Football Manager 2015 Features Video Official Feedback Thread

• Administrators

[video=youtube;LIPhF0_S0pQ]

As some of you may have already heard and seen, on the 7th October 2014 after the official premiere the Football Manager documentary, we released details on the forthcoming release of Football Manager 2015.

Above is the Features Video with Sports Interactive's very own Miles Jacobson talking through some of the new features and improvements which will be included when the game. As always there is too much to fit in just a 27 minute video, so please bear in mind these are only some of the changes the game will undergo.

Many others things with every year will be improved, ranging from the AI Squad Building down to the how the Editor works. We'll be looking to do some short blogs on some of the areas in the very near future, including a video about the development of FMC.

What we'd like from you is some feedback from the video in this thread. As always we expect all kinds of feedback, but please remember to try and keep it as constructive as possible. Also if you have any questions (and I'll say now I can't announce any further features!) please do feel free to ask them and we'll try to answer as well as we can.

Remember you can pre-order the game now and get access to the pre-release beta. The game itself will be released on the 7th November 2014.

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the new features video was great. The tracksuit or tactical manager options look dynamite. Thoroughly looking forward to the changes, apart from the new UI. I hope the sidebar can be disabled or someone releases a skin without it. I found everything great in FM14 navigation and UI wise.

I like what i see.

I do hope that there is improvements to the Team Scouting as i struggle with the way the game handles this at the minute. I also hope there are updates to the ai making bids for your players, that you have the ability to ask players you are buying to go their club and ask if their club would continue to pay some of the wages (seems a tad unfair that this is only for ai managers in fm14) and better documentation throughout the game but especially in the Tactics area amongst other small things.

However, i'm impressed with the new features and can't wait to get my hands on it.

Other yourself being available as a coach, I can't work out what setting your own attributes does?

From the video, it sounded like to me that players would learn formations, ppm quicker at the expense of developing relationships with your players

This could be incorrect of course.

• Administrators
How about that clubs actually do now build their squads properly, that they no longer just let the team age and never replace players, or indeed that they no longer buy up the best young talent and let them just sit the the reserves.

Maybe the likes of Man City that win the league do not come to my club that finished 7th and ask to loan my 19 year old third string keeper and then play him for a third of the season even though he is not good enough for a Championship side let alone the Premiership winners, you know something along those lines.

We've worked on it as we've already said, we won't go into further details at this time about it so please stop going back to this same point. Cheers.

Fair enough I will just wait for feedback from the player base once the game has been released and people that pre ordered can give some simple details that it seems SI can not.

Cheers.

Edit-

As I said there is no point in trying the demo to test this feature out as it takes a few seasons to see how it is, the demo only lasts 6 months.

I really like the new sidebar menu and the updated UI, the icons, colors and all that give users a nice visual information.

Scouting looks awesome!!!

As for the match engine, seems that's not fluid and consistent at all. But i don't care as long as frustrating experiences like players irrationally kicking the ball to a completely unreal direction, the ball passing right in front of a player that doesn't react to it, players that runs blindly with the ball to the end of the field even when they're unmarked, etc... (unrealistic behavior) are fixed.

Also the reserve side assistant's selection is completely bugged in FM2014, which completely messes up with my squad's fitness and rotation.

They must make a clear, helpful and complete documentation about interactions in the game (player, conferences, team talks, etc)... seems like i'm completely blind on the concepts and it's effects even making lots of trial and error tests, researching the forums and "thinking how it should be in real life". The resulting behavior (happiness, morale, etc) is a complete mystery to me. In fact, i think the entire game's documentation is incomplete.

The three considerations above made me give up the game after more than 200 hours of playing sessions and a lot of frustration on trying to deal with it, even though i have great results.

One thing I found interesting is at 22:22 in the video. The career profile of Don Biggins - i.e. that he has a full career profile as reserve coach, assistant manager and manager of Colchester. I had to google this, but Don Biggins doesn't seem to be a "real" person from the world of football. This implies to me that we finally get a past career in the game? Or am I missing something?

• Administrators
can you share a few full match videos if possible please?

i'm sure most of fm players want to see ME improvments..

There are plans for a blog and video for FMC, not sure if there's another match engine video in the pipeline, but will see what I can do. No promises!

The 'tactical' attributes for the manager and their influence on the game needs to be expanded upon a bit further.

It's easy to see what impact types of coaching will have if you're a tracksuit manager but what will happen if I have top marks for 'determination' or 'level of discipline'? How will this affect my squad?

I'm impressed.

It's odd that on another thread people were saying the ME graphics were poor with the player animations no good. For me they looked significantly better, and that's just a work in progress.

I am very interested in the enhancements to the manager. I can see that if you opt to be a tracksuit manager you become one of the coaches, but what about if you choose to be a fully tactical manager? How does that manifest itself in improving your players?

• Administrators

Yeah every item makes a difference in terms of being a tactical manager. Can't really give any away at this stage, but motivating for example, may be of use during team talks ;)

I was convinced I wouldn't bother with FM this year. And then I see this video and I'm like 'take my cash now Miles' The enhancements, if they do what they're supposed to look incredible. Single biggest step forward since, I don't know, forever? Please don't overpromise and underdeliver though SI.

• Administrators
Can i ask whether the DPI setting is in FM15. I have an eye condition and this setting saves me from a year of headache. Looks great by the way guys!

There is the zoom setting which may help (was also in FM14 as well). Did you try that previously?

Looks fantastic. The tracksuit/tactical manager set up and ability to add extra favoured clubs and languages is exactly the kind of things I've been craving for my games to help make my imagined manager back stories actually mean something in the game.

Seen a lot of people deriding the new player roles on Twitter, but I'm all for them, regardless of their names. Can't wait to play against the likes of Thomas Muller and Yaya Toure playing far more accurate simulations of their real life roles.

I guess tactical improvements were discarded: different tempo with and without the ball is something basic nowadays, different levels / models of pressing, different / new options when in defensive transition. Too bad :(

I hope better explanations of player roles and duties were considered for FM15, both original and translated.

• Administrators
Hmmmm.. to me it seems that the press talks have become even more burden than they used to be in this forthcoming version...

You'll still as ever have the option to send your assistant if you don't wish to partake in them. That's more of an option than real managers get!

I don't care about the press conferences whatsoever as they have no real effect on the game. I liked the more detailed manager profile options and the scouting system seems to be neater. One thing that I think it's still missing is interaction with agents. That is something that clubs do nowadays to get players, just look at Valencia as an example.

• Administrators
I guess tactical improvements were discarded: different tempo with and without the ball is something basic nowadays, different levels / models of pressing, different / new options when in defensive transition. Too bad :(

I hope better explanations of player roles and duties were considered for FM15, both original and translated.

This is already in the game, partly with player roles and partly with player instructions. You can set the tempo for general play (mainly attacking) then change your defensive settings (close down more/less, get stuck in etc) when defending. Any other suggestions we'd be happy to read about in the wishlist thread, but as Miles said in the features video, modern football seems to be more about roles than two different sets of tactics for attack and defence.

You'll still as ever have the option to send your assistant if you don't wish to partake in them. That's more of an option than real managers get!

Fair enough but the problem with that one being that leaving this to assistant might affect a bit too much on the game itself thus forcing you to participate.

Well.. I might need to check the demo and see feedback this season before buying. I was hoping to see better AI for long term games in this video.

As well as this I'm hoping more around 'team blend' is in and is also impacted when new signings are made.

It's all too easy just to buy a £30m centre back and them to slot in and work with their new partner - whereas in real life defensive partnerships can take a few years to get right.

It's this blend and team combinations that can really make a difference to a team.

I posted this in the other thread, but for what it's worth....

I am really impressed. Probably the most I've been for many versions previously. For the first time ever I was seriously considering not buying on release day (part due to having a great little save going on FM14 still and part due to that the game will be released as always needing patches).

However, this video of new features has suckered me in. It looks a big leap for me.

-Tracksuit manager or Tactical manager....Love this addition. Means I can mould the character I want to be in-game far better than I could before. Adds considerably to the immersion factor.

-Improved graphics of the match and player movement....looks better as you'd expect, but not so important for me, not least because I have a lower end spec computer so might not get to see the advantages of this.

-In-match team talk from the side line....wanted this for a long time. More realistic and means I can manage/motivate/scream at swear to my little darlings out there for 90 minutes if I want to.

-Stadium versions....looks nice, much better than the previous bog standard template.

-More PPM's....making the players able to be moulded more to your individual vision. More management to be done in a management game. Plus plus for me.

-Scouting....far too much for me to briefly touch on here, but looks like a massive overhaul and more realistic. Liking that initially you might get only attribute ranges and the more you scout that player the more detail you get. Realistic. Scouting looks like a long overdue big improvement!!

-Press conferences....I'm one of the few that doesn't mind press conferences, I answer every question in-game. I understand why those who find it boring do (but that's what the assistant is for??), but it either needed binning or a more immersive, varied overhaul so I'm more than happy with the work gone in here. Like the broadsheet/tabloid differences, the youth and U21 questions and how questions tailored for periods of the season and upcoming big games or run ins. The media and Press AI seems better by a mile, I hope it is!!

-Player interactions....Looks brilliant. Massive part of the game in real life under-cooked previously and was far too easy to keep everyone happy in previous versions of the game. I want problems of how I deal with the Ballotelli's, the whiners, the sulkers, the greedy pigs, zero loyalty players that every team has. Much more immersive and able to mould your vision of building a squad.

-Advanced announcements of budgets for following season....that takes in to account players you will be releasing, already bought. Makes it much easier to plan ahead and appears reflective of real world practices.

-Club profiles and lists of previous managers....nice to have addition where I can see average length a manager lasts there. Am I joining a Palermo or Chelsea or a Arsenal or Newcastle. Hatchet man chairman or patient doesn't care much chairman on who is running his club. Nice little addition. Nice also that at a glance I can see who was there before, how they did, and for how long.

-Job interviews....love the fact they are more tailored to you and your past. And get more detailed as you build up a history with added in awkward questions maybe of why you want the job??

Looking good, looks more realistic and more immersive and personal than ever.

Downside is that I hope the tactical and player role has not been over-complicated and you're left to feel around in the dark to sink or swim on simple tactics that work.

This is already in the game, partly with player roles and partly with player instructions. You can set the tempo for general play (mainly attacking) then change your defensive settings (close down more/less, get stuck in etc) when defending. Any other suggestions we'd be happy to read about in the wishlist thread, but as Miles said in the features video, modern football seems to be more about roles than two different sets of tactics for attack and defence.

Thanks for the time to reply to us all. Surely a balanced combination of instructions and roles (and I think of ppm also) can get us what we need. Even so, allowing a different set of tempo with and without the ball could be a plus into the tactical system. Also, I remember to read somewhere (wishlist maybe) about the possibility to extend some TI to PI (example: specifying a player to be more disciplined as we can instruct the team to be more expressive /discipline ). At the end, congratulations to all SI staff. :applause:

This is already in the game, partly with player roles and partly with player instructions....

Neill, i have no doubt it is in the game but, personally speaking, i find it quite difficult to rely simple ideas on the pitch due to a lack of documentation with how tactical instructions work. I mean, if it wasn't for Cleon, RT etc on the tactics board then i really don't think i could play this game.

So, are there any plans with this iteration of the game to improve in-game documentation?

From the other thread...

Personally.... I love it. The new scouting method/UI is the dogs proverbial, the motion capture may not be FIFA level but it's still chuffing good, the ability to determine what type of manager you are is outstanding.... My only concern is the media. Now, I set my AssMan to handle it, but if it's not overbearing, and is genuinely fluid, I can see myself utilising it.

Other than improvements to AI squad building, my #1 feature request is an editor for FMC. So far I'm very glad I've preordered FM15, and hope there aren't any stupid bugs (hello first touch..) to start us off!

It is too early for me to thank SI and say what a great job has been done but I am very encouraged from what I saw in the video. Some new features, some other changes to the game but without totally changing what is an excellent game or trying to fix what is not broken. If the goalkeepers can catch crosses then I will be even happier.

My only negative is the burger vans. I usually play FM when I'm stoned and seeing these is going to test my munchies to the limit.

Honestly, I'm a little dissapointed not to see any revolutionary changes or any big new features. Dont want to belittle your work but from what I've seen in that video it feels like a reskinned game with the menu put on the left. I'm not gonna comment on new press conference questions or tunnel interview and such things because this is the same old feature put in different clothing with added new questions. Same every year with scouting, theres always talk about new revamped system and everything more realistic but I haven't seen anything radical done to this part of the game. Training is the same, transfers...nothing much.

Having said that, I have to add that I wouldnt find lack of great changes dissapointing if the ME was sorted right and generally player vs AI, and AI vs AI results, which is the most important thing to enjoy FM. The reason you have people on here every year who write angry letters and posts is because the ME isn't getting sorted year after year, and people have to wait for months and famous "end of February beggining of March" to get the proper version with reduced number of bugs.

New motion capture engine is nice but it worries me because its brand new that it wont be as good. I remember in 2004 I think when you first introduced 3d engine how imperfect it was. 10 years later, and I have bought and played every FM game since, not once have I saw the realistic match engine where we dont have to discuss here for months the defensive bugs, goalkeeping bugs, and many many other...

I swear I would be happy with a 2015 data update if the ME was bug free but I would be naive to believe that will happen this year, since it didnt anytime before when I also hoped that. Last year, I was criticizing the game for lack of new features and for posting new "features" on Twitter as "Featurette" every day, while they were really just new make-up details like new journalist questions, or added buttons, colors... Also regarding gameplay experience FM 2014 was one of the worts FMs I have ever played. I have just finished a season with Fiorentina where I won the tittle with 10 draws and 5 losses while in real life eg Juve last year had 3 draws and 2 losses. Results like 7-2, 5-3, 6-4 and etc were so often that I wanted to throw up. Even though I won the tittle it wasnt much satisfaction when you see how unrealistic the game is. No consistency whatsover.

If the ME & results diseases that FM was suffering from previous years are gonna be cured than Ill be happy with anything new you give me. No graphical change or any of the other ones you presented in the video can make FM enjoyable if the actuall football playing part of the game is done wrong

Archived