Sorrento Second Season Syndrome Help

Hi,

I started a game with Sorrento, no rep to speak of whatsoever. Have made some great signings for the future and went from C2 to C1 in my first season (oddly the top 8 go up no questions asked in C2). In my second season and have complemented my squad with high potential players who should be good enough for C1 all the way to Serie B (and in some cases Serie A). However, my team don't score and morale is in the dumps.

Screenshots of tactics below - are there things I can do to resolve the high number of chances turning into very few goals problem? I'm languishing in low-mid-table and about five points off the relegation zone (predicted 8th). Started strong but just entered the January transfer window, have no money to bring in anyone (and I'm happy with the team for the next year) and haven't won two on the bounce for about three months.

Main Tactic

5a6c5a.png

Back-Up Tactic

c9929b.png

If more information is needed I have no problem with uploading screenshots of match-stats along with the least strong areas of my team (which would be a fairer barometer to judge if the players can't deal with the tactics than the strongest).

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions

Tactic 1:

1. You have a TM on attack (is he tall?) with only one winger (who is not even a winger) on support to cross to him. If he's not tall drill crosses is the correct tactic but your general set up of a TM attack and F9 support is weird.

2. I'd give the WM on the left instructions to shoot less, stay wide and move further up field (you want him to be as high up the pitch as possible when crossing to be able to drill crosses). I'd also give the BWM support duty and the DLP defend duty.

3. A limited full back on defence is pretty one dimensional imho. At least set him on auto.

4. I'd also consider interchanging the two wms so that its the rwm who is on support and the lwm on attack. I'd then push up the lwm in the AML position and make him an IF attack with PIs: sit narrower and cross less.

Tactic 2:

1. Put the IF on attack and give him the PIs mentioned above.

2. Is there a particular reason your left defender is a lfb again? If not put him on support at least. Consider putting him on support or even attack with PIs to stay wide and move up the field so that he overlaps the IF. If he's not up to it put him on support at least.

3. Give the winger PI to shoot less.

4. Also consider turning the dm defend into a dlp defend, giving the BWM a support duty and turning your dlp support into ap support (for better ball holding).

Generally bear in mind that second season syndrome is not just about tactics. This is what I wrote about it once and you may find stuff helpful:

A. Chances are that in the second season your reputation will have risen, so now your team is much more of a threat in the eyes of your opponents.

This may have the following results:

o Teams will often be happier to take a draw against you.

o Deeper defensive lines: the space behind the lines that you were exploiting will get smaller.

o Man-marking of your star players will be much more common - so tweak your tactics to have more varied danger sources (see comments in other posts in this thread).

B. One cannot be too specific about any recommended tactical changes because you must consider what will work best for the players at your disposal, but I would advise doing the following:

1. Only recruit players you are sure you need.

2. Look for players with good creativity, determination, off the aall and anticipation,as these are the players who will help you to stay in games, break down narrow defences and retain possession.

3. Look for pace as well - even where you wouldnt think that its that important (eg starting xi/back up cbs with less than 11/12 pace should be avoided. The ideal is at least 14).

4. If you got promoted in the previous season, you have turned from one of the top teams in the previous division to one of the lesser ones in the division you now find yourself in so your tactics should be tweaked to reflect this.

5. Understand your reputation has changed and play according to it.

6.It is reasonable to want to build on your squad after the first season in a better divison (or after a season of success) but being too busy in the transfer market will damage your team more than improve it. Do NOT go on spending sprees. Rather decide what you need and buy the best players you can for it. Buy quality not quantity. Not more than 3/4 players per summer (up to two in January). Even if you do buy with restraint you still have to introduce your new players gradually (one per starting lineup for a couple of months plus one more as a sub).

7. Conversely dont offload too many players at once. Remember TEAM COHESION is very important. Aim for a gradual shift towards a more balanced team. A team which stays together for long will play better than a team which keeps changing even by the introduction of better players. Language is also very important. It takes players about 6 months to learn the language and this will affect their performances.

8. Look at the candidates you want to buy and esp their character. Dont bring in disruptive players.

9. Do players who previously played tremendously now look lazy or demotivated? (watch the games closely: who is misplacing passes they shouldnt, who is getting caught on the ball, who is skying shots from 6 yards?). Remember that motivation issues emanate from the way you approach press conferences, team talks, private chats and media comments as well.

10. Match train (and general train) to combat specific issues. Or try attacking training as Ive found this works quite well.

11. Pray.

Archived