Help defending against near post corners

Do you ever set Match Training to Defending Set Pieces? I haven't noticed a lot of near post corner goals conceded but anytime I have game where I suffer against set-pieces I immediately update the match training to (in my head at least) get back to basics / ensure they are on top of their responsibilities...

I like to leave two players forward when defending corners as the AI is cautious and will generally leave at least 3 players back to cover. One player covering 6 yard box, and one player on edge of area to pick up rebounds / clearances etc.

I've also experimented with leaving 3 players Fwd as again the AI will leave an additional man back. You need to be sure the players you've left in the box can cope though!

Stop setting man-marking, just leave two players, one at the near post, another at the far post and a third witing outside the penalty box, all the others set to zonal marking

When you say set to zonal marking, how do you implement that?

Do you just tell the players to "stay back" or to "mark the 6 yd box" or something else?

One player marking the near post

One player staying forward

One player on the edge of the area

One player marking the six yard box

Everyone else going back

I rarely concede set piece goals anymore, although keep in mind my fullbacks, centerbacks, and two of my midfielders are generally good jumpers and physically strong, which I'm sure helps a great deal.

Archived