England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

euro-2016-logo-01.jpg

1 month to go before it all starts again and could not see a thread. No "creative" title since im dire at that, that's someone's else's job.....

Englands Games

Norway (home) Wednesday 3rd September - Friendly

Switzerland (away), Monday 8 September 2014

San Marino (home), Thursday 9 October 2014

Estonia (away), Sunday 12 October 2014

Slovenia (home), Saturday 15 November 2014

Scotland (away) Tuesday 18th November 2014 - Friendly

Lithuania (home), Friday 27 March 2015

Republic Of Ireland (Away) Sunday 7th June - Friendly

Slovenia (away), Friday 14 June 2015

San Marino (away), Saturday 5 September 2015

Switzerland (home), Tuesday 8 September 2015

Estonia (home), Friday 9 October 2015

Lithuania (away), Monday 12 October 2015

I would expect us to qualify but would not be surprised at all if we flopped badly. Switzerland will very tough in the opening game.

Scotland away in November is very interesting.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has just reminded me what a dull qualifying group we have :(. Can't even get excited about pumping San Marino anymore.

Will be funny watching all the Scottish people getting excited about a friendly in November anyway.

Keep saying I am going to knock it on the head, but inevitably I have shelled out another £60-odd and rejoined the supporters club for another two years and booked half a day off work for the Norway friendly. Not exactly enthusiastic about the qualifying campaign and don't fancy us against the Swiss, but then the expansion to 24 teams means we only need to finish third to at least make the playoffs. Well done UEFA, basically made the qualifying process even more boring than usual.

Interested to see how low the Wembley crowds dip for the San Marino game in October - given that another UEFA initiative, the so-called "Week of Games", means it will now be on a Thursday night. When we get about 40,000 out of 90,000 sold, I'm expecting the red tops to stick the boot into "Roy's World Cup flops" and the "disillusioned fans" rather than blaming the comically poor scheduling.

Keep saying I am going to knock it on the head, but inevitably I have shelled out another £60-odd and rejoined the supporters club for another two years and booked half a day off work for the Norway friendly. Not exactly enthusiastic about the qualifying campaign and don't fancy us against the Swiss, but then the expansion to 24 teams means we only need to finish third to at least make the playoffs. Well done UEFA, basically made the qualifying process even more boring than usual.

Interested to see how low the Wembley crowds dip for the San Marino game in October - given that another UEFA initiative, the so-called "Week of Games", means it will now be on a Thursday night. When we get about 40,000 out of 90,000 sold, I'm expecting the red tops to stick the boot into "Roy's World Cup flops" and the "disillusioned fans" rather than blaming the comically poor scheduling.

Yet, they'll be major reasons along with the timing.

I think the Swiss are so-so, capable of beating us, for sure but not terrifying in any way

We really need to pick up some ranking points in this group. Swiss are ranked quite high so 4 points minimum from them would be lovely. Toughest game of the group first

We're playing Scotland in November as well? Why? Pointless and no-win game for us (even if the las, recent game was genuinely entertaining)

I think we tend to get better crowds in recent years against the minnows, don't we? Everyone loves a guaranteed win and goals, it seems

UEFA got the centralised TV rights and lo and behold games spread over a week .. what a surprise. Let's not bother about the fans at all, eh

• SI Staff
UEFA got the centralised TV rights and lo and behold games spread over a week .. what a surprise. Let's not bother about the fans at all, eh

On the back of that, Sky launched a new television channel (Sky Sports 5) to show the Euro 2016 qualifiers. I can't complain.

I'm looking forward to the Lithuania game on the Friday, mainly because the town I'm from a very large % are from Lithuania so hoping there'll be a good 'friendly' atmosphere around the pubs and people from both sides don't go looking for a fight.

The other games I literally couldn't careless about. If there's other things planned I'll happily do those things then watch a mundane low atmosphere England game.

I see we have Ireland in a friendly as well :rolleyes:

I think we should choose our friendlies a little better in terms of ranking points. Fans will turn up to watch England no matter what.

Let's look at teams above us that we feel are a bit ropey. Get some CONCACAF side over in winter when their league is not going on, stuff like that :D Russia look a bit ropey, are they above us? Greece too ... Portugal when Ronaldo is injured, haven't played them in a while. Some African side at a stupid part of the season ... screw playing Scotland and Ireland, we're not gaining anything out of that, can only lose

We'll qualify easily, but only because two teams qualify from the group :D.

Then some of the 3rd placed teams going into the play-offs. Those play-offs will be great, won't they! :p

I hope in games like San Marino these are the games where we try stuff a little. Give 90 mins to Fraser Forster. Give John Stones a full game or whoever else we're considering for centre back. Play a young winger in that game rather than 20 mins of a friendly with 8 subs already made

Still got the core of the team but 1 or 2 fringe players or young players getting a full 90 and a proper competitive cap, even against the likes of San Marino or Lithuania

Easiest qualification process England have ever had, top 2 to go through from a group such as this and 3rd in a playoff so what excuse can there be not to qualify, some mention Woy but even that cant be the total excuse.

However yes I like new format of games bascially from Thurs-Tuesday and yes when England play it'll dominate things but to watch the likes of Belgium,Italy,Spain,Germany and of course Wales on different nights will make it a lot better, just like how the tournament is itself.

Should be good to get some of the England games back on Saturdays and Sundays tbf, never really sold on the whole Friday/Tuesday switch after 2010. Quite like the "Week of Games" in theory, just can't see us getting any sort of crowd for a crap team on a Thursday or a Monday night. But then the FA shouldn't have committed to playing absolutely every home game at Wembley, then we wouldn't have had a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived