What word best fits FM for you?

What word best fits FM for you?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. What word best fits FM for you?

• A game - You play it and have fun with it just like every other game
    • A lifestyle - It has become a part of your life, like eating. You don't play it, you do it
    • Work - Sometimes you're not even having fun, but in an unexplainable way that's the appeal
    • An addiction - You start it up even when not in the mood, you keep starting new saves...
    • A dark past - Used to play it a lot but now cold turkey. Won't touch it again...
    • A science - not a game but an experiment, calculations, theories, new discoveries and advances
    • A time-killer - You go back to it if you can't think of anything else to do, out of habit
    • The bane of your existence - You WANT to like this, you've tried for years...
    • Actual bane of your existence - You've lost everything, but at least you won the league again
    • An escape - Unlike life, you're brilliant, adored, rich and travel the world
    • Your real job - You work(ed) for SI and can't stand the sight of it any more
    • Something I didn't think of.

A game - You play it and have fun with it just like every other game.

A lifestyle - It has become a part of your life, like brushing your teeth and eating. You don't play it, you do it.

Work - It's stopped being a game, sometimes you're not even having fun, but in an unexplainable way that's part of the appeal. You don't really know why you're still playing this, you might even consider it your job secretly, and not all jobs are 24/7 fun.

An addiction - You start the game even though you're not in the mood, you keep starting new saves trying to get the same buzz you got once upon a time, you could stop but you just don't want to.

A dark past - You used to play it, might've even been addicted to it, but now you're cold turkey and get off just talking about it, but won't touch it again for fear of what else in your life will suffer, e.g. studies, relationships.

A science - This is more than just a game, it's an experiment whose results must be disected over years, calculations and theories abound and new discoveries and advances are always being made. Why don't more people see this? You should be getting paid.

A time-killer - You've played it enough by now, but you go back to it if you're bored and can't think of anything else to do so go to FM out of habit.

The bane of your existence - Dark Souls and Battletoads have nothing on this. You WANT to like this, you've tried for years, but it's just too hard/complicated/time-consuming/slow/mostly boring/hard on your eyes.

The actual bane of your existence - You've lost everything, or at least the important things, you failed at college/uni and you don't have a girlfriend or wife any more, but at least you won the league title again.

An escape - You live a life as a subordinate and/or outcast, and the game allows you to be a universally loved mastermind full of money and life experiences travelling the world.

Your real job - You work(ed) for SI and by the end of development can't stand the sight of it any more, so never really play it.

Something I didn't think of.

It's an escapist lifestyle addiction that becomes a science near the release of the next one.

But there is a squidgy bit that occurs around June when I've won it all for so long, and through various squad rebuilds, that there is no point to play anymore. All the records are gone. All the trophies won. All the hall-of-fames dominated. Then I stop playing totally until the next demo.

It's a very good poll and the questions are well thought out, but the whiners never miss an opportunity :(

I removed the posts, don't see why a very good thread should be hijacked with posts that are clearly off topic :thup:

Previously it would have been a lifestyle, but so busy in the last couple of years its just a game now

If there were an option for 'a dark past, went cold turkey, but thinking of touching again' then that would be me.

I bought '14 thinking I could control the addiction, but all the same old excuses came back. Determined to only play one match a day quickly spiraled to loading up at 9am and being there 15 hours later.

I will pick up '15, but this time instead of knowing I have an addiction, I will know I know I have an addiction. And play no more than an hour a day. That'll happen, sure, sure it will... all easy like. No problem, its no problem. ITS NO F****** PROBLEM!

(I wouldn't mind if SI put in self imposed time limits to the game. It would help some of us out)

Not really sure what one I fit into. I was an old CM regular, turned FML-vet who shunned the main game for those bright lights for a while. Once it died, I decided to dip the toe back in for FM11, but never quite got into it. 12 saw me return to that, and 13 saw it blossom. When 14 was released, I took about a week off work to prepare. Unfortunately, 14 just hasn't gripped me, and now I'm struggling to keep my attention or interest long enough to get to Christmas in any new save I start. (of course you wouldn't think so looking at my hours played total - as a result of it always being on whenever my laptop was, and that usually being the case while I was out at work, I must look like the game's biggest fan...) Not really sure what's happened, but I will indeed be back for 15 in the hope that it's better. At the very least, it will be for the first few months while the "shiny shiny" mindset is still there.

I guess the most apt one would be "a game" in that case. Other releases have been more of a lifestyle, as I would end up "playing" FM most of the time I was at home in some sense, even if it was just pottering about, hitting continue a few times while doing other things.

You're missing the object and context of this particular poll, there are plenty of other threads for whingeing in.:)

The poll doesn't ask how you see FM as a game but how you see it's effect on you.

Who's whingeing? Anyway 9 choices are more than one word and I didn't know which one to choose.

It is my real job, but I wouldn't say that I'm sick of the sight of it.. Far from it. Can't wait to get hold of FM15 and play it as a fan - so I suppose in that sense it's an addiction.

One of the cool things about being part of the test team was that there were so many new builds that the final game still felt new and fresh. Plus you play it completely differently when trying to break it or test it than you do when gunning for FA Vase glory.

For me, more like a 'Fantasy Adventure', with very emotionally involving highs and lows, legendary teams and players (I still remember an Albanian forward from my FM05 Braga side!) who live long in the memory for years to come. Just last week I was planning to leave Slavia Prague as it was time to take a step up, we retained our title with a 7-0 home win (against the team in 3rd) on the last day which I thought was a heck of a way to go out and I almost ended up staying despite the overwhelming case to go (and the fact that it had been decided for months in-game in advance) because it was a moment that I wanted to last forever.

Archived