Football Manager TV Advert - Pre-order for early Beta access [Out Nov 7th]

I have contemplated commenting on this. But since there's 300+ views and no comments, maybe it's people being too polite. I am in no way being dismissive of the team who obviously put in hours of work on this, and worked hard on it.

The TV advert looks very amateurish. It's not provocative in anyway, the language (bad rhyming) is terrible and a plethora of image choice and video edit choices.

I know it's a struggle to get a simulation to be translated to a video, and I understand the human connect point being visualised in the video.

But you really need to look at other games and how they are marketed. Some games don't even show real footage. Consider hiring great 3D animation artists, and display a "not game footage" disclaimer.

You showed great shots in the video release of stadiums etc.

What I'm getting at is you could have some cool kids, people coming from work, people working from home etc. reflecting on a days game, sets a scene "should have brought on x for player y".

It then pans to a split screen of people from different walks of life, thinking about the same thing, formations, tactics etc.

Each person is then transported to a 3D representation of a manager standing on the sidelines, issuing instructions etc., few screen grabs etc. clicking through match day options etc.

Then a zoom out to stadiums, and the tagline "Who will you be? Who will you manage? What challenge awaits you?" - Football manager 2015.

The current advert is just not punchy enough - there's nothing provocative that stands out.

To me, the ad is just there. It really does not stand out to me in any way, positively or negatively. If I already buy this game every year (or nearly every year), I would think, oh nice, the game is coming out Nov. 7. However, if I never bought the game before, I am unsure if this ad would cause me to buy it or become curious enough to want to learn more about it.

I do really like the suggestions in the second post, especially this one: "It then pans to a split screen of people from different walks of life, thinking about the same thing, formations, tactics etc." This helps show how inclusitory this game is, that people from all walks of life play it (and think about it) in their spare time.

I believe that this advert has the right idea. I understand that the budget restraints may play a part, it just has a good idea in regards to how it was produced but I do believe the new 'features' should feature more prominently. I think maybe that trying to attract players that have been away for a while might be good way to reintroduce old players.

Its just an idea, it just doesn't grab me because the advert isn't fleshed out enough to keep me interested(Btw im a massive fan of the series since the early/mid 90's. I apologise if it offends any of the production team because my intention is to give an honest opinion rather than criticise somebodys work. As I said its more to do with the content rather than production. :thup::)

I know there's the whole "power-of-marketing" thing, but does this advert really matter in the grand scheme of things? It's not a new product, and I'd wager the vast majority of the potential market already know about the game enough to form a decision on whether to buy it or not. You could do all you need by putting white text on a black screen with something like

"Football Manager 2015"

"It's New. It's reet good."

"7th November 2014"

For that being a TV ad, I'm with Eugene- it looks low-budget and doesn't really do a lot to create any kind of excitement or interest in the product. The message is literally "this is a football management game, where you have different choices as to how you manage", delivered in a flat, matter-of-fact way.

Ok, so the brief is to put emphasis on the tracksuit/tactical element, as that's a new feature, and the tagline is "How will you manage?".

First concept that springs to mind: we see the back-and-forth build-up of two managers to a match against each other, with the final shot being the two shaking hands at the start of the game. Rather than a voiceover, it's presented almost as a faux sports programme, following the two in their preparations for the big game, with an interviewer, talking heads etc.

Manager of the red team is a tracksuit manager. He's shown putting out training cones, leading training from the front, talking face-to-face with his players.

"Matches are won on the pitch. It's no good pushing paper and making phone calls if your players are gonna be knackered after 60 minutes. These lads know exactly where I want them, what I want them to do, and how I want them to do it."

Manager of the blue team is a tactical manager in suit and tie. He's shown joking at a press conference with a new signing, cameras flashing and teeth shiny.

"Football is about talent and it is about knowledge. You need to find the best players, the best coaches- you need to win the match in your mind- out-think and outsmart the opposition. Preparation is everything. We are prepared."

Prematch team talk time. Red tracksuit manager is animated, geeing up his team, getting them fired up for the match with an inspiring team talk. Blue tactical manager is shown calm and collected, explaining tactics on the magnetic board.

The two managers make their way down the tunnel side by side, leading their teams- before they turn to their respective dugouts, their eyes meet, both smiling, thinking they have the upper hand. They shake hands.

"How will you manage?"

Edit: Incidentally, it also occurs to me that AFC Wimbledon have Bayo Akinfenwa playing for them. Given SI's ties with the club, he would surely be a potential and worthwhile cameo, given his relatively high profile.

I would actually love it if it didn't come this Friday. Mostly because I'm abroad all weekend, and wouldn't be able to take advantage, but definitely partly because of the level of seethe there would be on here, despite it being a pretty much imaginary date that was never agreed to in the first place.

• Administrators
SI better not now go and spoil it all and say something stupid like "its not out for a week".
as usual, it'll be out when it's ready :). There's no deadline as such, all promotional material states around 2 weeks of gameplay for a pre-order.

Hi guys,

I would like to ask you something. This FM is 4th in a row when I helped to create three teams from Slovenian league for the creators. I love doing it and I am very grateful that every year I recieve free copy of FM 15. Every year I also got beta access two weeks before, so I would just like to know if I'll get beta access this year also. My "general scout" (If I can name him like that) assured me that I will get free boxed copy, but he does not now whether I'll have beta access two weeks before. So I hope you can help me with that.

Thank you for your time and answer,

Cheers

• SI Staff
Hi guys,

I would like to ask you something. This FM is 4th in a row when I helped to create three teams from Slovenian league for the creators. I love doing it and I am very grateful that every year I recieve free copy of FM 15. Every year I also got beta access two weeks before, so I would just like to know if I'll get beta access this year also. My "general scout" (If I can name him like that) assured me that I will get free boxed copy, but he does not now whether I'll have beta access two weeks before. So I hope you can help me with that.

Thank you for your time and answer,

Cheers

If you requested a boxed copy, you'll be able to play the pre-release beta as soon as you receive the game in the post and install it. If you requested a digital download you'll be able to play the pre-release beta as soon as you receive your code.

If you requested a boxed copy, you'll be able to play the pre-release beta as soon as you receive the game in the post and install it. If you requested a digital download you'll be able to play the pre-release beta as soon as you receive your code.

Thanks Simon. Do you have any idea when the boxed copy will be send?

Hi All

I would be grateful if anyone can help me. I recently Pre-Ordered FM 2015 & download was successful, got the game on fine but around a month into it always freezes not allowing me to carry on playing. Is this happening to anybody else?

Internet working just fine, computer performance fine, just the game that's the problem.

Any Help!!!

Hi All

I would be grateful if anyone can help me. I recently Pre-Ordered FM 2015 & download was successful, got the game on fine but around a month into it always freezes not allowing me to carry on playing. Is this happening to anybody else?

Internet working just fine, computer performance fine, just the game that's the problem.

Any Help!!!

Start a thread here http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/418-Crashes-Game-Launch-and-Technical-Issues after checking the guide to posting in the bugs forum.

Well they need to do at least something. Anyway I really don't think their TV advert attracted anyone to buy the game. This game is (mostly) bought by people who player it year in years out.

The latter part of your comment is incongruous with the former. If you don't think the TV advert attracted new buyers, why would they have to make one?

Not many games have the budget to advertise on TV. A game trailer featuring gameplay features would have sufficed, if they were *creative* about it and skipped the ****** live acting.

I agree though, that the lack of response to it shows that many current players could not care less about it.

to be fair, I would be surprised if the TV advert drives a huge amount of sales. I think it's generally put out to remind or inform current FM players of the launch date for the new version. It may surprise you, but there are dedicated FM players which don't use the forums or follow FM on any social media platforms. Therefore, the only way to really reach out to them to let them know the launch date of the new version is via TV. Does the job for me, yes it's not the best, but FM sales are mainly powered by "returning players" (players who own a previous version of FM) or via peer pressure down in the pub.

• 2 months later...

Archived