how long to develope youth?

Some players develop quicker than others. If their CA is further apart than their PA it takes longer. The closer the CA to the PA the quicker they develop. You can see the progress by going to their player profile and ticking the option to view their progress - you also get feedback from staff on player development. Speed up the development by 1) Loaning them out and 2) Playing them in first team.

I always play good youth players in games I think I can win easily, or bring them on for 30 minutes if I'm winning 3-0. Then I will try loan the player out to a club who sees them as a valuable player for the first team, to guarantee game time.

I will look to offload players who are older and the same position, say a 30 year old right back, I'll try to introduce a 18/19 year old to the team slowly, so that when the player turns 32/33 I can sell them and still do ok for them in the market, value wise.

I then should have 21/22 year old that is very decent.

On top of those ideas, better training facilities/coaches obviously help develop a player to reach his potential. The player himself also can factor in...young players with high determination stat will improve quicker than a similar youth player with a lower score in that stat.

There used to be an excellent thread in which a gentlemen dare I say it who unfortunately passed I believe created an excellent guide on how to develop youth. It really helped me when I completed my challenge of winning the Premiership with Southport using only academy players right from Conference North to Premiership.

Apart from player development, I have to say that the online guide linked to above is one of the best I have come across, and covers all areas of this game very well, and with an abundance of good advice. It does many things right.

Try playing them in a few games and look at their performance. If they do well, there is no reason to drop them for your regulars. I have dropped many world class players when a youngster is on form. It comes with satisfaction and a lot of reward.

Biggest tip is to play them as much as you can. Lesser cup games aren't enough, you need to be playing them in regular fixtures.

After that, tutoring with the right tutor can be of great benefit. Then of course the quality of your facilities and coaches has an impact.

If they're not getting near your first team e.g. if you've got two talented players of the same position, consider loaning them but be careful with this. They still need to be playing at a level at least equal to their CA. Also, make sure the club you're loaning them to has good training facilities. If these conditions aren't met then players stagnate and complain.

There used to be an excellent thread in which a gentlemen dare I say it who unfortunately passed I believe created an excellent guide on how to develop youth. It really helped me when I completed my challenge of winning the Premiership with Southport using only academy players right from Conference North to Premiership.

That'll be the legend that is SFRASER!

Sfrazer RIP

Biggest tip is to play them as much as you can. Lesser cup games aren't enough, you need to be playing them in regular fixtures.

+1 on that. And start them, not subbing them on in the second half. If they get tired, can still sub them off.

Pft, loaning! And lose control of their development?

I never, ever, ever loan players out unless they're not going to make the grade. I'll only loan players I plan on selling anyway.

That way all of my first team players of the future are developed exactly how I want them to, even if they do develop slightly "late" as a consequence. It's not really much of a difference anyway - they develop pretty fast once they're playing first team football.

Of course, that's something I only do at the very elite level of the game. Lower down, I loan out - sometimes because other teams actually have better facilities than I do.

Pft, loaning! And lose control of their development?

I never, ever, ever loan players out unless they're not going to make the grade. I'll only loan players I plan on selling anyway.

That way all of my first team players of the future are developed exactly how I want them to, even if they do develop slightly "late" as a consequence. It's not really much of a difference anyway - they develop pretty fast once they're playing first team football.

Of course, that's something I only do at the very elite level of the game. Lower down, I loan out - sometimes because other teams actually have better facilities than I do.

This.

Loaning doesn't help much, if at all.

Cleon's guide, once you remove all the 'fluff' about Ajax is the authority on youth development.

The principles are;

1) Personality (tutor them to Determined/Professional/Resolute etc they need a mix of professionalism and determination)

2) Talent itself (can't do squat without talent)

3) Game time (15+ games a season)

4) Training (you need to be proactive in targeting weaknesses and flaws to make them the player you want, this could be positional training or just touching up their weakest attribute.)

Archived