Financially Insolvent

Are most football clubs financially insolvent?

It sure seems like that playing football manager. I managed to get Stockport to Skybet 1 and I'm starting to bleed money. The current wage cap is 70k and I'm only spending 25k. Yet I'm still losing money.

Seems like I'm stuck now. I don't have the money to improve the team. In fact I'm going to be hard pressed to keep the players I have currently. With the team I have now I won't be able to do much more than finish mid table or maybe flirt with a playoff spot. Without getting promoted I'm not going to get more fans which means I'm going to keep losing money. Even if I did get promoted my whole team would just want more money. Seems like vicious circle.

Keep at it Damedius. Check some of my old threads. I had exactly the same problems. I've made it to the premiership now. Only thing I can advise you on is to use the few scouts you do have and try and be creative in the free transfer market. And don't be afraid to offer the free transfer's a sell on %. Quite often players are willing to take upto half of what they initially want if you offer them the sell on % fee, or % of profit fee.

And the last thing.....let the players who are asking silly money run their contracts down. I had to let so many players go because of it. Feeling your pain bud. Keep at it though. I thought I was screwed, but after a lot of advice I found a way around it.

Definitely a sad reality of the game :( Bear in mind your chairman will usually try to sub some of the on-going costs, but as the above posters have suggested, try to manage on a flea-budget. If you get a coach with knowledge in an interesting country it can really help find cheap gems, especially if you can get a scout with African knowledge

This is what being a Football Manager is all about. All teams at that level will find it difficult, so you have to find a way to be better than them without spending money. You need to learn how to find and develop youth players, sell players for maximum value, make use of loans and be a master tactician all rolled into one.

I took over Cardiff in the Championship. They were spending £290k per week on wages. I reduced it to £200k but they were still losing money. When the bank balance reached -£3.5m the club was taken over and the new chairman put £35m into the club.

I have trouble finding youth players. On youth intake when I go to try and sign some of the good ones they aren't interested. That's understandable because the clubs they are at have a higher reputation. The only way to get them would be pay money for them.

I have trouble finding youth players. On youth intake when I go to try and sign some of the good ones they aren't interested. That's understandable because the clubs they are at have a higher reputation. The only way to get them would be pay money for them.

One tip is if you go to the World Transfers section, filter it down to England (if that's where you're playing), then choose the 'Youth Departures' option from the drop down box. If you time this right, you can wade through all the youth talent discarded by other clubs. Quite often there's a gem that a higher division club has released as they're not good enough for them, but will be a decent prospect for your team.

EDIT - You can also do a normal player search on youth intake day, filtering the age to no more than 15, and clearing out unrealistic transfers. From there, you can then filter via specific attributes and you can quite often pick up a decent player just before they sign the youth contract with the other club.

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

One tip is if you go to the World Transfers section, filter it down to England (if that's where you're playing), then choose the 'Youth Departures' option from the drop down box. If you time this right, you can wade through all the youth talent discarded by other clubs. Quite often there's a gem that a higher division club has released as they're not good enough for them, but will be a decent prospect for your team.

EDIT - You can also do a normal player search on youth intake day, filtering the age to no more than 15, and clearing out unrealistic transfers. From there, you can then filter via specific attributes and you can quite often pick up a decent player just before they sign the youth contract with the other club.

Archived