Doing Well in Competitions

So your advice is basically get better noob.

All I was asking is if their are tips to doing better in competitions. I can win games. I have been promoted and am currently fighting for a playoff spot. However I don't perform well in competition matches. As far as I can tell that thread doesn't specifically talk about competitions.

Basically, yes, as harsh as that sounds :D

We got confused earlier, because everything is a competition. You mean Cups or Cup competitions.

The more defensively solid teams usually win these IRL, so don't be too gung-ho would be my advice.

We got confused earlier, because everything is a competition. You mean Cups or Cup competitions.

The more defensively solid teams usually win these IRL, so don't be too gung-ho would be my advice.

That's probably my problem then. I'll have to develop a more defensively solid tactic for competition games.

So your advice is basically get better noob.

All I was asking is if their are tips to doing better in competitions. I can win games. I have been promoted and am currently fighting for a playoff spot. However I don't perform well in competition matches. As far as I can tell that thread doesn't specifically talk about competitions.

So you are talking specifically about cup games?

This could depend on your level and who you are being drawn against - maybe you are just unlucky in the draw and getting teams from higher divisions, in which case it's always tough.

Yeah cup games.

Even when I get good draws I struggle. The one year I lost to Corby.

It's the same thing with the end of the year. My team seems to slump late season. I'm not sure if it's them cracking under the pressure or my tactics. When I do well everything flows smoothly. Near the end of the year my players can't score on one on ones and concede an early goal often. They go from world beaters to being unable to beat the teams headed for relegation.

I playing a high tempo attacking rigid 442.

See at the start of the season, do you choose the lowest available win bonus for cup competitions to get more of a wage/transfer budget? If so, that can affect your players mentality during cup games. A good tactic, and the right in-game decisions will always override this of course, but it helps if the players are motivated to start with.

Yeah cup games.

Even when I get good draws I struggle. The one year I lost to Corby.

It's the same thing with the end of the year. My team seems to slump late season. I'm not sure if it's them cracking under the pressure or my tactics. When I do well everything flows smoothly. Near the end of the year my players can't score on one on ones and concede an early goal often. They go from world beaters to being unable to beat the teams headed for relegation.

I playing a high tempo attacking rigid 442.

A bit hyperbolic, I think, but probably partly down to pressure.

If competitions means Cup games, (I think that's what you are on about), then what sort of Cup Competitions are they?

Is this Europe?

Is this a domestic Cup?

Are you a small team or a big team?

Should you be winning these games?

I have found that being a small team playing against significantly bigger teams then there is an advantage to be had because they seriously underestimate you. It's quite easy to spring a surprise. Contrastingly, I haven't really experienced this the other way around.

What I tend to do in my longer term saves is rotate players for Cup games, (because they are not important), and set up a counter tactic that is more conservative. Look to keep things tight, (especially against better teams), and just hit them on the break. If you lose the the drop in morale will only impact your rotated players, (who won't be playing the following week in the league), and additionally your Senior players will have had some much needed rest. I would also make sure that I put absolutely no pressure on the players during team-talks and really just think of it as experience for everyone concerned. Then, if you win, then it's a bit of a bonus. By doing this I seem to get better results, and then when you get to the business end of the competition you can maybe think about playing a stronger squad.

Is that the sort of thing you were looking for?

:confused:

The ones I'm in are the English FA Trophy and The FA Cup. I'm a smaller team. In the Skrill Premier.

I have gotten lucky against a bigger team once. I took out one of the Skybet 1 teams. However I struggle quite a bit against weaker teams at times and even lost to Corby 1-0 once. I don't think they are even in a playable league. I will also lose to team in the same division at me that is fighting relegation in a competition. Where as when I meet them in a league game it's usually a different story.

I guess I can work on a more Counter Tactic for competition games.

The reason I want to do well in them is that they bring in so much money. I get 3000-3500 for a regular home game. If I manage to get past the first round of a competition I can get 8000+ which is huge for me right now.

It's the same as in league competitions then or any other competition/match for that matter. Playing an attacking tactic (I assume Attacking mentality?) will mean that you're going to be open to the counter attack, if you're not careful. The smaller teams know they're up against it, so they drop deep and defend for their lives, hoping for a counter-attacking opportunity.

A drop in mentality is the minimum, yes, but just watch the match. You'll soon see if you're running into a wall at 100mph and having too few players back to defend against the counter.

• 2 weeks later...

My advice would be the opposite, well for international competitions. You have to go for it. Just ask any England fan how playing safe and taking anything has worked out for their team the past 10 years.

Depends...

Big Clubs:

Domestic cups - Use strong squad, approach game as per a league game. You should 90% of the time win against minnows and weak teams. Don't build up the pressure, let the players chillax for the game, especially vs weaker teams because they ALREADY know they should be winning. Just keep an eye out for over-confidence, that's when you may need to turn some screws, but I generally prefer not to because, a league game you can 'make it up' later if it goes wrong due to pressure. You can't in a cup game unless it's a double-legged game.

Europe - Strong squad, look to dominate and play freely at home. Your home is a fortress, bigger clubs shouldn't be coming to you attempting to dominate you in any shape or form if you're a big and exceptional club. If they do, you'll probably catch them with their pants down for an easy win. Away games are different, you want to grind out the point, take a win or a draw, sneak an own goal, don't let the victory be too big of a margin. Conservative counter attacking can work wonders. If the opposition over-commit, you'll win by 2 or 3. If they play tentatively, worried about the away goal, you've got one hand on the win provided your home is a fortress.

Small clubs:

Both formats: Counter-attack, keep them away from the box and defend in sheer numbers. Don't fall into the trap of defending in the box (a problem with a deep line), because once they score that's it, you'll be battling uphill from then on. You want to get the line right so they don't have space behind the defence but at the same time you don't end up sitting on the box. Counter attacking will be the way forward because, again, if they over-commit, you're home free, if they don't, you should be able to get something from the chances you create at some point. Set pieces are also a very good method of snagging the goal here as well. You can get a lengthy cup run against strong opposition. The only time you'll find it difficult will be against Championship and Premier level clubs, these guys have such quality and pace of ball recycling that you're going to need to be fired up across the entire squad to pull off the upset or maintain credibility.

Depends...

Big Clubs:

Domestic cups - Use strong squad, approach game as per a league game. You should 90% of the time win against minnows and weak teams. Don't build up the pressure, let the players chillax for the game, especially vs weaker teams because they ALREADY know they should be winning. Just keep an eye out for over-confidence, that's when you may need to turn some screws, but I generally prefer not to because, a league game you can 'make it up' later if it goes wrong due to pressure. You can't in a cup game unless it's a double-legged game.

Europe - Strong squad, look to dominate and play freely at home. Your home is a fortress, bigger clubs shouldn't be coming to you attempting to dominate you in any shape or form if you're a big and exceptional club. If they do, you'll probably catch them with their pants down for an easy win. Away games are different, you want to grind out the point, take a win or a draw, sneak an own goal, don't let the victory be too big of a margin. Conservative counter attacking can work wonders. If the opposition over-commit, you'll win by 2 or 3. If they play tentatively, worried about the away goal, you've got one hand on the win provided your home is a fortress.

Small clubs:

Both formats: Counter-attack, keep them away from the box and defend in sheer numbers. Don't fall into the trap of defending in the box (a problem with a deep line), because once they score that's it, you'll be battling uphill from then on. You want to get the line right so they don't have space behind the defence but at the same time you don't end up sitting on the box. Counter attacking will be the way forward because, again, if they over-commit, you're home free, if they don't, you should be able to get something from the chances you create at some point. Set pieces are also a very good method of snagging the goal here as well. You can get a lengthy cup run against strong opposition. The only time you'll find it difficult will be against Championship and Premier level clubs, these guys have such quality and pace of ball recycling that you're going to need to be fired up across the entire squad to pull off the upset or maintain credibility.

Excellent post. The strategies are what I do, as well.

Archived