Help with nürnberg

So with the villas boas 4-3-3 system, i eventually got sacked. Started a new game with 1.FC Nürnberg, because it's a traditional club and not plastic. After reading the 12 step guide, pairs and combinations guide and the Arsenal/Özil guide, i decided to go with 4-2-3-1 DEEP formation because it suits the players at the club.

And the players are extremely **** in decisions, first touch, passing. So villas boas style is simply not gonna suit them. Especially Robert Mak and Timo Gebhart. All important attributes such as decisions, creativity, anticipation all is below 10. But what players are included in the "team comparison" is it only First team or is there reserves and youth players also included ?

At the Pre-season friendly's we were playing with Balanced/Standard first and then decided to make Balanced-Counter the primary strategy. Because at Standard the players were sitting too high up the pitch. Also there was "Plan C" a control strategy only agaisnt the amateur teams.

Defensively the team was quite solid, Pre-season matches vs Lille 1-1, Espanyol 2-0, Bologna 1-0, Roma 2-0.

But there is one problem. Just like in the Arsenal thread where Özil is the key player, we have Hiroshi Kiyotake. A genuine World class player in the AMC slot. When he gets the ball, he is usually dangerous. BUT. The problem is he doesnt get the ball very much. I have given him Trequartista role, because i believe that is the best for him and for the system.

Also how to get Josip Drmic play like a proper "Cristiano Ronaldo" style inside forward. In Fm13 i had Ange-Freddy Plumain who was excellent with IF-attack instruction in similar tactic, cutting inside and scoring goals but here Drmic just crosses with his weaker foot.

The first XI is usually like this:

GK Raphael Schäfer GK/defend

DR Timothy Chandler FB/attack

DCr Per Nilsson DC/defend +shorter passing

DCl Emanuel Pogatetz DC/defend +shorter passing

DL Marvin Plattenhardt FB/support

DMCr Makoto Hasebe DM/defend +shorter passing

DMCl Markus Feulner DLP/support

AMR Timo Gebhart W/support

AMC Hiroshi Kiyotake T/attack

AML Josip Drmic IF/attack +cross less often, sit narrower, roam more

ST Daniel Ginczek DLF/attack

Didnt use very much shouts, in some matches where there was too much long shots "work ball to box" and when leading after 80 minutes "drop deeper" and "play narrower"

First, I believe (really unsure though) that team report includes all players in your first team squad.

As I picture your system at the moment, I believe one of the reasons why your AMC is not influencial is because he's not the primary creator nor the primary attacking threat. With a 4231 deep + counter/balanced, I would suspect that the main outlet is your DLP(s). Since most of your players in defense have 'pass shorter' and because of the nature of your system, your players will be looking to pass the ball to your DLP, who will then be looking to dictate the tempo or create something. That creation would often be in the form of a through ball to a winger, or a ball over the top to your striker.

Note that an exception to that could be your left back who could be looking to spread the ball straight to your AMC, but it's a very difficult action most of the time and requires very good passing, technique and possibly an at least reasonable right foot.

On to your IF. I don't know what you really mean by 'cristiano ronaldo role' (who is cristiano ronaldo? Lol), but I would suspect that he has to dribble more, shoot more often, get further forward. If you want him to cross less (ronaldo does cross a lot btw), I would also add fewer risky passes (since FM considers a cross to be a risky pass). You could of course keep 'roam' and perhaps 'sit narrower' too. With all those PIs, you will get an attacker who runs a lot and looks to get on the end of things. However, consider that he will be very isolated from your other players by the nature of your formation and duties, so you will need an extremely good player to play there. Also, something a bit overlooked: is your DLP right or left footed? Because if he is right footed, he will naturally look to supply to his right (though not exclusively) and your IF is likely to see less of the ball.

Some quick suggestions on the top of my mind :

-consider learning kiyotake the ppm 'comes deep to get ball' he will come closer to get the ball at his feet and create/dribble.

-consider pushing higher up either by changing your mentality or using the shout. Your team will win the ball back higher and your AMC will be a closer outlet.

-try and make your DLP another role. In your formation I would suggest a BWM(s). Play will be less focused on him in attack, and he might be a very valuable defensive asset. I would also consider using 'play out of defence' instead of giving every defender the pass shorter PI.

-instead, give your wingers the 'pass shorter' PI. They will look to hold up the ball a little more and will certainly supply your AMC more.

Alll in all, I have always struggled to have AMCs have as much of an impact as I would like, in all versions of FM I've played (I've only been playing since 2011 though). This is due, IMO, to the fact that most opponents play pretty conservatively and force your team to play wide in the final third. However, it has to be said that I don't personally enjoy AMCs very much (IRL or in FM), and I don't use many tactics with a player in that position. I hope this advice can be helpful enough though.

Firstly I would give the striker a more advanced role. Where do you want your trequartista to receive the ball? Where is a DLF going to move? Who is going to follow him? Probably not a good plan as you see.

You could also try to create more space between the lines by dropping your defensive line deeper and playing with a more rigid philosophy.

All your defensive players are playing short passes, is your trequartista close enough to receive one of those passes and how else is he going to get the ball?

If you want your inside forward to cut inside maybe you need to first give him space to do that by allowing him to start out wide instead of coming inside. If he starts more central it is probably easier for the defender to close him down before he can start a dribble. A more central position can put him in a better position to finish a through ball. Sadly your trequartista isn't seeing much of the ball so that could explain why he is ineffective at the moment.

Push higher up is not an option because the defenders are too slow. Probably drop deeper. And deep lying playmaker feulner is Right footed. The dlp player i have used because i dont want to see a single long ball, so when there is Dlp the central defenders can pass the ball to him.

I tried to play the inside forward with "stay wider" but he was still crossing like a Winger.

"Shorter passing" to wingers sounds good, maybe i try that. We shall see

So the season started with 1-1 draw frankfurt away. Kiyotake played "Özil" style through ball to gebhart who finished the move despite his **** attributes. Kiyotake played same kind of ball again but this time Gebhart didnt score.

But then frankfurt equalized in the 2.half. The defending was horrible, it was like argentina in world cup. 4 players high up the pitch and all others deep. And then pogatetz makes stupid mistake and pushes up from line -> through ball and frankfurt scores. How to get centre backs staying deep, if you cant play "Cover-Cover" combination.

First i tried some changes that you suggested, with Feulner injured Hanno Balitsch stepped up and was Ball winning midfielder instead of deep lying playmaker. Then there was "Play out of defence" instead of the individual short pass shouts. But it was ****ing horrible, they were hoofing the ball out of bounds. So i switched it back to the individual instructions and it worked well.

"More Short passing" to wingers also didnt work. They passed it straight to the opponents so i switched it off. Josip Drmic passing 60% tells the whole story.

Kiyotake was Man of the match, 7.6 rating. But passing only 74.7%

Daniel Ginczek was Poacher instead of deep lying forward. But he played like Higuain in napoli. Dropped deep and thought he was riquelme or something. Maybe i should put "hold position" to him. And he has only ppm's "tries first time shots" and "shoots with power".

Also changed philosophy from balanced to Rigid, after a few minutes when nürnberg was dominating and got a clear cut chance which my keeper Schäfer robbed. That worked quite well, after full time chances 9-10 to Nürnberg and clear cut chances 2-2. Although some guide suggested that you cant play rigid with 4-2-3-1.

Second match wolfsburg at home. Didnt have the time to watch at full match but still 4-2 victory, 5 clear cut chances. Daniel Ginczek dominated with 2 goals and 2 assists. Josip Drmic scored a goal and got a penalty kick. Also kiyotake got himself on the scoresheet but this was clearly Ginczek/Drmic show.

So the season started with 1-1 draw frankfurt away. Kiyotake played "Özil" style through ball to gebhart who finished the move despite his **** attributes. Kiyotake played same kind of ball again but this time Gebhart didnt score.

But then frankfurt equalized in the 2.half. The defending was horrible, it was like argentina in world cup. 4 players high up the pitch and all others deep. And then pogatetz makes stupid mistake and pushes up from line -> through ball and frankfurt scores. How to get centre backs staying deep, if you cant play "Cover-Cover" combination.

First i tried some changes that you suggested, with Feulner injured Hanno Balitsch stepped up and was Ball winning midfielder instead of deep lying playmaker. Then there was "Play out of defence" instead of the individual short pass shouts. But it was ****ing horrible, they were hoofing the ball out of bounds. So i switched it back to the individual instructions and it worked well.

"More Short passing" to wingers also didnt work. They passed it straight to the opponents so i switched it off. Josip Drmic passing 60% tells the whole story.

Kiyotake was Man of the match, 7.6 rating. But passing only 74.7%

Daniel Ginczek was Poacher instead of deep lying forward. But he played like Higuain in napoli. Dropped deep and thought he was riquelme or something. Maybe i should put "hold position" to him. And he has only ppm's "tries first time shots" and "shoots with power".

Also changed philosophy from balanced to Rigid, after a few minutes when nürnberg was dominating and got a clear cut chance which my keeper Schäfer robbed. That worked quite well, after full time chances 9-10 to Nürnberg and clear cut chances 2-2. Although some guide suggested that you cant play rigid with 4-2-3-1.

Second match wolfsburg at home. Didnt have the time to watch at full match but still 4-2 victory, 5 clear cut chances. Daniel Ginczek dominated with 2 goals and 2 assists. Josip Drmic scored a goal and got a penalty kick. Also kiyotake got himself on the scoresheet but this was clearly Ginczek/Drmic show.

First piece of advice, don't stick blindly to what the guides tell you. They are guides, not hard-fast rules. Do it your way, you'll have much more fun too! That's not to say you can't ask advice in places like here in order to get help fine-tuning your tactics, but IMO the best tactics are most often the simpler ones, not built from knowledge given by a guide. As you saw, you made some changes that seemed to work when the guides were telling you not to. Don't be afraid!

Second thing, give yourself and your players some time. In FM just as IRL, implementing a tactical system takes time. Familiarity DOES play a role in your players' performance and don't expect to get consistent great results if you chop and change after every game. I would first set a mentality and philosophy that reflect how you want to play, and go from there. To me, at the moment, it seems like you want to do everything at the same time, being aggressive but cautious, attacking but defensive, press high but stay low. Make decisions (and maybe create 2 different tactics) on how you want to play and apply them uncompromisingly, then let your players time to adjust to the new playing style.

Third thing. You say '4 players high up the pitch, all others deep, defending is horrible'. Well, that is the formation you chose. In Football Manager, AMLs and AMRs do not track back and defend (well, in certain circumstances they will come back to help, but usually they don't). And you chose to use a Trequartista, a role which is required not to defend in order to be effective. If you want to get more defensive support, I would suggest dropping your wide players (or at least one of them) in the ML/MR positions. A misunderstood concept by many FM players is that most teams who play a 4231 IRL would be interpreted in FM as a 4411, since the wide players are required to defend as well as attack. That is why Jose Mourinho had some complaints recently about Eden Hazard's defensive frailties. If he played him as an AML, he wouldn't give a sh*t about his defensive ability since he wouldn't ask him to defend at all. But the truth is, Chelsea's Eden Hazard (or to some extent, RM's Cristiano Ronaldo) would be interpreted as an ML -- WM(A) with the PIs Dribble More, Cut Inside, Cross Less Often (Maybe Shoot More Often and Get Further Forward too). You get the point.

Sorry about the advice on Play Out of Defence, I don't know what went through my mind at that point, it can be a terrible instruction especially if you have defenders who are not very good and cool on the ball, and perhaps opponents who press a lot.

Keep us posted on how your tactic turns out!

To me, at the moment, it seems like you want to do everything at the same time, being aggressive but cautious, attacking but defensive, press high but stay low.

Thats EXACTLY What i want to do. Total domination. Trapattoni defence, bielsa pressing, guardiola possession, mourinho/klopp counter attacking.

3.game of the season 1999 h*ppenheim away. 2-1 defeat. Shots 18-18, clear cut chances 3-5 to nürnberg. Both goals were stupid mistakes by the Nürnberg defensive line. Kiyotake 5 key passes, Drmic 4. Gebhart 5/5 shots, Ginczek 7/4. And kiyotake smashed a free kick straight to the woodwork at injury time. Also the plastic club's goalkeeper was in a "buffon" mode. But still its really disappointing to lose against the most disgusting plastic "club" in the history of Football. Or maybe red ******** clubs get that honor. But i guess with better tactical familiarity this would have been a victory for us.

Next Schalke at home. A very interesting match, because the better side lost. Final score 4-1 to Nürnberg. Shots 6-16 to Schalke, clear cut chances 3-3. After first half it was 4-0, second half Schalke went all-in and nürnberg played like iran in the world cup.

2 week international break is over and next match against braunschweig away. Their game plan was to injure kiyotake and of course they succeeded, after 2 minutes of play he got injured. **** game, if this was real life this would have been suspected to be one of them Wilson Raj Perumal match fixes. So many ******** decisions from both sides. Shots 8-18 and clear cut chances 0-5 to nürnberg .

YEAH RIGHt. KIYOTAKE OUT 4 ****ING MONTHS. Just great

Three home matches, three victories. And in each match 4 goals scored by Nürnberg. Now it was werder bremen's turn to lose at the Frankenstadion. 4-1 scoreline looks good, but it wasnt that good performance. Bremen scored 2 own goals. And Markus Feulner replaced Kiyotake. He is only competent at amc but he has better mental attributes than gebhart, who is typical british style "Aaron Lennon" winger. Trequartista role didnt suit him, but when i switched him to Attacking Midfielder Support, he started to control the match. This wasnt a great tactical victory but TEAM TALK worked wonders. 1-1 half time, 4-1 full time.

Thats EXACTLY What i want to do. Total domination. Trapattoni defence, bielsa pressing, guardiola possession, mourinho/klopp counter attacking.

3.game of the season 1999 h*ppenheim away. 2-1 defeat. Shots 18-18, clear cut chances 3-5 to nürnberg. Both goals were stupid mistakes by the Nürnberg defensive line. Kiyotake 5 key passes, Drmic 4. Gebhart 5/5 shots, Ginczek 7/4. And kiyotake smashed a free kick straight to the woodwork at injury time. Also the plastic club's goalkeeper was in a "buffon" mode. But still its really disappointing to lose against the most disgusting plastic "club" in the history of Football. Or maybe red ******** clubs get that honor. But i guess with better tactical familiarity this would have been a victory for us.

And what would you call that? The "egg-style" pressing possessive counterattacking tight style? Also, not to insult you but have you ever wondered why those guys you named are considered great managers? Mostly because they have a plan, a vision, and they are patient in implementing their own tactical system in which they believe. It seems obvious that you don't currently have those qualities, from reading your posts. We definitely want to help you achieve your goals, but please be patient and understand that you are not going to win every game. As you saw from the current World Cup, even the teams that were considered unbeatable because they had the best players and extremely bossing tactics, they got beaten. Hard. A manager's tactic is mainly the way he wants his boys to play, it is a style. And all styles have their strengths and weaknesses, just like all players do. So decide on what you want to do. If you want to have 75-80% of possession a la Guardiola, you will need to play short passes away from the opposition defence and be patient on the ball. If you want to counterattack like Klopp or Mourinho, you're gonna need to run at the defence and play more long passes from deeper positions, straight into the opposition's defence and beyond. As you see, you can not do both at the same time. Also understand that you are NOT managing any of the clubs managed by the big names you mentioned.

Also, if you want to be a great manager, why don't you do what great managers do? Like, you know, watch the games, see what happens, figure out why it happens, adjust accordingly?

Yes, the game can be frustrating at times. But if you learn to control your emotions while playing it and try to be more objective about what you see (wait, that's another great attribute from the great football managers!!), you'll find that the game (as well as, I gotta say, the help from guys like me) is much more enjoyable. And if you don't want to watch the games and expect immediate results, you're probably better off playing FMC and maybe even FMH, which are also very enjoyable but much less time-consuming.

And yeah, no need to swear, it doesn't help. Write those words on that yellow sticky you have at home, it'll make you feel better, and us feel better about you.

Even guardiola's barcelona counter attacked and mourinho's real madrid played possession ball against weak teams. I want my team to be able to play different styles of football and not just one, like Vahid Halilhodzic's Algeria in this world cup or, Guus Hiddink's Australia 2006. They didnt have same qualities than top teams, still algeria almost beat germany and australia lost to the champions Italy by controversial penalty.

And in this save im watching games full match and trying to adjust, only game which i didnt watch full was the wolfsburg game i mentioned. The only shout i use in beginning is "Stay on feet" and depending on situation i add more shouts.

Thanks for clarifying. Of course, you're right, those managers and their teams had different styles of play, they didn't always play the same way. But that is exactly why you have the possibility to prepare 3 tactics at the same time in FM. To be able to adjust according to the opposition. That's what those guys did. And that's what Halilhodzic and all other World Cup managers have done too (some would argue Roy Hodgson has never prepared anything, but that's another topic). You might have thought that, for example, 2014's Algeria played the same way all the time, but they just had very similar tactical setups which all basically involved playing a very direct/route one style of soccer. That enabled the team - which wasn't built with international superstars, let's face it - to focus on training only one passing style, but one that really suited them. I think this contributed to their outstanding performance.

Continue watching whole matches. At some point you will start having a feel on why some things aren't working out as you want them and you might have a better idea of what changes to make. I'm also a fan of keeping things simple and not 'over-shouting', so I'm guessing your usual approach might be very good if you make the right changes during a game.

Yeah right. When im trying to park the bus they still win 3-0. Rather get beaten 3-0 and try to play than with bus.

Also for some reason the central defenders pass short passes to own team when they have "More Direct Passes".

Im tired of the defensive park the bus hoofball. From now on, its POSSESSION FOOTBALL. The only type of football that deserves to be called football. The players attributes are not good i know. But they are still professional footballers in Bundesliga and not some 9.division amateurs.

And first example Leverkusen away. 0-0 after first half, added some possession shouts.

Retain possession, shorter passing, pass to space, work ball to box.

1-0 win with 55% possession. Finishing was disappointing but Markus Feulner scored from free kick like he was Stoichkov. Average rating 7.07.

Finallly we got a game plan.

4-2-3-1 DEEP, sometimes normal.

Because of the squad and no transfer money.

Very rigid counter.

I want them to be a TEAM. Not bunch of individuals. Counter because everyone say that attacking and control are TOO attacking.

Retain possession, play narrower, stay on feet, be more disciplined.

I hate hoofball, thats why retain possession. Play narrower, to get them closer to each other to play them short passes. No need to concede stupid penalties, thats why stay on feet. More disciplined, so they obey their master.

And now after the winter break Nürnberg is in 9.place of bundesliga. Also Hiroshi Kiyotake is now back in business and was dominant in the new system in the friendly matches.

Depends on your view, but I see very rigid as being the closest to a bunch of individuals. And if you are on counter with very rigid you certainly don't need be more disciplined. They are already extremely disciplined. Anyways, if it works fine for you then great!!

At least we won against Schalke away. And Advanced playmaker support with instruction "Roam from position" works better than trequartista. Because trequartista was making forward runs all the time.

Depends on your view, but I see very rigid as being the closest to a bunch of individuals. And if you are on counter with very rigid you certainly don't need be more disciplined. They are already extremely disciplined. Anyways, if it works fine for you then great!!

A worthwhile point.

Egg - what are you currently doing now tactically? Sounds like you have completely changed approach, and if you wish for advice, then you need to keep us updated of the changes.

Tactically its same as Post #19.

Also Drill crosses when Daniel Ginczek is at striker. When Tomas Pekhart plays, then its normal crosses.

GK Schäfer/Stephan GK/d +distribute to the defenders

DR Chandler FB/s +stay wider, run wide with ball

DCr Nilsson CD/d +direct passes

DCr Pogatetz/Kempf/Petrak CD/d +direct passes

DL Plattenhardt FB/a +stay wider, run wide with ball

DMCr Hasebe BWM/s

DMCl Stark DM/d + mark tighter, short passes

AMR Gebhart W/a

AMC Kiyotake AP/s + roam

AML Drmic IF/a

ST Ginczek CF/s

Now when Dlp player Feulner is injured, Hasebe has replaced him with BWM/support. ANd Plattenhardt is better offensively than chandler so he is Attacking full back and chandler support. Also "German Busquets" with 4.5 potential ability, 18-year-old Niklas Stark is so promising player that he must play, and is in defend role at left DMC because the left back is on attack.

And i always thought "Balanced" was about individual roles and "Very rigid" was about keeping shape as a team.

If you want to play a traditional counter attacking style then retain possession is kind of the opposite route to go down. I would also be interested to know if your APs, CFs & IFa get in each other's way much?

Traditional counter attacking, you mean park the bus and then fast attacks. Thats not what i want. I want to recycle the ball and be defensively solid, but when there is chance i want to attack fast.

Must watch a couple of matches to see if they are in each others way. So far i havent noticed anything special about them

So your telling your team to play narrower to prevent hoof ball, but have your FBs to play wider? Does that present any problems? For instance the opponents RW/LW intercepting passes from your CBs to FBs.

You want to play possession football but have the CBs with direct passes? I'd remove this and let the DM have more passing freedom. Can Stark play DLP(d)? If so, he could have more license with his passing. With both wide men on attacking roles his options might be limited.

Does Kiyotake drop and link up well with the two DMs/ or DMs advance enough to link up with the attackers?

Is possession football wise against the top Bundesliga clubs? Many of the Nürnberg players are very limited in that area.

All that aside you seem to be doing well so far. 9th is impressive for a side that went down IRL, and would have sooner if not for Drmic's exploits in the Rückrunde.

Thats not impressive. Cleon would have 34-0-0 record with nürnberg first season.

I want them fullbacks to add some width, thats why those instructions. Another reason is that for example Chandler had tendency to hoof ball to row Z every time he got the ball. Now when "run with ball", he tries to pass instead.

As i mentioned in post #16 I had dc players with short passing. They didnt pass the ball they hoofed it. I know it sounds weird but, with direct passing its completely different. They play short passes to own players, usually DMC's and sometimes goalkeeper.

im not that sure if stark can play DLP. Creativity 8 off the ball 9 decisions 11. Should i take the "Pass Shorter" instruction off ? I want him to be defensive because Plattenhardt bombs forward from left back to support inside forward drmic.

With Advanced playmaker support, kiyotake plays like midfielder and not striker. He indeed links well with hasebe who is usually BWM/support.

I tried to park the bus against bayern away and dortmund away. Against Bayern 0-2, shots 25-3 to bayern. against Dortmund 0-3, shots 23-4 Dortmund. I dont want to lose that way. Against Wolfsburg away, who is 3.place at the moment and has some quality players, we lost 0-3 too. But we created chances and shots were only 14-12 to them, also Ginczek's finishing was like Higuain in the world cup final.

Yes drmic was great in real life but in the long run i see him more as a cristiano ronaldo style inside forward than a striker.

1-0 win against Braunschweig home. Yes it was only 1-0 and yes it was against braunschweig. But still good performance. Shots 19-3 to Nürnberg. Experimented with Kiyotake role, got some good movement with AP/Attack + More roaming. Might try this in future. But what is concerning is that kiyotake's condition was 67% and all others was 77% or better. No injuries, stamina is 12, not that bad.

Best moment of the season. Overrated and expensive backups backup player Adam Hlousek went back to czech with 1 million. Also got "Beating Expectations" achievement dont know what that means though.

Nürnberg made some free transfer signings too. Right-back Stefano Celozzi and Goalkeeper Fabian Giefer are incoming. That means nürnberg icon Raphael Schäfer is leaving. Because his wage demands is far too high. I also hope that i can sell Timothy Chandler during the summer window. he seems like a good player but, Anticipation 10. Composure 8. Creativity 9. Positioning 10. And wages: 38k per week.

Werder bremen away. 81 minutes played. 0-0. Bremen get a corner. And there it comes. Franco di santo heads it in.

But.

Tactical switch, overload more risks and so on. Tomas Pekhart equalises in 85.minute.

And then. Bremen attacks in all-in mode. Slow centre-backs stand in the halfway line. Timo Gebhart makes a interception. Plays the ball to Kiyotake in the halfway line. He plays to Drmic who spots Pekhart's forward run and plays a PERFECT through ball. Pekhart is through on goal - AND SCORES. 2-1 Nürnberg.

I LOVE THIS GAME.

Thats not impressive. Cleon would have 34-0-0 record with nürnberg first season.

Haha. Perhaps you're wanting too much, too early on. By the sounds of it you are doing really well and only need a few tweaks to your tactic. This will come in time, imo, as you notice things by watching the game and then correcting them. Now you know how you want to play it means you can find players to suit that system. There's no fun winning every game in your first season, because where do you go from there ;)

As per Kiyotake, he's a slight guy so could have merely taken a few knocks but not injuries. This would have lowered his condition during the game. I'm a big fan of the AP(a) in the CAM role as I got mine working really well, but you need movement from the striker.

Probably worth selling Chandler then and finding someone who would suit your passing system more, and play for cheaper wages.

Stefano Celozzi is the replacement for Chandler, 24k per week, quite similar attributes, and he also dont play international matches other side of the planet.

Fourth win in a row, now against Hertha BSC away. Again we dominated possession and created chances, but then in 66.minute this happened once again

Another straight red card for pogatetz in this season. Couple of minutes after that, hertha scored offside goal.

But then. 84 minutes played. 4-4-1 with defensive wingers and defensive forward. Chandler's long flat bullet throw finds Makoto Hasebe in the box. He shoots into the traffic and some hertha player puts it in his own net. 2-1 Nürnberg. A deserved victory.

And after this one nürnberg moves up to 6.place. Europe here we come

Here we go again. New youth intake with two 4.5 potential players. Semi good.

And then bayern at home. Boateng scores from header, then gebhart equalises but 85.minute toni kroos wins the match for bayern.

But what is impressive.

Nürnberg kept 58% possession. AGAINST PEP GUARDIOLA BAYERN. Great effort despite the scoreline.

After 4-2 victory at augsburg, Nürnberg is sitting in 5.place of the bundesliga. Champions league places are too far away. But Europa league qualification is a real possibility.

if you want to play a traditional counter attacking style then retain possession is kind of the opposite route to go down.
is possession football wise against the top bundesliga clubs? Many of the nürnberg players are very limited in that area.

nÜrnberg. Qualify. For. Europa league.

Final match of the season mönchengladbach away. 2-1 victory.

That means its 5.place in final standings. And next season EUROPA LEAGUE GROUP STAGE. Who would have thought that.

And we didnt get to the group stage. Because Augsburg won the cup.

Timothy Chandler and Hiroshi Kiyotake left Nürnberg. Chandler went to Monaco, Kiyotake to Sevilla.

In addition to Giefer and Celozzi, Alexander Meier comes from Frankfurt to play Amc. Also two young Austrian amc players Louis Schaub and Thomas Murg joined nürnberg.

But the best signing is Dominique Heintz from Kaiserslautern. 20 years, 4.5* potential. Big and strong Central defender who can pass the ball.

Yeah right. Hiroshi Kiyotake wage demands from nürnberg - 70k per week. What he gets in sevilla - 27.5k.

And what is the best way to approach Pre-season training. I usually put very high fitness, but some say team cohesion is better.

After reading the jpcote dortmund/bayern topic i decided to make some changes.

Retain Possession -> Shorter Passing.

Be more disciplined OFF.

DR+DL "Stay wider" shout OFF.

And. Complete forward support -> Defensive forward support. First match with this change 2 minutes played 2 goals scored.

Yes this is tactics training forum but still. How to get them players to RESPECT THE BOSS. Now Daniel Ginczek and Josip Drmic both are unhappy and want to be transfer listed because i rejected some laughable transfer bids.

Josip Drmic went to Leverkusen with 10 million. Semi good player but cant refuse that kind of money.

First bundesliga match of the season. Stuttgart away. 2-0 defeat. Total domination for Stuttgart.

Somehow i dont get Shorter Passing to work. With retain possession its totally different. Probably its the lower tempo.

Yes this is tactics training forum but still. How to get them players to RESPECT THE BOSS. Now Daniel Ginczek and Josip Drmic both are unhappy and want to be transfer listed because i rejected some laughable transfer bids.

Be more assertive with offering new contracts to people. If you want to keep them make sure you have a reason (important player, hot prospect) and that it's reflected in their contract. If they do want a move explain them they can achieve their ambition with the current squad and make them a promise (getting EU football, winning the league, whatever). That said if a big club comes looking for your players sometimes there is no other option but to sell. Just be prepared (there is always a better deal around the corner to fill the position you just sold) and get the best deal possible.

Anyone know how to get inside forwards work properly. Like Guardiola's Barcelona 2009-2010 - Ibrahimovic ST, Messi AMR, Pedro AML. I know im playing too narrow according to all the guides. But i tried to play with "normal" width against stuttgart and it just did not work defensively.

Europa League Group Stage here we come. Tottenham, Genoa, Köbenhavn. Quite difficult group to be honest. But Stefan Strandberg, Piotr Trochowski and Benedikt Saller join the ranks. Now we have some good rotation options too.

Augsburg away. Removed the shout "Play Narrower". Semi good performance with 1-0 victory.

I played for Norimberg with system 4-4-2 and 4-2-2-2. Ginczek. He scored 36 goals in all matches I think. He was best striker in league. I finished on third place and I was in finale of German cup in first season.

What the ****.

36 goals. 3.place FIRST SEASON. What was your system? Pekhart or Drmic the other striker? Any signings?

I signed Pavel Kaderabek, Nicolaj Thomsen from and Erik Sviatchenko. Pekhart, Drmic or Stepinski alternated as second striker. I have brilliant wingers. Gebhart, Hlousek, Mak and other.

Archived