Defensive mid headed clearances often going back to opposition

Always notice my defensive mid racking up a lot of misplaced passes despite being a fine passer who is instructed to play short, and looking in analysis noticed most of these are headed clearances directed at another teammate. Putting aside that some of these don't appear like attempted passes at all, many of them are and many are silly overambitious passes to the front man or short wide players who aren't interested in high passes. The player in question is on the half back role, and I've thought it might be a mentality issue where there are no players on a similar mentality to him in the right position, being as I use full backs on attack and two midfielders ahead who are on Box-to-box and advanced playmaker attack. I've considered changing the box-to-box to deep lying playmaker support but I don't want or need two midfielders who sit deep.

These aren't usually 'missed passes' that lead to dangerous chances for the opposition, but I would like some suggestions as as much as anything it annoys me that his match rating is driven down because of these incidents in otherwise solid performances, which lead to "form" issues, lower morale, leading to actual bad performances and so on.

There is a tendency in the ME for some dodgy passing / heading decisions to be made in the defensive third (I especially enjoy the wayward cross field passes). However, it shouldn't be a frequent enough occurrence to materially affect your enjoyment of the game.

It sounds like there is a possibility that your system is contributing towards the frequency of these duff attempts. When do they tend to happen? Your system is very transitional with the MC and full back setup; you'll get lots of movement when moving for defence to attack (and vice versa). If the Half Back becomes isolated mid-transition then his options may be reduced, causing him to make a rushed or inappropriate passing / heading decision. What sort of attributes does he have?

Daniele De Rossi. Should have great attributes for HB role. It's a fluid mentality. They always happen when the opposition sends a long ball into my half often towards a playmaker or target man and De Rossi intercepts, often under no pressure. It's particularly notable as the AI opposition players always seem to nod deft headers to the side to a teammate, which is what I want. I do often play wide but not always.

On a side note with the dodgy passes I'm constantly having players attempt short lazy looking passes to advanced full backs where opposition winger is clearly directly in the way and makes a simple intercept. Possibly an ME issue though it happens with my players a lot.

There is a tendency in the ME for some dodgy passing / heading decisions to be made in the defensive third (I especially enjoy the wayward cross field passes). However, it shouldn't be a frequent enough occurrence to materially affect your enjoyment of the game.

It sounds like there is a possibility that your system is contributing towards the frequency of these duff attempts. When do they tend to happen? Your system is very transitional with the MC and full back setup; you'll get lots of movement when moving for defence to attack (and vice versa). If the Half Back becomes isolated mid-transition then his options may be reduced, causing him to make a rushed or inappropriate passing / heading decision. What sort of attributes does he have?

It's like Rooney at full back sometimes with those cross field passes! Heart-stopping moment when it happens in the 93rd minute and you're only 1-0 up! >.< I do wish we could single that out in the dressing room and go 'just what the bloody hell were you thinking?!'

Archived