MLS in FM 15

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They won't. The MLS season represented will be the one currently under way, as the new one won't start until next Spring. There will be no new teams in FM15, at the very most there might be some parts added in the editor and not activated, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Damn. I'd love to see an expansion draft and be one of the teams deciding whether to draft high potential players or MLS ready players in either the college or expansion draft. Maybe they can do a deal with the MLS to update it in the January update. America is a huge market obviously and 'soccer' us a rapidly growing sport there.

They could easily add in the expansion as a pre-made event. But probably won't because they can sell it as a new feature or whatever next year. But please surprise us SI and do it for once!

It's nothing to do with raising profits. Their license will only cover this current MLS season, and not enough is known about the clubs yet to make a fist of it. They'll only put it in once both things are satisfied.

It's nothing to do with raising profits. Their license will only cover this current MLS season, and not enough is known about the clubs yet to make a fist of it. They'll only put it in once both things are satisfied.

Their profits increase will be significant I reckon if they can get it done. Surely there'll be enough info by March when the final patch comes out.

In Madden 2002 they added the Houston Texans in season two in franchise mode and you could take control and start the team from scratch. I absolutely loved it and I'm sure the majority of gamers in the third most populous nation liked it too.

Their profits increase will be significant I reckon if they can get it done. Surely there'll be enough info by March when the final patch comes out.

In Madden 2002 they added the Houston Texans in season two in franchise mode and you could take control and start the team from scratch. I absolutely loved it and I'm sure the majority of gamers in the third most populous nation liked it too.

I'm not saying profits wouldn't, I was disagreeing with the assertion that they're deliberately keeping something back so they can increase them later. SI have always been about making sure that everything is 100% confirmed before it'll make it into the database, and they don't have the licence, and won't until FM16 comes around. It really is that simple.

I wasn't disagreeing with you I was just stating that it would be worthwhile to implement if it is possible under their programming and depending on licencing fees. The American market is too big and affluent to ignore. I certainly hope they are working on this. Am I wrong in assuming the teams will be largely bare until the drafts occur? So is there really a lot of things to get perfect before implementing it? I realise implementing an expansion draft would be near impossible but they could certainly just give them regens just like promoted teams who don't have enough players.

I wasn't disagreeing with you I was just stating that it would be worthwhile to implement if it is possible under their programming and depending on licencing fees. The American market is too big and affluent to ignore. I certainly hope they are working on this. Am I wrong in assuming the teams will be largely bare until the drafts occur? So is there really a lot of things to get perfect before implementing it? I realise implementing an expansion draft would be near impossible but they could certainly just give them regens just like promoted teams who don't have enough players.

You'd have to ask them. I'd be inclined to say that they would never go down the lines of putting in a dynamic expansion draft for a few reasons. They don't let us edit competitions mid-game, because the database wouldn't support it, and that's exactly what they'd be doing with this. It would probably take a considerable rewrite of how things work to get it working even close to well, and to be frank, it probably isn't worth the bother in the grand scheme of things. Yes, it's a big market, but how many of those American customers will play exclusively in the MLS? It remains fairly niche in FM terms, given how different it is to everything else, so I doubt they're going to go restructuring databases just for this, given they can just play the safe option and wait until the next version to make things totally official. Plus, as I've said before, they like to make sure that their data is as close to correct as possible - just giving a club regens would no doubt get them flak. Simply put, they can't win. Unless they just keep going how they are now of course

• Administrators

This is the biggest problem I'm afraid.

I see what your saying but what they have achieved already in creating the MLS so far considering the typical American quirkiness is AMAZING and I realise I'm being a pathetic, demanding and whiny bitch here.

On the regen point promoted teams from non playable leagues get regens upon promotion but I know how the Americans feel they are special and would demand otherwise.

I just wish this league was more flexible in the editor without breaking things.

The latest update attempted to add a B team for the Galaxy but its all wrong because the team are mostly filled with greyed out players. This team should be signing their own players as well. Also the Galaxy now carries a small roster for some reason.

I tried adding B teams as an affiliate but it crashes the game and then I tried to work around it by giving them a permeant affiliate for loan deals but for some reason the deal was canceled a few years later...

Part of the reason is the player rights are owned by the MLS itself. So by giving your team a B team would be cheating because you could bypass the rule where unregistered players are waived. Not sure if that's the reason for your problem though. Do you gave same board ticked in editor?

Is having same board tick a reason why permanent affiliation deals are canceled? Im not sure if I did it that way or not, I honestly tried so many different setting combinations.

Unless its fixed in FM15 permanent affiliation deals are the only way to give MLS teams a B/II team which is what the MLS is going for considering USL PRO are fine with being a minor league and would like at least 30 teams..

...But that still doesn't help with non selected match day players being made available on the USL PRO team...

Edit- I'm going to see if I can clone LA Galaxy, rename the team LA Galaxy II, place them in USL PRO and tick the necessary options (I guess move freely will not work?) Give the USL Galaxy team an U18 team and delete the Galaxy academy.

How would first option to buy work in this scenario? and would the Under 18 Galaxy team get regens? Sorry for the hijack but this is a important matter for MLS in FM 15 and beyond IMO.

One would think permanent deal wiuld prevent cancellations but who knows. The Spanish teams and similar B teams systems have same board ticked.

Is this to replace the current reserve league? If so I'd suggest adding a reserve team within the Galaxy club itself and then adding them to the league you like. It should theoretically replace the current reserve team. This worked in previous FMs in England.

One would think permanent deal wiuld prevent cancellations but who knows. The Spanish teams and similar B teams systems have same board ticked.

Is this to replace the current reserve league? If so I'd suggest adding a reserve team within the Galaxy club itself and then adding them to the league you like. It should theoretically replace the current reserve team. This worked in previous FMs in England.

Problem with that is the reserve team playing in the USL PRO will not have enough players because of the MLS contract restrictions and will fill the rest of the team with grey players. This is what SI did in a update when they added LA Galaxy II.

LA Galaxy II (and I'm sure the new MLS Reserve/USL PRO teams) is made up of Academy players, Players exclusively signed by LA Galaxy II and LA Galaxy players on loan to Galaxy II. I am trying to recreate this now and hoping that SI fixed this for FM 15.

Ok I thought you were doing a fantasy type thing. Oops sorry.

It should be set up as the to level of your academy if I read you correctly and therefore protecting you from poachers and at the same time making them ineligible for MLS games. Are the Galaxy set up differently in this regard to other teams?

• Administrators
Thanks for your presence Neil. I appreciate it.

So if that is the key problem would the required licence be too expensive to make it worthwhile? If so I understand.

No, we have an MLS licence, but we have it for this season. The season which runs from March until December. It'd be impossible to do the database for the MLS justice for next season without knowing all the details - we wouldn't have enough accurate information to make it worthwhile as the team rosters will likely change vastly before next March.

Ok and could you make it possible for the fans to edit the number of MLS teams without destroying the draft and all the elements hardcoded ?

Just put an option in the editor "Number of teams in MLS" i don't know but it might be possible.

I believe the teams will be in the game. Just not in any active competitions. All 3 of those players will likely be loaned out at the time

Aye, but it will be a real shame if we cannot utilise these sides in the game; I'm really hoping that the hardcoded mechanic of the MLS will be more editable in FM15, allowing us to at least add expansion sides if we so please.

Sadly, I don't think I'll be playing FM15. The lack of an increasing MLS salary cap in FM14 (despite appearing in previous versions) doomed the game for me...along with the inability to get an accurate version of the CONCACAF Champions League up and running (having the Canadian clubs listed as American creates a paradox for the rules, wherein American clubs can't be placed in the same group, nor can they be in the same group as Mexican teams. That's obviously impossible when the game has 5 teams it counts as American + 4 Mexican to be allotted to 8 groups.)

Aye, but it will be a real shame if we cannot utilise these sides in the game; I'm really hoping that the hardcoded mechanic of the MLS will be more editable in FM15, allowing us to at least add expansion sides if we so please.

This is pretty much my only hope for FM15; that the game will allow us to make league-wide edits--either in-game, the editor or both--which would enable us to adjust teams, salary rules, etc.

• 1 month later...

Another side note on MLS for 2015 - appears Chivas USA will not play in 2015 (and 2016), which would bring the MLS to 20 teams. They would rejoin MLS, with a different brand and team name, when Atlanta is added to MLS in 2017.

Last I heard, this was not 100% definate but very highly probable. So we'll get a licensed Chivas USA club that will not be playing the next 2 years. and with a different team name in 2017.

I wasn't expecting it either but they do join the MLS as of 2015 and the game holds an expansion draft.

Still hope the editor's opened up a little for the league rules, in particular a way to set team A to join MLS in year Z would be incredible since there's already an expansion draft mechanism.

That makes me very excited to just takeover OCSC after the 2014 season and go through the expansion draft and what not. This is awesome. Thank you SI. :D

Archived