The Championship Manager nostalgia thread

I used to love the matchday feature of having a picture of the ground you were playing at in the background. It gave each game an individual feel to it. Its the little things that make the big differences.

Oh, and also when you were able to choose your managerial personality pre game - like withdrawn etc... I feel this could be brought back someway into FM09. It could limit your media and player interaction to your originally chosen personality. Maybe you could start out as a withdrawn and green manager, but through your dealings with the press and players develop in a wily old Taggert. Anyway, anyone remember what version this feature was on? I'm thinking 98 ish.

I used to love the matchday feature of having a picture of the ground you were playing at in the background. It gave each game an individual feel to it. Its the little things that make the big differences.

The ground in the background would be great. Is there anyway to do that on FM08?

I think there are stadium background packs you can download.

I'm playing CM03/04 at the moment. It's a great game, but it's still so slow on even today's computers :D

it was not the best version. I prefered 97/98 and then 01/02 (with Mexes, Boumsong who still was a star in the making back then, Cisse at Auxerre)

Choosing your personality was way back in the days of 93/94 etc. It was basic but fun - if you chose arrogant, withdrawn players wouldn't get along with you etc. While I agree that personality should dictate how you can interact with media, I think it would be a lot better if your personality evolves as you play. You start off with a normal attitude, and it changes to say arrogant if you're always cocky etc, and then you get more responses based on that. Would add some layers to it that I'd love.

Choosing your personality was way back in the days of 93/94 etc. It was basic but fun - if you chose arrogant, withdrawn players wouldn't get along with you etc. While I agree that personality should dictate how you can interact with media, I think it would be a lot better if your personality evolves as you play. You start off with a normal attitude, and it changes to say arrogant if you're always cocky etc, and then you get more responses based on that. Would add some layers to it that I'd love.

Yeah, I agree. It makes more sense for the game to decipher your personality from your actions as you go along. However, I think you should be able to input a little something about your personality at the start. Perhaps even just what you were like as a player. I mean, you might start the game as a 30 year old football manager, for example, but you don't just manifest out of thin air into one!

it was not the best version. I prefered 97/98 and then 01/02 (with Mexes, Boumsong who still was a star in the making back then, Cisse at Auxerre)

I'm a big fan of both of those too but I can't go back to not seeing the action now. That makes CM4 the earliest option and that was pretty awful.

Choosing your personality was way back in the days of 93/94 etc. It was basic but fun - if you chose arrogant, withdrawn players wouldn't get along with you etc. .

Yeah, now that you mention it, it WAS that long ago. I remember this being in the game when I was playing it on amiga. A nice touch, ahead of its time, but I don't think it had any affect on the game whatsoever.

The ground in the background would be great. Is there anyway to do that on FM08?

Yeah, you can still do that. I have background pics for grounds in Ireland and everytime I have a match in one of the stadia then the pic appears of it.

This feature was great, I just remember seeing the Delle Alpi in the back ground and knowing I was in for a hiding :(

Yeah' date=' now that you mention it, it WAS that long ago. I remember this being in the game when I was playing it on amiga. A nice touch, ahead of its time, but I don't think it had any affect on the game whatsoever.[/quote']

'unselfish' was good...

I still love CM2 italia, awkward to install and run but lovely to play.

Archived