World Rankings.

There has been a fair bit of recent discussion about how certain Nations over-perform on the World stage. In order to try and provide some evidence to back this opinion up, (or refute it as the case may be), I am suggesting that you post a pic of your current World Rankings and then also list the structures that you have active within the game. I would prefer that you keep discussion to one of the many other threads that exist to discuss this in a ridiculous cycle and instead just post the data in here.

Rankings_zpsab6d7a93.png

Nations_zps4ed04a63.png

If lots of people do it, (particularly those who have played a decade or more), it will be interesting to come back in a week and see what the data tells us.

Is that really going to be that representative though?

The main thing that always strikes me whenever this terrible argument comes up is that for every person claiming one thing, you'll see at least one seeing the exact opposite. If you then extrapolate that out to a save that has reached, say, 2080, then you've probably seen several peaks and troughs when it comes to each time. You could see one team up the top of the rankings who had been there thirty years previous, whereas in the interim they were yo-yoing. I suspect that if you do get a lot of replies, we'll see one thing - randomness.

I'm not trying ot shoot down your topic though, so I'll venture mine from the point I retired my previous manager on my long term save, and also how things are currently in the save I'm in now. Also bear in mind that for the later save, I've just finished managing Scotland to the World Cup, so things might be a little skewed. Actually, scratch that, it's two years after, following a pretty rubbish qualifying campaign for Euro 2080, so we're down.

Now (2019 - Leagues Loaded: Germany, Italy, Scotland, England, Spain, Gibraltar (all levels))

1st Italy

2nd England

3rd Spain

4th France

5th Brazil

6th Germany

7th Argentina

8th Belgium

9th Netherlands

10th Denmark

11th Ukraine

12th Nigeria

13th Greece

14th Austria

15th Croatia

16th Serbia

18th Mexico

19th Ivory Coast

20th Chile

Later (2080 - Leagues Loaded: Leagues Loaded: Germany, Italy, Scotland, England, Spain, Gibraltar (all levels))

1st Italy

2nd Argentina

3rd England

4th Turkey

5th Portugal

6th Mexico

7th Netherlands

8th Colombia

9th Czech Republic

10th Romania

11th Belgium

12th Uruguay

13th Germany

14th Spain

15th Serbia

16th Scotland

17th Ukraine

18th Ecuador

19th Russia

20th France

The issue I see with long-term World rankings is that: Does anybody know whether there is dynamics to the talent pool of a nation and how does that work? You'd even need to consider change in demographics, which a country like Germany is predicted to suffer from in terms of sporting talent, for instance. Plus the further away the future date, the less football reality to compare it to.

I'd find it more interesting to gauge whether FM reflects more recent standings, nobody's going to predict what's going to happen in 2030. Plus various screens from various saves each would be required. What some folks did with simulating the 2014 WC 200 times was pretty interesting for instance.

I'm not good with editing, but I've cleared and changed the 2011/2012 EPL club rosters in FM 2012 to feature the most reknown players of one of the current World Ranking top 20 nations each and am currently simulating on full match details, still running. Haven't changed the staff though. It's a bit of a fun thing, but the thing is that Summer knock-out competitions are very different beasts to leagues in which firstly things usually even out and secondly individual upsets don't lead to knockouts straight. Rarely does a definitely "best" side end as the winner of such tournaments, there are many matches that could have gone either way (even Spain were troubled in 2010 at least twice), and naturally these tournaments reflect most prominently in the World rankings.

There you go.

7gy5ZId.jpg

Z3VDo0N.jpg

"Chelsea Brazil" won the CL and "Fulham England" reached the finals of the Europa League, which were both simulated in full from the main stages onwards. As said and hinted at, it's flawed in many ways, not least because of the older data simply filtered by reputation and alocated to English clubs, plus the older match sim, but I'm not versed in editing. Doing it this way obviously results in completely ungelled squads, and much more. I mostly do simple experiments, more recently for instance trying to find out how Bayern Munich would do in the EPL (simulated twice, once they finished 6th, another time they finished champion). There's loads of stuff you could do if you are better at editing than me though. If somebody is better at editing than me and versed to do so with FM 2014, he could try to build a proper national team league on a current iteration, maybe even with the most recent call-ups, which would be interesting. Even though naturally, such a league has no base in reality, and there is virtually nothing to compare it to. :D

Save 1 2027. Leagues loaded. All divisions in the following.... Brazil, Argentina, England, Scotland, Belgium, Holland, Italy, Spain, France, Turkey, Russia, Portugal

ranking1_zps5858f1c7.jpg

Save2. 2032. Leagues loaded. All divisions in the following.... Brazil, Argentina, England, Scotland, Belgium, Holland, Italy, Spain, France, Turkey, Russia, Portugal

rankings2_zpsbc528a3a.jpg

Archived