Athletic Club Bilbao - scouting

One quick question for those who have played in the Basque region - is it possible to expand the scouting range outside Central Europe? The club is currently with Worldwide reputation and there are few players in UK I'd like to scout.

Also, although allowed in the game, is hiring non-Basque non-playing staff technically against the cantera policy?

Have you found UK players qualifiying for Basque nationality? I never got anyone who was not either French or Spanish. And I´d believe it is not against the cantera policy. Marcelo Bielsa managed them, he was loved by everyone, and he is from my city and has no basque roots in his family. So I´d guess some foreign staff would be allowed.

Chances are any Basque players in England would have continental rep anyway so they should appear in your player searches anyway. Plus assuming you're not English you could hire an English staff member which would give you full English knowledge anyway. I guess your problem is that you can't scout them and find out their potential. I don't see this as a problem as I'm sure guys like Azpilicueta, Arteta etc would be good enough for your first team anyway. The problem may arise where regens appear there which can happen especially if there are Basque staff there or even players can have an influence as well. They can even have brothers appear.

On the no non Spanish/French Basque players there are a few.

Yes Athletic Club abolished there Basque policy for staff members a long time ago.

Thanks for the thorough answer. The year is indeed 2026 so all those you mentioned has long gone in the game, and while those regens have great rep I cannot scout them for possible price and potential mental weakness. I don't understand the mentality of the game to restrict scouting in Central Europe only. The current restriction means the manager can't even send scouts for Europa League of Champs League where those non-C.Europe Basques mostly play in! The scouts only generate Basque-only reports anyway...

Yeah, its a problem especially as a club of their size would normally have continent wide at least scouting. Perhaps SI can code so you can send scouts for individual players for this club when they are outside your scouting range. If they are fairly cheap I'd take the risk on them anyway if there CA is good enough for your first team.

I'd raise this in the bug forum if I was you as I find it unrealistic to systematically rrestrict scouting like this. Yes, restrict scouring of foreign countries but not continental comps. Also if you found a diamond in the rough there IRL you could send a scout there.

Thanks, I raised this in the bugs forum. It seems harsh when I joined the club midway has no knowledge of any Basque players at all. Those non-C.Europe stars are mainly from Basque, but I wasn't there when they develop so I have no understanding of them.

Archived