The Weird World of Belgian Transfer Windows

I’m currently managing Hasselt in the third tier of the Belgium football league system and the transfer windows have the weirdest limitations I’ve ever seen. Basically no 3rd division team can buy players from the same or lower divisions until July of each year, You can only buy players from divisions above, loans or free transfers.

Can any Belgians on here explain why this was introduced? I can’t understand how this helps teams progress (IRL)?

Seems reasonable to me, perfectly logical.

it kinda makes sense for a more even teams in league, given that they're signing players from better sides (who should in theory be better than their current crop)

but take the case of a startlet that's performing for a lower league club (Alloa for Leicester comes to mind, or Vardy) in which they wouldn't have allowed to have been signed

I’m currently managing Hasselt in the third tier of the Belgium football league system and the transfer windows have the weirdest limitations I’ve ever seen. Basically no 3rd division team can buy players from the same or lower divisions until July of each year, You can only buy players from divisions above, loans or free transfers.

Can any Belgians on here explain why this was introduced? I can’t understand how this helps teams progress (IRL)?

I think this has something to do with amateur contracts.. Lower teams can sign players in April(may ?)

I'll try to find the right rules.

Slightly unrelated but what bothers me about Belgium (and Holland) is the amount of South Americans that are brought to the league. Many of the Dutch national team in my save (2028) are actually Brazilian born and although there are some pretty good Dutch youngsters coming through the game, the clubs are too reluctant to develop them because of cheap South American talent. Hope it's fixed in 2015.

On another note I read an article about how all the domestic youth teams in Belgium had to play the same formation the national side does to help with the development. If you think about it, they've got very similar players in every position and it's probably why the transfer window is set out how it is. Encourages players to drop down and get experience, just ironic it has no effect in FM

Archived