Torn hamstrings. Way too many.

Firstly I'm not basing this on very little noted data and I know most of the replies will be along the lines of "Not sufficient data to say this is an issue."

I'm basing this on having played 57 full seasons of fm2014 and simply an ability to spot trends and patterns. In my latest save I have collated the data, but this save is only 5 seasons old.

I've averaged 7 torn hamstrings each season and also feel that in all the other 52 seasons I've played, that is probably not far off the average amount. There just seems way too many to me, and it's not a small injury, 3 to 4 months and in most cases the players receiving them seem to become susceptible to the same injury again. I've had amazing prospects, established squad players and star players be completely destroyed because of this.

I don't know if anyone else has spotted a trend re torn hamstrings, but I think I've played enough full seasons to safely say it's not just bad luck. I only ever have my players on average intensity, I've read every guide going on best way to do pre season training etc, training in general. match training. Still they come, and it's been the same for me in every update.

I'm yet to have more than 5 hamstring injuries in a save, haven't suffered any in the current one. Saying that, my overall rate of injury is incredibly low. Hamstring injuries do have a good chance of re-occurrence in the player though, that's the kind of injury it is.

I've had a few pulled hamstrings across my many saves on this one, but I can't recall a single torn one I've had. I tend not to have a lot of injuries anyway, as I rotate the squad often, and try and sub any player who falls below 65% in game. Very rarely do I have more than 2/3 injuries at any one time. In my current Bath save, my 24-strong squad are all healthy.

If the injury was something that's out of your control, like a broken foot etc, I could understand you questioning it. The fact that it's a hamstring problem would suggest, to me, that you're under/over training them and they're paying for it. I'd take a guess and say if it's happening in a match, you're under-training them and if it's happening in training, you're over-training them.

Dave, usually I manage in a top league and always rotate players / sub anyone under 60-65% and it still happens. Admittedly in this save, playing as a lower league manager I've not been able to do that for squad reasons and also because no matter what I do, after I make a sub I invariably always concede.

So maybe that can account for this particularly save, but not for the others. If it hadn't become so apparent to me in my other saves, I never would've collated the data when I started this new save. It must be something in my training. But I've followed ( think it was cleons training thread, correct me if I'm wrong ) and implemented nearly everything he suggests.

But for it to become so evident to me in 52 other seasons across 3 different saves, it HAS to be something I'm doing wrong.

After the season starts properly ie league matches and not friendlies I just leave my general training on balanced with average intensity and my match training at 30% varying what match training I choose depending on the opposition. Not quite sure what else I can/should be doing.

Could be anything though. Could be my fitness coaches or having poor physios etc. So many variables it is very difficult to pin it down to any one thing.

Sorry HUNT3R I forgot to add, it really is random when it happens, but if I was pushed I'd say about 60% comes from training and 40% from injuries in matches. More of them seem to come from the regular training I've outlined above, but not enough to definitively say that's what it causing it.

One other thing I should add, I always have my players doing individual training, usually what my coaches suggest, but if I'm training a new position or PPM I never let any of them have higher than average intensity.

After the season starts properly ie league matches and not friendlies I just leave my general training on balanced with average intensity and my match training at 30% varying what match training I choose depending on the opposition. Not quite sure what else I can/should be doing.

Are you setting up any individual training? If so, at what intensity?

Someone is free to correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the way the injury model works at fault for this.

Here's how I understand it working:

1) FM decides that a player is injured

2) Length and severity of injury is determined

3) FM then chooses an injury from it's list that fit the criteria in 2

Therefore, I've always believed that the 'name' of the injury is irrelevant and all you can do with having a good training regime, fitness coaches and physios is control the number and severity of injuries rather than the specific types.

In the OP's case the 'injury randomiser' just seems particularly keen on torn hamstrings when it needs to find a 3-4 month injury (or whatever length it is).

In the OP's case the 'injury randomiser' just seems particularly keen on torn hamstrings when it needs to find a 3-4 month injury (or whatever length it is).

That's exactly how it "feels" edgar. Thx.

Someone is free to correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the way the injury model works at fault for this.

This is how I understand it, which would be why you are never told of what the knock is in game.

HUNT3R I've edited the above post to include my individual training.

So Average team training and Average individual training combined with 30% Match Prep training. I'm happy to be told I'm wrong, but that seems a little low.

Right now I have Average team training, but Heavy individual training with 20% match prep training and at any one time I have 2 or 3 players out, with a mix of injuries and a roughly even split between match and training injuries.

What's your Overall Workload rating? You can see that on the Training->Team screen at the bottom right.

Therefore, I've always believed that the 'name' of the injury is irrelevant and all you can do with having a good training regime, fitness coaches and physios is control the number and severity of injuries rather than the specific types.

This is how I understand it, which would be why you are never told of what the knock is in game.

I know that was the case in earlier FMs. It might still be the case, but maybe a little more refined?

If a player picks up a knock in-game, you can check his profile. It might say something like "Possible knee injury" and the specifics would only come out after the game. So it's possible that the injuries are chosen from a list, but I think it is narrowed down somewhat.

I know that was the case in earlier FMs. It might still be the case, but maybe a little more refined?

If a player picks up a knock in-game, you can check his profile. It might say something like "Possible knee injury" and the specifics would only come out after the game. So it's possible that the injuries are chosen from a list, but I think it is narrowed down somewhat.

You've always been able to check on that in game - I say always I mean for the last 4-5 editions anyway. I guess the point is, and I think it's still the case, that it doesn't matter what the injury is called, you can't control specific injury types. For all intents and purposes, they might as well be called 'injury1' 'injury2' etc. due to the way the injury model works. Therefore the OP shouldn't get obsessed over the type of injury. What he can try and control is how many he gets.

I guess the point is, and I think it's still the case, that it doesn't matter what the injury is called, you can't control specific injury types. For all intents and purposes, they might as well be called 'injury1' 'injury2' etc. due to the way the injury model works.

Muscle related injuries should be separate from other injuries like fractures. Do you know for a fact that it isn't? So a fractured ankle could have been a torn harmstring and there's no difference in how the player picked up the injury?

Muscle related injuries should be separate from other injuries like fractures. Do you know for a fact that it isn't? So a fractured ankle could have been a torn harmstring and there's no difference in how the player picked up the injury?

There should be a distinction but I'm sure there isn't. I've seen players suffer a bad tackle, me expecting them to have suffered a break or fracture only for something like a hamstring to be diagnosed.

I don't know any of this for a fact. It's based on years of playing the game and bits and pieces picked up from posts and also the editor work done on 'adding' injuries to the list. Obviously it'd be great if SI could confirm it, but you know they like to keep things secret, they're worse than the North Koreans at times.

Ademac, are you getting a lot of injuries a season? Too many in general or is it just a case of too many torn hamstrings? If your overall injury rates are acceptable, I wouldn't change anything.

From what I've always understood is more or less what edgar posted further up except:

Injuries are separated into "Impact" & "Non-Impact", FM calculates an injury has ocurred and from which list it should pick from then its a weighted random with less serious injuries having a higher % chance of being picked.

I am in 2032 with my save. I had a horrendous spate of injuries 1 particular season, (about 7/8 seasons in), and 2 other seasons where I had more injuries than I liked. Other than that, I have hardly noticed injuries.

As far as the NT goes, in only 1 qualifying campaign have we really struggled with injuries. I'm just not seeing this at all.

Your training seems fine to me (apart from the distribution of intensities that do not favor focusing- but that's a different matter).

Have you noticed:

a) whether you invariably get more injuries during weeks with 3 matches?

b) whether you have particularly injury prone players? Do you pay attention to this at all? If you have a good physio, he is going to mention it on the individual training screen if he thinks the player is injury prone.

Also, 60% condition seems too low to me, I sub them out at 70-67% minimum. Do they actually follow instructions below that? Anyway, since I sub them out earlier, I don't actually know how much of a difference that makes with injuries.

I don't really suffer a huge amount of injuries, and never really had any horrendous injury lists. Just when I do get a "serious" injury, it always seems to be the torn hamstring.

Can't say I've noticed an increase in weeks when I play 3 games, but to be fair I've never really looked too closely at that. As for paying attention to what the physio says, I'm constantly checking the players training screen and also the Club > Players > Extended leaves physio recommendations for signs of jadedness. If I get the injury prone message, I usually try and offload the player as soon as I first see that message, and I always use the physion recommendations for extended leaves.

Archived