Barcelona 2014-15 w/ Suarez etc.

I've updated my FM14 database with the new transfers and I want to create a realistic tactic of how Barcelona could setup with Suarez and their new recruits.

The major changes are are: Suarez, Rakitic, Mathieu, ter Stegen, Bravo IN (with reportedly a right winger who can operate as RB coming in too).....and Sanchez and Fabregas are OUT.

So onto the 2 different possible setups:

4-3-1-2:

http://www.barcablaugranes.com/2014/7/18/5915331/suarez-messi-neymar-tactics-formation

This isn't too dissimilar to how Barca lined up when Messi was injured. When this happened Fabregas moved into a false 9 / false 10 position, much like Messi did for Argentina at the World Cup, and Pedro/Sanchez moved much more narrow and became strikers operating in the channels between the CBs and FBs. Essentially it does become a mix between a 4-3-3 and a 4-3-1-2, again, quite similar to how Argentina played during the WC.

I've found it nearly impossible to actually replicate the striker's roles, I can lineup with 3 AMC's and then I end up being way too narrow, or I can lineup with IF's on the wings and I end up with the 2 wingers being too wide.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to solve this? Or how exactly to replicate Messi's role in the WC?

Other than this I've drawn up the following

--------SK--------

CWB-BPD-CD-CWB

------DLP(d)------

---AP(s)--AP(a)--

??????????????????

??????????????????

I'm also wandering if the setup for the midfield will change at all, obviously it can vary from opponent to opponent as Luis Enrique has said he will use Mascherano in his favoured DM position more. So we could see a BWM with Busquets moving forward to play in a DLP role and Rakitic join him in a BBM sort of role.

3-2-3-2:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2014/08/04/5002476/messi-suarez-neymar-cuadrado-in-one-team-barcelonas-plans?CMPID=FBINT=YYMMDD_RELEVANCE

Enrique has also suggested he will use a back 3 from time to time with the addition of Mathieu and the reported departure of Alves. I'm yet to get anything working with this formation at all. I'm completely lost on roles and positions as with Messi/Suarez it is basically a 3-7-0.

Thoughts?

derp no replies :(

It's the weekend and its Sunday eve, give it time :)

Interesting link (2nd one) you posted there. On paper, that looks close to the old-fashioned WM, except maybe more of an MM formation.

Not obvious to see where the width comes from on first glance, but there are a lot of players in that line up that are capable of getting into wide spaces and operation with a lot of fluidity, both vertically and laterally :)

Just looking at the first link you posted and that is more obvious. Alba giving width on the left, Cuadrado on the right.

It's the weekend and its Sunday eve, give it time :)

Interesting link (2nd one) you posted there. On paper, that looks close to the old-fashioned WM, except maybe more of an MM formation.

Not obvious to see where the width comes from on first glance, but there are a lot of players in that line up that are capable of getting into wide spaces and operation with a lot of fluidity, both vertically and laterally :)

Just looking at the first link you posted and that is more obvious. Alba giving width on the left, Cuadrado on the right.

Yeah, but with only a back 3, you can only imagine in terms of FM Alba would be in the FB position, but having tried endless different combinations I can never seem to get defensive stability as well as a back 3 that provides some width.

I dunno for the 3232 you could try:

-------AFa--CFs-----

--IFs-----------------

----------APa--DWs-

-------HB--DMs-----

-FBs-CBc-BPDd----

-------SKa

SKa - Bravo or Stegen

FBs - Alba

CBc - Mathieu or Vermaelen

BPD - Pique

HB - Busquets

DMs - Rakitic

APa - Iniesta

DWs - Cuadrado if bought, Alves currently

IFs - Neymar

AFa - Suarez

CFs - Messi

You could try and use marking and pressing to direct opponent play down your left side to avoid the gaping hole behind Cuadrado but otherwise it could work.

Articles like this just render the whole concept of formation meaningless. :D If you're going by attacking shape, then a team like Barcelona is going to use countless "formations" during any given match. In any case, they'll press high enough with so much possession in the opposition half that the practical distinctions between their usual 433 and something like 343/352/532/etc would be hard to spot anyway.

If I had to guess, I would say Suarez would nominally play on the right but his attacking movement will be dynamic enough to render his nominal position irrelevant in possession.

Archived