Favourite scouting/recruiting country

What are your preferences when it comes to scouting young talent? We all know it's quite easy to find some great youngsters in Brazil but I found myself having a lot of success with young players from France. For some reason I always seem to find some great prospects (sometimes 'Wonderkids') in France and they're usually affordable to get, unless they're already at one of the big clubs (PSG, Monaco, Lyon, Bordeaux). I know, technically there are probably better areas to scout (if you just look at 'value-for-money') but in all those years of playing FM I've really developed a tendency to buy talented kids from France, maybe I got influenced too much by "the Wenger Way".

However, if I manage in Spain I tend to bring in more guys from South America and Mexico. They only need 2 years to get Spanish citizenship and they already know the language. The same applies to Portugal with Brazilian players.

Do you guys have any tendencies or favourites?

im also scouting mexico but havent found anyone good yet (5 seasons in this save)

Try to manually scout their international team and the international youth teams (e.g. U21, U19) - you'll probably find some real gems there.

Depends on the level you're playing at. Top tier clubs can get great results from Brazil and Argentina, but drop down a level and you can't always get your board to agree to let you send scouts there, and the players are too high rep to join. As such, I have had some great results from Scandinavia, Denmark in particular, when playing as a Championship club. Plenty of ppotentially Premiership level young players.

My scouts in South America seem to find 1-2 kids a year. I'm pretty sure they spend most of their time on Copacabana beach.

Since I limit myself to £750k for youngsters (unless they can walk into my first team) I’ve found a lot (and I mean a lot) of really talented youngsters in the Nordic countries. Norway and Denmark has been very kind to me.

Try to manually scout their international team and the international youth teams (e.g. U21, U19) - you'll probably find some real gems there.

yeah, i just started scouting there (just loaded their league this season), so its still the first season that my scout is there, i dont think they even had their first intake after i loaded the season, but my scout there is ready!

France have some quality wing-backs in my latest save, but I find French teams very resistant to selling any youth products of any value.

Spain is much more plentiful for talent and weak teams for me to 'poach', sometimes Germany as well and Italy.

FM14 I don't bother with youth poaching much these days, they won't sell or the kids don't give a hoot about joining the best team in the world, they just want to polish some old fart's boot in the relegation zone of the Catalonia regional league 5.

Since FM12 I've preferred buying EU players. I leave the non-EU players for the other big clubs to steal, because usually by the time they're eligible to join in the UK (blasted work permit) they've wasted a few years with inefficient training. But I do add all interesting players to my 'Work permit' transfer list to keep an eye on anyway. Everyone else goes on 'default' and anyone I'm definitely keen on goes on my 'pursue' list. :D

Archived