What do I do?! Arsenal managerial conundrum.

As an Arsenal fan I always play an Arsenal game every year when the new FM comes out. I usually just take over the squad that I'm given, only signing youth talents for future seasons (that I often don't reach these days!) but this year I've got a problem.

Had I been in charge over the summer I definitely would have bought Cesc Fabregas back. Do I edit the game before I play to make it properly my team? Or should I just play with what I'm given? Will it feel too much like cheating? Or will I just regret not editing when he scores against us for Chelsea (which might well happen this weekend!)

Suggestions appreciated :)

whichever way you'll have more fun. Alot of guys will say "don't do it, its cheating" but its a game and you should enjoy it first and foremost. Personally I get more enjoyment from the game without doing these things but its totally up to yourself.

I avoid the editor as much as I can, so I say stick with how it is - however, it's your game and if you want to play it that way, it's entirely up to you.

I kind of agree - it is your save after all

but where do you stop?

sure... it starts off with "transferring" Cesc now, but you'll be making edits of players with brilliance in the first team (like rating Ramsey higher after the first part of last season)

then pre-arranging transfers with the january transfers (seriously don't know why this isn't coded the January update, it's there in the editor for crying out loud)

and then you'll be doing it for FM16 too, because Cesc still won't be at Arsenal

as someone who's done this (I downloaded an unofficial update for FM07 and found a little-known but talented Scandanavian on it, then created him to be as good for the next 5 editions [made him a -9 in FM11 for example])

don't, just don't

it changes the way you play FM forever

edit: for the record, I know create my own team and set myself a challenge, because using real squads seems artificial to me (and it takes around 2 hours of setup time before I can actually play)

gets REALLY demotivating sometimes (while setting the attributes for the chairman/assman/team/stadium etc)

I normally try and sign him in the game the conventional way! (will have to wait a couple of seasons i suppose but by then he may be past it!) if he is being a dick and not signing then i go into the editor and make him play for me! (the all powerful god of football that i am!) might boost his loyalty as well so he doesnt think about going somewhere else! I AM GOD!

Mate it's your game. Do what you see it fit.

If you want him in your side then by all means use the editor. It's part of why it's there. And if you get to a point where the feeling of cheating outweighs the fun, then sell him.

Was 30 his price? In that case, take 30 from Barcelona and give to Chelsea, and then take 15 from Arsenal and give Barcelona. If Arsenal had bought back Fabregas, they would effectively have gotten him for half the price. What happens in FM 14 if you buy Fabregas from Barcelona as Arsenal, is that you pay the price that Barca want, then as soon as you have paid, Barca will give you 50% back because of the buy-back clauses in his contract. Assuming Fabregas' contract particulars remains the same in FM 15, of course - there is some confusion as to what Fabregas' contract details vs Arsenal actually are, and I'm not convinced the FM researchers have got this 100% right.

Does FM have an option yet where you can start without all the not-signed-in-advance summer transfers? So it's like you actually did take over in June/July?

All transfers will be included in the initial release of the game.

Eh, once you click "continue" for the first time, the world becomes fantasy, so if I wanted to do as such, I wouldn't sweat it.

I believe there's as much room for "what if" scenarios in FM, as pure simulations, or however else people like to play the game.

So, what if Arsenal signed Fabregas this summer?

Eh, once you click "continue" for the first time, the world becomes fantasy, so if I wanted to do as such, I wouldn't sweat it.

I believe there's as much room for "what if" scenarios in FM, as pure simulations, or however else people like to play the game.

So, what if Arsenal signed Fabregas this summer?

Exactly. Each save becomes your world. And you can do whatever you want with it.

I never get why people go 'well I wouldn't do it'. He wasn't asking that. He asked if he himself should do it. And the only answer to that is it is completely up to him.

Could be a lot worse,he could sign for my team Glasgow Rangers :D

Can you imagine? :D

I'd not sign him, everyone says 'Arsenal had 1st option and could have signed him' - BUT in my view he would never have gone there, A) he probably felt they weren't as strong as Chelsea and B) I highly;y doubt his wages would be as good at Arsenal. C) sometimes players like a new challenge rather than to revisit a team.

No man. Fabregas ended up in another team purely because Arsenal/Wenger couldn't or wouldn't fit him into their present squad. And what little we have heard from both the Arsenal and the Fabregas camp about the matter seems to confirm this. In FM though, Fabregas is a bargain buy for Arsenal if he wants to come, because of this 50% "rebate" clause.

But this is off topic.

Was 30 his price? In that case, take 30 from Barcelona and give to Chelsea, and then take 15 from Arsenal and give Barcelona. If Arsenal had bought back Fabregas, they would effectively have gotten him for half the price. What happens in FM 14 if you buy Fabregas from Barcelona as Arsenal, is that you pay the price that Barca want, then as soon as you have paid, Barca will give you 50% back because of the buy-back clauses in his contract. Assuming Fabregas' contract particulars remains the same in FM 15, of course - there is some confusion as to what Fabregas' contract details vs Arsenal actually are, and I'm not convinced the FM researchers have got this 100% right.

But Barca wouldn't have sold him if they were only getting 15. They would probably have doubled the price to 60 so they got 30.

But Barca wouldn't have sold him if they were only getting 15. They would probably have doubled the price to 60 so they got 30.

From how I understood it, they accepted a £30,000,000 bid from Chelsea, and that's when Arsenal's option kicked in.

I normally cancel all loans and remove all injuries before I start a new game but wouldn't add a player just because I wished we'd have signed him.

It'd be a straight shoot out with Özil in the formation I'd play so squad harmony could become a problem if that happened.

The only time I used the editor for something like this was last season to reverse a lot of David Moyes' decisions, especially after the January update.

Doubt I'd do it again, but I can't lie. It made the game much more realistic and enjoyable for me. No way would I have sold Fabio, loaned out Zaha and Powell etc. Seemed silly to start a save with those decisions taken apparently under my leadership...

And it's not like Arsenal didn't have the money for Fabregas and, given their squad's injury problems, it wouldn't have been an excessive or absurd transfer to happen in hindsight. I say go for it!

You can always just start again if it does end up ruining the save for you.

My understanding is that there was in fact no sell on fee, otherwise Barca wouldn't have sold him for £30m regardless of who it was to. The clause in the contract was for Arsenal to get first refusal should Barcelona receive a bid. A move Cesc would have taken had Wenger not turned down the chance to re-sign him.

Personally, it's not how I will start my game as I will have other targets in mind, but I think it certainly would be worth a go. Be nice to see how things turn out had we brought back the prodigal son.

Archived