Player's contract expires before he arrives...?

Hey guys. Haven't posted on here ever, but this is really weird. I just signed a regen from Schalke and, because he's injured for four months (yep, ouch), I had to set the transfer date to "end of season". His agent was a bit of a chancer and I had to settle for a one-year contract ... before realising that this would expire before he even got to my club!!

What happens at the contract expiry? Will I need to give him a new contract?

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar situation a couple of years back when I made a deal for an incredible Brazilian that would take a few years to come through and his contract expired the day after he arrived and I felt really stupid (I made it a mission to get him back and eventually did so, though it cost me). I tried to keep a close eye on contract dates for similar transfers after that, having also encountered situations of contracts having to be renewed after only a short time because of the waiting period taking up some of the contract run-time. Oddly though on the same version (FM11) I recently made a deal with the same 3 year waiting period so checked the contract expiry date (mindful of what happened that previous time) and it was set for 6 years after I was doing the deal which suggests that the game does take the delay period into account after all, at least sometimes.

Archived