with morale atm.

Yeah, had this as well. In mine DDG wanted to go to PSG, I told him if he stayed we would have CL football next year, but he said he couldn't wait that long. Upset about 10 players after I told them in a meeting that I didn't want him to leave.

How is everyone doing so far?

I am nearly at the end of August, haven't really signed anyone of note. I have bought in Peruzzi from Catania for £3.2m & Moi Gomez from Villarreal for £7.75m. I have had a bid accepted and have offered terms to Neven Subotic of Dortmund. Tried for Hummels, Chiellini, Koke & Vidal. Hummels wasn't interested. Couldn't get anywhere near the fee Juventus wanted for Vidal or Chiellini. I agreed a £40m fee for Koke, but he wanted £275k per week (plus £12m signing fee etc), which I couldn't afford.

Tried offloading the usual's - Ashley Young, Valencia (no takers).

I somehow managed to sell young to spurs for 12 mil, benfica took Valencia for 16, Anderson to swansea for 3, fellaini back to everton for 8 lol,

I found bringing players in the hardest part, only managed stones and schiederlin in the summer, then got gundogan and candreva in january

I have been using Fellaini as a CM (D) alongside Herrera, he has played quite well. Wins a lot of headers and tackles in central midfield. I won't offload him until I can get someone in to replace him.

I am a little like real life at the moment, beat Spurs 4-1 then lose 3-2 to Leicester. Can't keep a clean sheet for love or money.

I somehow managed to sell young to spurs for 12 mil, benfica took Valencia for 16, Anderson to swansea for 3, fellaini back to everton for 8 lol,

I found bringing players in the hardest part, only managed stones and schiederlin in the summer, then got gundogan and candreva in january

How much did you get Gundogan for?

Splashed the cash on Koke for 40m...Had to give him silly money of £200k per week and enormous signing on fees and appearance fees, but not too fussed as will only start over when the full game is released.

He was already on 190k when I spoke to him, thought there was no chance of getting him to move.

To the poster who said he bought Reus, that was inspired he has a 21 million release clause, yes just £21 million pounds, offered him 200k a week got him down to 170k a week but with bonuses its more like 200k and his sign on fee was painful but worth it especially as the actual transfer was so cheap.

Bought Alcacer for 15.25 (release clause), William Carvalho for a 10.5 plus 9.5 (agent's cut), Nkoulou chose Chelsea over me. Samper and Munir I paid release clause based on their agent's offering me to them and then they used me to get better deals at Barcelona. Manage to pick up old favorite Ummitti for 4.5. Sold Young for 6 and Fellaini for 4. All in all, paid too much and got too little in return. Playing a diamond very similar to what United play now.

I'm losing a player a game to injury. Rooney Falcao Di Maria RvP Rafael Jones Valencia Blind Evans Shaw have all been injured on and off. Pissed off brought in Massimo Neri as fitness coach and fired lower rated physios but no response. I have Tassotti as AM and he's setting tough individual routines for training so will take over that.

Rafael and DDG asked for moves away. DDG to PSG happened immediately but I told him cautiously that he can play here and he stayed. Rafael asked for a move for Schalke - called Gelsenkirchen in the game. I got livid but luckily there was no bid and he stayed on. No one wants Ando though.

I'm having issues getting players to obey instructions, di maria tries to play through the middle using his non existent right foot. Adnan thinks he's Xabi and shoots from the halfway line. fullbacks and AM refuse to square balls to strikers and take acute angle shots. All my IFK goals are ruled offside. van Persie is not assisting in build up play, Falcao has scored 3 times in 3 games only to be ruled offside each time. Only Rooney and Rojo have been working for me.

Guys who sold Fellaini and Young for good money, do you put him on Unwanted List, offer him to clubs, TL him or simply wait for offers to come?

-In a parallel universe-

I had David De Gea want away to PSG. I told him we were competing for champions league football anyway. "It'll never happen, you must be joking boss, we'll be lucky enough to get out of the relegation zone let alone compete for the champions league."

"But David mate, when we had that team meeting and I suggested the target was Continental qualification all youse lot told me to aim for the title instead. And you all agree the title is a realistic prospect if we play well, so it stands to reason we'll get into Europe."

"Rubbish! I don't remember that happening, I was listening to some latin pop on my Beats by Dr Dre. I have no recollection of this ridiculous conversation, I bet it was Rooney who suggested that! He'd reckon Everton could win the league. Whatever, United are destined to tumble down to League 2 by next year, I want out!"

"But David, that's impossible..."

"Oh shut it and give me what I want!"

"Fine..."

The following day, I had the media ask me about PSG bidding for David De Gea. I said;

Assertively; "He's not going any-****ing-where, Blanc should jog on!"

Phone call from Mr DDG: "Why did you say that in the press?"

"Hey smart ass, I said I would let you go if they bid, I didn't say I would encourage them to bid, now get back in goal you miserable tart."

And that was my first week on my opening test save.

---

I'm using the diamond to accommodate Blind and Mata. Di Maria seems like he would suit the Roaming Playmaker role.

The problem I'm having with the squad at the moment is threefold;

1) Ryan Giggs is 'random' so his stats can be dire.

2) The coaching staff is a bunch of amateurs, just who assigned them their attributes? There is no way Van Gaal's staff are worse than the lumps of crap Moyes hired.

3) SO MANY YOUTH. A lot of them skirt around the 2.5/3 star potential, so I'm keeping them rather than offloading them as I usually do.

Here's a rough guide from what I've found about the star ratings so far;

5 = World Class

4-4.5 = "Star player"

3 = Leading player for the division

2.5 = Good player

2 = Decent

They're qualified by position though. 2.5 is good for defenders but awful for midfielders who seem to be judged a lot more harshly.

As ever, attributes and personality > star rating, but it's useful as a rough guide to potential for now.

Most of my United youth are at the 2.5-3 rating, so attribute wise they could very well be good, solid players. So annoying. I do need a clear out though, I prefer to have my 2 by 2 system in place.

Damn. I figured as much.

It seems, generally, that ridding out with the current squad and hope for the lure of CL football in the second season is the way to go or else your kinda stuck targeting 'Fellani level' players like McCarthey and Schniederlin?

Sergi Samper looks great but isn't that battler I think we're calling out for.

It's interesting to see how some of you guys are struggling to sign players on this version. To be honest, Man United is facing the same problem in real life and I am sure that if a quality center back/ball winner is available on the market, LVG will snap them up!

BTW there are already some great posts here KUTGW lads :thup:

I have decided to start my long term save game few days after the full release (in case an update or updates are released few days after the full release). By that time I'm using the opportunity to get to know the game, to plan how I'll do everything, how I'll set up everything...

I won't sell anyone or sack any of staff members. I'll just bring staff members to fill the numbers and I'll buy two players. A rotation or back-up for Shaw on DL and first choice AMR as Valencia will be rotation or back-up on AMR.

DL needs to be left footed, who dives into tackles, runs down the left flank, puts crosses in, gets forward whenever possible. He also needs to be at least 18 years old. Wouldn't hurt if he could throw bullit throw-ins.

AMR needs to be right footed, who runs down the right flank, puts crosses in, who gets forward whenever possible. ALso at least 18 years of age.

Suggestions?

Archived