where's the mistake?

So I took control over this new team and this time I've decided to proceed with FM logic rules in mind only. No odd formations, no fitting players into favourite tactics with disregard of team's real resources.

Where's the mistake?

1. I examined the team carefully, noting down very good midfield and striker, two decent wingers and right back, two acceptable center backs. I chose my main Creator and Holding player. Runner and Aggressor happen to be the same person, as bloke is much capable of playing B2B as well as BWM.

2. I set two formations, careful one (defensive mf triangle):

gk

lb cb cb rb

dm

cm cm

aml amr

st

and more offensive one (offensive triangle):

gk

lb cb cb rm

cm cm

am

aml amr

st

3. I set the roles.

Defensive:

GK

FB CB CB CWB

DM(holder)

BWM/B2B(runner/aggressor) AP(creator)

W IF

DLF

and:

SWK

FB CB BPD CWB

B2B/BWM(run/agg) CM(holder)

AP(creator)

W IF

DLF

4. I set the duties:

GKd

FBs CBd CBc CWBa

DMd

BWM/B2Bs APa

Wa bIFs

DLFa

and:

SWKd

FBs CBd BPDd CWBa

B2B/BWMs CMd

APs

Wa IFs

DLFa

Passes go all astray, attacking is dumb, balls keep landing over the touchline.

There's a creator, a holder, an aggressor and a runner in midfield. Attack and support duties are given to both wide players on each side. Wing Back does not run into Inside Forward, Full Back does not run into Winger. As for AMC and ST, I pickonewith better finshing, composure and acceleration stats and give him attack duty, while other gets support. When there's no DMC, one of CB's gets BPD role. When the DF line is higher and I'm pressing the opponent, I switch my covering CB to defend, while GK gets the sweeping job temporarily.

Where's the gap in my thinking? Is that lack of forward runs in central area? (ST's role, despite his attacking duty is DLF, so he drops deep anyhow, AM is on support, IF the same. Winger has an attacking duty, but this means wide runs. Isn't B2B enough?

Formation 1, defensive:

- rigid / counter

- drop deeper, use tighter marking, float crosses (my striker is tall, good in the air and not that pacey), work the ball into the box (to keep hold of it more), play the bal out of defence (I tend to cancel this shout if I struggle at the back or get a lead)

Form 2, standard:

- balanced / standard

- float crosses, play the ball out of defence

Form 3, offensive:

- balanced/fluid (depends on the opponent) / control

- float crosses, play the ball out of defence, hassle opponents, higher tempo, higher defensive line, overlap

It's Finnish Premier Division. I'm HJK an about to make an attempt on Champions League...

Tactical familiarity, might be it, partly at least. It's 10-11 friendly and League Cup matches into new season and TF is... still below half of the bar. I literally hate that part. Another thing might be motivation, as I receive a number of reports that X and Y appear to struggle motivating themselves to play under my leadership.

Is that it or is there something wrong tacticswise?

Archived