Halfback Issues

So I play with back 4 and 1 DM

With the both fullbacks are assigned to role FB-attack duty, two central defenders CD-Cover duty, and the DM is Halfback

I like to build up play from the back so i give my GK "Distribute to defenders" instruction

So, when the ball is passed, the HB will instantly drop deep, like what his role described

Because i play with just 1 dm (the HB himself) and both the fullbacks going forward, this will leave gap between the midfield and defence

This is really bad against opposition who press highly up the pitch, resulting in two CDs and HBs will loft the ball forward directly because they can't pass to the midfield (will provide screenshot, but looks like I can't right now :()

The reason I use HB role is because I love how he defend. It's like we play with 3 defender when we defend, and i find it very useful against opposition with 2 striker formation

Ideally, what I want is the DM defend like HB (covering space left by teammate and so on) but also can link up play between the midfield and defence (only drop deep if it's necessary)

The link up play will work if I give the DM roles like anchor man, defensive midfielder, bwm, but it looks like those roles didn't defend in the same way like the HB did

Looking forward for your suggestion guys! cheers :)

I use a HB as well, in a 4132 setup, and I find him linking to my more forward midfielders well. It does not depend on your HB alone, but also on how your other players are set up, with roles and duties. Your HB will need at least 1 CM/support (or similar) as a support player in midfield. With a 4132, I play with 2 such supporting central midfielders.

By the way - both CD's on cover duty (or both on stopper duty) is something that is - in general - not recommended. How does that work for you? When having a HB, I wouldn't recommend having a stopper/cover setup either - having both CD's on defend duty seems the most sensible.

I play a HB in my diamond system and have one of my MCs as a CM (d) to ensure there is someone nearby for the HB to find. My other MC is a B2B and it helps with my various triangles on the pitch. My HB also has PIs to attempt more risky passes another I can't remember to do with passing, and although I don't see him playing Hollywood/Gerrard passes all the time he does sometimes pick out other players he might not normally try to find without the PI, such as my maruading CWBs or my F9 dropping deep.

Archived