The FM dilemma

I have 3 tactics, 2 work very well, one is a 4-1-2-1-2 but with no wingers, just a dm,2 cm's and an am. My 2nd is a 4-2-3-1, with 3 AM's, and yet again; no wingers...

My 3rd tactic, a 4-5-1, with 1 dm, 1 cm, 1 am, and 2 wingers.. however this tactic doesn't seem to work well for me in comparison with the other 2..

The problem i have is i have very talented wingers, and i know my squad would be strengthened if their out on the field, but i can't integrate them into my successful tactics as they don't play in any of the positions, what do you do in this situation?

Firstly - You'd be best off posting this in the Tactics forum --> Link Give them as much detail as possible about your tactics, what player roles and team instructions you're using etc. They'd be best suited to give you some really good advice.

Aside from that, here are my thoughts/questions - If your first two tactics work very well without the wingers, why do you want to change that up just for the sake of putting them on the pitch?

Can the wingers be re-trained to play more centrally and fit in to your two successful tactics?

Can your 4-5-1 be adapted slightly? What area of the tactic do you think is the area letting you down? Can you not adapt that somehow? I am no tactical genius but it sounds like if you're having one DM, one CM and one AM, you may be open to gaps in the centre of the pitch? Can your AM drop deeper into CM, or your DM push up into CM, providing you give them the right player instructions to defend or attack as required. This may beef up the numbers in the middle of the pitch. The 4-5-1 I use has one CDM, two CM's and two wingers, and that seems to work well for me. May be something worth looking at?

There are 3 options that I see as being available to you.

1. Change you system to suit the players, not a great choice if you already favour a style a play that is successful & doesn't suit these players.

2. Sell the players, what's the point in having a couple of players who you will not use? Keeping them could also cause squad morale issue if & when they start complaining about a lack of playing time.

3. Retrain them so that they can suit your system.

I tend to try option 3, if that proves unsuccessful I cut my losses & move the player(s) on.

He has said the advice I would have had.

I had one of the best wingers in the game, was brilliant. But I tried a 5-2-1-2 with CWBs and my team just played better but he couldn't play. I did try re-training him into becoming a wing back but in the end I sold him because tht would be best.

Archived