Wants a new Challenge

Ive just taken over Preston who have been relegated into the Championship. I have 8 players from the previous regime who are unhappy as they 'want a new challenge' - these players make up the first team squad I want to build. I have also set there asking price as high as I don't want to lose them and wish them to stay

I have noticed that they will not even speak to me and are blaming me for the breakdown in the relationship - However it was before my time and I would like to talk to them to convince them to stay but I can't.

Is there a way out of this so that I can talk to them - I have just started my friendlies during pre season and even though we are winning there morale is still poor to very poor.

Any advice

Sometimes when you do well in the league (probably after a quarter of a season) they may be willing to speak to you, this has happened to my game sometime ago. Hopefully not too late as they might go in the next window! Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I actually managed to keep them all - basically I offered to clubs for a couple of million above their value - when nobody was interested in them they came back and asked to be taken off the transfer list. Don't know if this was because I was their new manager and it was the previous one who put them on or not

It is annoying that you are tasting the result of what the previous manager did, but from another view it could be that the player was disillusioned at the club or hated the club as a whole instead of the manager(s).

I'm managing the second-ranked club in Europe, I'm favorite personnel for most of my players, and we're leading the league, but I have players stopping in all the time wanting a new challenge...exactly where do they think they're going to go to be challenged? I just tell them I consider them a big part of my plans, they leave, but they always give me the "I'd better be going, you'll be wanting me for something else soon..."...Um, you're the one making a stink and demanding a meeting.

and today, one of my long-term players, 2 years into a 5-year contract, stops in with the whole "I need a new challenge" (which I believe is now code word for "sell me to a English Premier team where I'll make twice as much money sitting in their reserves") and after complaining that I keep making excuses, I offer to find him a new club. I offer him to clubs, receive no interest. Five days later, on "end of transfer period" day, he submits a transfer request because I have broken my promise to sell him. I can't sell you if no one wants you. So, I dumped him in the reserves and dropped him from the national team.

I don't know what set him off, he's been getting regular play (top # of appearances for the team is 23, he's got 18+3 in reserve.) Now he's not getting ANY play and he's lost his loyalty bonus to boot.

I had a similar problem when taking over Zulte Waregem after they'd been relegated from the Belgian Pro League. My top 3 strikers (and a few other players) refused to speak to me and seemed to hold me responsible for the breakdown of the relationship even though I wasn't in charge at the time. Those 3 strikers all announced they would leave at the end of the season and I had no money so had to play these players, along with a number of loan signings. They helped me to win the league and secure promotion back to the top flight but still they wouldn't talk or a sign a new contract, so they all left and I had to rebuild the team completely.

Surely these players may have realised that I had turned the club around and they might have considered staying now we were back in the top flight?

I had a similar problem when taking over Zulte Waregem after they'd been relegated from the Belgian Pro League. My top 3 strikers (and a few other players) refused to speak to me and seemed to hold me responsible for the breakdown of the relationship even though I wasn't in charge at the time. Those 3 strikers all announced they would leave at the end of the season and I had no money so had to play these players, along with a number of loan signings. They helped me to win the league and secure promotion back to the top flight but still they wouldn't talk or a sign a new contract, so they all left and I had to rebuild the team completely.

Surely these players may have realised that I had turned the club around and they might have considered staying now we were back in the top flight?

Seems like this is the case in several other instances as well, as with promises. The players don't realize that you've won the league and will be promoted until the season summary is presented i.e. Even when you've mathematically secured a promotion they still don't realize that in a few months they'll be playing in the next level up (or europe cup or similar).

and today, one of my long-term players, 2 years into a 5-year contract, stops in with the whole "I need a new challenge" (which I believe is now code word for "sell me to a English Premier team where I'll make twice as much money sitting in their reserves") and after complaining that I keep making excuses, I offer to find him a new club. I offer him to clubs, receive no interest. Five days later, on "end of transfer period" day, he submits a transfer request because I have broken my promise to sell him. I can't sell you if no one wants you. So, I dumped him in the reserves and dropped him from the national team.

I don't know what set him off, he's been getting regular play (top # of appearances for the team is 23, he's got 18+3 in reserve.) Now he's not getting ANY play and he's lost his loyalty bonus to boot.

SMH - one month later, after he got no interest on transfer day, he came back in and asked to be taken off the transfer list. Conveniently, I was down two AMC's, so I accepted his request.

There really needs to be an option to tell that to the player. I've had to tell Ashley Cole I'll sell him at the end of the season, while I'm good for left backs I was hoping to keep him on another season or so as his ratings have been great. Here's hoping I'm able to shift him and not have an unhappy player on my hands irrationally complaining about me breaking my promise even though I've done all I can to move him on. Ivanovic is on loan at Inter for the same reason and they have a option to buy. I am keen to see (if they don't take up the option) if the season away changes his mind any.

Archived