Squad Structures and Team Building

I employ a 33 man Squad structure.

11 main first team players, my ideal 11 without injuries/suspension in the squad.

11 back ups although they won't really be back-ups due to first 11 injuries, suspensions, tiredness, cup games, weaker teams. will probably play about 60% of all games (I have a DM-MC-MC-AMC diamond, and all my MCs can also play in either DM or AM, so rotating is quite easy). Strikers, wingbacks will probably get abit less game, about 40%, i do find my back-up goalkeeper suffers and apart from cup games, injury/suspenion, may get 3 or 4 games a season.

Then i have my u-19 squad of 11. These will play in the under 19s and may be promoted to the first team for the odd match. Some of my back-up 11 will be 17-19 so there is also cover there.

I find with this set-up, I can rotate every except GK and play often, give young players a chance, not have to worry about having unregistered players due to a slightly small squad.

How do you build your team.

Generally 22 players plus youth (the youth are the backups, the 22 rotate mostly because they're never 100% fit for marathon seasons.)

At the moment though, I've got a fat squad, because I have too many youths coming in and far too many old players not quite ready to retire. They're all on tutoring duty at the moment, at least two will be released next season but it is a juggle. Conveniently I've had some rough injuries this year so I've managed to keep everyone except the backup keeper happy.

Archived