Are Away Games Scripted?

Hey guys, just thought I'd share a story about my recent experiences with this game which have led me to believe that certain games have predetermined results which managers are simply incapable of avoiding. So I'm in my 5th season with West Ham, my club is very rich and I have a squad with the average player worth around £20million. I finished 5th both times and my first two seasons and 4th the two seasons after that. My 5th season however is not going well, I'm currently 7th and 7 points behind 4th place which is my absolute minimum target (I was actually hoping to be in the title race this season). So I have so far lost all of my away games and won all of my home games with ease, in fact my goal difference is the best in the league because I win my home games generally 4-0 at least. The away games however are a different story. It's like my players just transform into cripples and can't even control a ball, let alone score. Generally in away games I dominate totally without scoring and then concede a goal against the run of play to lose 1-0.

I have noticed that in away games there seems to be this phenomenon with my players that I have taken to calling the "Bounce of Death" - in other words, my players are passing the ball around and then the first touch of my player utterly fails and he literally bounces off the ball for the ball itself to then roll 5-10 yards in front of him for the other team to easily collect and sometimes score. When this happens to a full back or centre back it usually results in a striker having a 1-on-1 with my keeper which they usually score.

So anyway my story: I just had an away game against bottom-of-the-league Hull who haven't won a single game all season and who have lost the last 6 games in a row. With their morale all around the poor/very poor level and my morale very high from a 6-1 thrashing of Schalke in the Champions League, I have to say I was confident that I was going to win this one. Anyway I proceeded into the game and dominated totally as I normally do, having 16 corners in the first half and 70% possession I think something like 14 shots and 5 on target. However I couldn't get the decisive goal. I was especially surprised that I hadn't managed to score from 16 corners considering that is how I get most of my goals and in my save Hull aren't brilliant in the air. In fact at one point in this half I remember a funny incident where Welbeck smashed a powerful near post header right in the top corner, but strangely the ball sort of magnetised into the keeper's hands even though he was stood completely stationary in the centre of the goal. At this point I was sure I had just I had been unlucky so I wasn't worried, especially since Hull had 30% possession and 0 shots in that half. So I came out for the second half and dominated again but for some reason I had far less shots this half and predictably Hull managed to score a late goal on the counter as I got desperate and pushed all forward on overload trying to score. It was the only shot they had too. I just couldn't figure out why I couldn't score in this game. If this had been a home game I was certain I would have scored 6 goals at the very least.

Anyway I decided I was going to use this game as an experiment to try and figure out why I'm failing so bad in away games this season. I browsed this forum for help and I took the advice of many people by adopting a slightly more defensive approach in my tactic when I restarted the Hull game. This time I played on the counter with a deep line and direct passing. However this time I got really humiliated. Hull were 3-0 up in 30 minutes, courtesy of two hilarious own goals and one corner headed clean in. During this first half I had 55% possession, 10 shots 2 on target and Hull had 5 shots 1 on target. I turned off at this point in sheer fury. So to decide whether or not this result is predetermined, let us consult the statistics over the one-and-a-half games on aggregate:

Hull ~ West Ham

Goals: 4 ~ 0

Shots: 6 ~ 30 approx

On Target: 2 ~ 8

Possession: 37.5% ~ 62.5%

Corners: 1 (maybe a couple more) ~ 20 at least

Goals Scored from Corners: 1 ~ 0

So what do you think guys? Scripted or just unlucky? Also would be interested to know if anyone has encountered the "Bounce of Death" in their games, because that has been annoying me a lot too and I want it fixed.

No games are scripted and no games are unwinnable as has been proven on the forum many, many times over the years.

I presume you saved just before the match which means several variables have already been locked in at that stage (A match starts with the post match team talk from the previous match) which means you could have several variables locked in which makes it more difficult to win the match. More difficult doesn't make it unwinnable though you just have to make better decisions during the match.

On a sidenote two matches isn't anywhere near a suitable sample size to draw any conclusions from, especially given the amount of variables that go into the FM ME.

You run a game twice, and because you lost it twice, it's scripted?

As Cougar says, no games are scripted, and if you uploaded the save for other people to manage, you'd probably see the vast majority getting positive results.

How many of these threads are there?! Blimey..

Upsets happen all the time. If you have a regular issue with away games, then look into how you approach the away games. Teams will shape up differently against a West Ham team in the first season to how they would shape up against them when they've been in the top 5 for 4 years in a row and are looking for a title push.

I imagine that going into this particular game, following a 6-1 victory in the Champions League your team, like yourself, expect to win and are therefore complacent - this could be the case based on your team talks, media talks etc etc.

I can't say I know the tricks myself - In my save I'm currently in a rut after winning 5 in a row and getting Manager of the Month, scoring 20 and conceding 5 - I've now lost 4 of my last 5 games and can't seem to hit the back of the net for love nor money. I imagine this is also complacency, and I need to find a way to focus my team.

Basically, this one of the reasons why I love/hate this game so much.. but it's definitely not scripted, as HUNT3R among others have proved quite clearly before.

No your not crazy and yes there is some same behaviour the npc does. As for scripting who knows. You will find most players not watching their games to not understand your point. I know what your talking about and yes the npc will act in some way to either catch up as your leading or go gun ho in the last 10 mins of the game to either win the game.

My experience is whilst watching the game is to analyze whats going on and setup fast tactics for the last 10 mins of each half cause thats when the npc goes on a frenzy depending on your scoreline. One thing about this game that has not changed for years is the counter attack goal when they bomb you straight after you have scored. This is one of those behaviors and how to combat that is, I'll leave others say it better than me.

As for scripting who knows.

Who knows? Common sense, that's who knows.

How can a game with dynamic human input during a match possibly be scripted? Think about it. If all you did in FM was pick the team, hit continue and had no other control until the end of the match, then it's something you could argue against. Even then, it'd be unlikely.

What people continually fail to grasp is that in any given match, be it against the AI or another human, it's not all about you. There's another team on the park. They aren't there just to make up the numbers. They'll have their own tactics, own instructions, and own dynamic changes in-game. This is what differentiates this type of strategy game against many others. It's not just simply a case of 'Press 1+2 and I'll get 3', there's a whole lot more going on. Which is what makes it the immersive experience that it is. And now with a more sophisticated AI in place, it's even better.

So no, it's not 'scripted'. The very notion is nonsense.

Well I disagree with most of these replies to be honest. It is clear from the ludicrous statistics that I posted that as a gamer I did not deserve to lose, let alone 4-0 on aggregate. As for people saying about team talks and such having massive effects on results, I think this is a terrible feature to the game if true. Team talks are only a relatively minor thing compared to player ability/tactics/morale/form and should only have a very small effect if you ask me. I mean a bad team talk is hardly going to transform insanely good players into borderline cripples. Sure it should maybe change how your players approach the game, for example if they are "fired up" they should have like +1 pace or something, but not to the extent where I lose 4-0 when I should have won by 6 goals or more.

Well I disagree with most of these replies to be honest. It is clear from the ludicrous statistics that I posted that as a gamer I did not deserve to lose, let alone 4-0 on aggregate. As for people saying about team talks and such having massive effects on results, I think this is a terrible feature to the game if true. Team talks are only a relatively minor thing compared to player ability/tactics/morale/form and should only have a very small effect if you ask me. I mean a bad team talk is hardly going to transform insanely good players into borderline cripples. Sure it should maybe change how your players approach the game, for example if they are "fired up" they should have like +1 pace or something, but not to the extent where I lose 4-0 when I should have won by 6 goals or more.

This is the most ludicrous paragrah i've ever read. Team Talks are a massive part of real life football! they can change games!

You should read any footballer / manager autobiography to realise this!

It is clear from the ludicrous statistics that I posted that as a gamer I did not deserve to lose, let alone 4-0 on aggregate.

Given the other team scored four more goals than you, I'd argue that you did deserve to lose.

It's funny how this scripted nonsense always rears its head when a player loses. You never see someone bringing this up after a victory. That in itself speaks volumes.

You can disagree as much as you like but you are still wrong.

Brazil had more shots on target than Germany a few days ago but they still lost 7-1, stats don't win games, goals do both IRL and in FM. You lost because you didn't score, your opponents won because they did.

Teamtalks do not have a major effect on a match but they do have a minor effect and pre/halftime team talks matter for the first 15 minutes of each half at most. Post match goes towards the mentality of your players heading into the next match.

Rather than blaming FM you should be identifying what you could have been doing better in that match so that you improve in future.

If you're continually praising a team, no matter how good they are they're going to become complacent and lose focus. Just because Hull are bottom of the league does not mean you should take them for granted - they're still in the top 20 best teams in the country. You are only 7th best - in current world ranking terms, that's the equivalent of Mexico beating Uruguay which is certainly possible.

No your not crazy and yes there is some same behaviour the npc does. As for scripting who knows. You will find most players not watching their games to not understand your point. I know what your talking about and yes the npc will act in some way to either catch up as your leading or go gun ho in the last 10 mins of the game to either win the game.

My experience is whilst watching the game is to analyze whats going on and setup fast tactics for the last 10 mins of each half cause thats when the npc goes on a frenzy depending on your scoreline. One thing about this game that has not changed for years is the counter attack goal when they bomb you straight after you have scored. This is one of those behaviors and how to combat that is, I'll leave others say it better than me.

Have you considered altering your tactics as soon as you score to stop them countering you? Maybe going less attacking?

Team talks are only a relatively minor thing compared to player ability/tactics/morale/form and should only have a very small effect if you ask me. I mean a bad team talk is hardly going to transform insanely good players into borderline cripples. Sure it should maybe change how your players approach the game, for example if they are "fired up" they should have like +1 pace or something, but not to the extent where I lose 4-0 when I should have won by 6 goals or more.

Team talks are indeed a small thing when compared to ability. My local Norwegian 5th division side can't turn into Barcelona no matter how fired up they are. But compared to tactics and form.. it can make a massive difference!

This is hilarious I knew the people playing this game weren't exactly bright, nor experienced in playing actual 11-a-side football matches, but I never knew they were downright stupid. Good luck in life boys, I'm outta here! :D

Archived