MJ 4-3-3 (From Standard to Real Madrid in 3 seasons)

The Background:

After downloading tactics for FM in the past couple of years, I slowly lost the enjoyment of the game and hadn't played it for a couple of months. Having been a pretty decent and serious footballer up until the age of 18-19, and being a massive fan of the sport in general, I realized that I had to create a tactic in my own image to be able to enjoy FM again.

For the first time, I actually bothered to read the specifics regarding the various player roles in the tactical creator, and set about creating a tactic in line with my experiences as both a player and spectator of the game. Bear in mind, I have absolutely no coaching qualifications, and neither do I spend my days reading football hipster blogs about the latest tactical innovations of the game.

What I do know, however, is that football really isn't that complicated a game. Having read a bit about the philosophies of great coaches I admire, like Brian Clough, Sir Alex Ferguson and Nils Arne Eggen from my native Norway, I set about creating my own version of a stylish, effective, high pressing and attacking football side. A hybrid of the three great men, if you like.

And after testing it for three seasons in the Belgian league with Standard, the "less is more" approach seems to have worked a treat! Three straight league wins, two Belgian cups, one Belgian Super cup and two great runs in the Champions League (quarter finals second season, semi finals in the third) later, I am now the manager of Real Madrid.

The Tactics:

MJ 4-3-3 Attacking: Use for home games (against any opposition, apart from world class sides), and away games (against weaker and/or equal to slightly better opposition)

MJ 4-3-3 Control: Use for home games (against world class/far better opposition/in European competitions), and away games (against better and/or world class sides, home and away)

DOWNLOAD HERE (Thanks to taylorsmen for uploading them separately)

http://www67.zippyshare.com/v/79132927/file.html

http://www30.zippyshare.com/v/72101441/file.html

The two tactics are very similar, but there a few notable tweaks in the team instructions of the Control version which makes it slightly more cautious and suited to the bigger occasions such as European football or title deciders.

The player instructions remain the same in both tactics, however, and as you can probably see for yourself, the aim is to always keep it simple and attack-minded.

I never use opposition instructions, by the way. This tactic is all about playing your own game.

SCREENSHOT

Match preparations and training:

After the team cohesion/familiarity is at a sufficient level (thanks to a focus on tactics only) a few weeks into the season, I normally change the match preparations between attacking movement, attacking set pieces or defensive positioning. Depending on who my next opponent is. I always consider the advice from the assistant manager here, which I hardly ever do elsewhere in the game.

When it comes to general training, it's pretty simple. After rotating between fitness and team cohesion (high to very high) in pre-season, I change it to balanced (average) for the rest of the season.

As far as the slider which indicates the level of match training vs. the level of general training, I have the slider one notch to the left towards more match training throughout the entire season.

Teamtalks:

Mostly I always inform my side that I expect a win or want them to continue where they left off (in a calm or assertive way). In matches where my team is the clear underdog, I usually tell my players to go out and impress everyone (again in a calm and assertive way). As for the individual team talks, I usually tell every player that I either have faith in him (calm/assertive), or that I expect to see more of the same (calm/assertive).

At half time, I tend to use common sense. If I'm confident we'll win, even though we're trailing, I'll tell them (calm/assertive). But if the play has not been up to scratch I don't hesitate in utilizing the hair dryer (aggressive/assertive) and telling them I expect better. I'll also sweeten the blow/boost the player's egos by repeating that I have faith in them (calm/assertive) in the individual team talks.

As far as subs go, I normally tell them I have faith in them or that I want them to pick up where they left off (calm/assertive).

At full time, it's more or less the same as half time. Use common sense, and very rarely consider your assistant's input. I hardly ever single out players for praise or scorn after a game, and I usually tend to keep my full time team talks free of individual feedback.

General Tips:

- Don't tweak your tactics too much during games. I very rarely substitute earlier than the 65th minute, unless someone gets injured, or I'm 4-0 up at half time, wanting to rest some key players. However, if you're facing a considerably weaker side at home and somehow seem to be struggling, I would definitely make one or two subs at half time.

- I also very rarely substitute slightly injured players unless their fitness % is below 65. And I always give them 5-10 minutes to see if it gets back up before considering substituting them.

- If my team gets a red card or someone gets injured after my final substitution, I tend to sacrifice one of the two CMs, making it a 4-4-1 with two offensive wingers. I also always change it to the Control version of the tactic if this occurs, no matter who I'm playing.

- It's both necessary and important to rotate your squad. However, make sure you don't make too many changes in the starting XI from game to game. Especially in important or difficult ones. For instance, if your best right winger is tired and has a condition rating of 87% before the a title decider, I would still start him ahead of the back up.

I hope you like the tactic, and would greatly appreciate any feedback!

Cheers,

MJ

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all!

Thanks for all the questions and comments. Stuck at work for the time being, but will post screenshots of league tables from all my seasons at Standard later on.

As far as goal spread, my main striker usually scores plenty of goals (25-35) a season, as do my wingers (10-15) and a few of the central midfielders (10-12). Will post screenshots of this as well.

I also see you've noticed that all the attacking players are set to a support duty, but both full backs are on automatic duty, which makes them attacking in this tactic. They are very important. I would actually say that my left back in particular (Kostas Stafyladis, on loan from Leverkusen all three seasons) was my most invaluable player.

All my players, including defenders and central midfielders, are set to "ease off tackles", as I found my team commited way too many fouls with a tight marking/high pressing game unless I had this instruction toggled.

Cheers,

MJ

Interesting . How is the tactic working for you at Madrid?

Oh, and I haven't started the season with Madrid yet. Played a few pre-season fixtures, and beat Bayern Munich without half my starting XI and some of the players out of position.

Question to everyone. I dont like Auto Duty. I dont like seeing it :)

Is it legit choosing how the tactic translates the auto duty, through availiable/unavailiable personal instructions?

Or more simple, are dutys translated through the Support Wingers (so they will be attack) or mentality (so in Control tac it will be support, and in Attack, Attack)?

What type of players do you play in each position? For example do you like your centre backs to be quick? What type of central midfielders work best? As for wingers, does it work better if right footers play on the right and left footers on the left? Fast striker? Strong striker? Technical striker?

This'll give you an idea

My best DC (inexplicably sold to Marseille for less than what I bought him for after my departure)

My best FB (loan ended after three consecutive seasons, now sold to Lazio by Leverkusen)

My best DM (not by any means a great player, but did the job even in the CL)

My best MC (stats not that great, but always played well)

My best winger (class player, couldn't believe I got him as cheaply as I did. 5 million)

My best striker (great player, sold to Leverkusen for shitloads of money)

In general I like quick to quickish players in all positions, but I'm not obsessed by pace. I prefer hard working and skilful players first (in all positions), and pace and strength is sort of secondary. I also look for players with a high determination rate and other high mental attributes. Oh, and young players are great. My average squad member age at Standard was always around 23-25 years.

I've started the season at Real Madrid, and it's going scarily well. Seeing as I'm at a top club now, I figured I'd go with the attacking version of the tactic, and I've played every single game with it for 90 minutes. I've also rotated quite heavily to blood new players, and it's been a joy to watch my team so far. And to top it all off, the tactic familiarity is not even at 50% yet. 14-1 goal difference, maximum points in the league and a Spanish super cup must surely qualify as a good start at Real Madrid.

Screenshot of results so far

Screenshot of my transfer business in the summer window

Screenshot of my squad pt. 1

Screenshot of my squad pt. 2

Just thought I'd update you on the Madrid season so far.

Results:

As you can see here, It's been a pretty good season so far. The only blemishes are frustrating home games against Sporting and Malaga (drawn) and a ridiculous home defeat to Villareal, whom I absolutely battered for 90 minutes. The highlight was of course trashing Barcelona 4-0 in the Camp Nou. League table here. Champions League group here. In 23 competitive games, my team stats are 19 W, 3 D, 1 L.

Goal spread:

The goals are pretty evenly spread out amongst the offensive players so far. The wingers score as much, if not more, than the strikers. Keep in mind I also rotate the front players a bit more than the defence, for instance. Benzema has been injured for me, so even though Icardi has played most of the games as a striker, Ronaldo has also been playing there a bit.

Assist spread:

Bale and Ronaldo have been selfless (yep!) and both provided me with 10 assists each. Goretzka (CM) has an impressive 5 assists from central midfield in only 16 games, where also Isco (CM), Illarramendi (DM) and Modric (CM) have been productive.

Team goals / conceded:

Having scored 39 in 15 games in the league (joint top with Barca), and only conceded 4, I must say I'm very happy. 18-1 goal difference in the CL is also pretty good, even though I had a quite easy group. With the two Super cup games against Atletico Madrid, my total goal difference in 23 competitive games is 61 - 6.

Tactical tweaks:

I've found that at home against weaker sides, I need to toggle "be more expressive" in the team instructions, as my only bad results of the season came exactly in these type of games. Other than that I've also experimented with exploiting the left flank instead of both flanks, as my left back (Digne) and Bale have been really good this season. I did the same thing at Standard with the Greek legend Stafylidis and Monaco cast away Lucas Ocampos running the show. I also realized we had yet to score from a corner, and changed the aim from near post to far post. Still haven't played a game with the new corner instructions, but here's hoping we can bag a few from corners, too.

I think you are onto something here mate . Here is a screenie of my results since i started using your tactics. From the cska moscow game onwards , 17 goals for 1 against . The Napoli defeat was a nothing game that I had qualified already and threw my reserves in.

Good job mate !

ManchesterUnited_FixturesSchedule.png

I think you are onto something here mate . Here is a screenie of my results since i started using your tactics. From the cska moscow game onwards , 17 goals for 1 against . The Napoli defeat was a nothing game that I had qualified already and threw my reserves in.

Good job mate !

ManchesterUnited_FixturesSchedule.png

As a lover of both United and offensive football, this pleases me immensely :)

I've tried the tactic and I like it so far, I only have one problem with it, and that's probably due to the shortcomings of my squad. My defenders are not particularly fast (around 10-12 pace and acc), and I keep seeing the ball lumped over them to faster strikers. I've tried lowering the d-line over the past two games and it's worked so far, but I don't really want to mess up the system. Do you think it could work in the long run?

I've tried the tactic and I like it so far, I only have one problem with it, and that's probably due to the shortcomings of my squad. My defenders are not particularly fast (around 10-12 pace and acc), and I keep seeing the ball lumped over them to faster strikers. I've tried lowering the d-line over the past two games and it's worked so far, but I don't really want to mess up the system. Do you think it could work in the long run?

I had really slow defenders the first season at Standard as well. But I usually played the control version and it worked out fine. My results and defensive record remarkably improved when I signed a few more pacey defenders, though.

Do you play left footed wingers on the left and right footed wngers on the right.

I don't really pay attention to it. I've had lefties on the right wing, and vice versa. It doesn't seem to matter, and the wingers score loads of goals and provide assists, too.

First season at Real went very well, by the way. Won the La Liga easily, and beat Barca in the CL final. Lost the Copa Del Rey final to Barca on penalties, but I'm very happy with a Spanish Super Cup, La Liga and CL treble :)

Yeah so it works very good the first season, terrible the second season if you're at the same club.

Quite the contrary. As you can see from the Standard/Real Madrid game, I found that the tactic actually improved both performance wise and results wise every year.

I have, just for fun, played a full season at Man Utd with the tactic (started a new game). And I won the PL very comfortably in the first year.

League Table: Screenshot

My central midfield wasn't good enough in the CL, and I lost out in the quarter finals to a very strong Juventus side. I also lost the league cup final on penalties to Spurs, after Phil Jones was sent off in the 37th minute. In the FA cup I lost 1-0 away to Arsenal in the quarter final, admittedly with a reserves dominated team as I had a very important CL game against Juve to focus on three days later.

My first XI last season was: De Gea - Rafael (DR) - Jones (DC) - Evans (DC) - Evra (DL) - Carrick (DM) - Fellaini (MC) - Lucas Romero (MC) - Mata (AMR) - Rooney (AML) - RvP (ST)

A few players being played out of position, such as Carrick, Mata and Rooney, coupled with Fellaini as my star MC and a very young Romero, still was more than good enough to walk the PL.

All in all I'm very happy with the tactic at United, and now that I've done some serious squad rebuilding ahead of the 2014/15 season, I'm sure I'll have a good crack at the CL this year.

I only used attacking with United, and mostly toggled the "be more expressive" instruction, too. When I'm a top team, I never use the control version. United are a top team, even with a semi dodgy central midfield :)

I must, however, say that RvP disappointed me. He might just be a tad too lazy to work as a defensive forward. Rooney scored more and provided more assists from AML than RvP did. And the dutchman was also injured quite a bit. I'm giving him one more season to prove himself, or else he's off.

Update on my Anderlecht game:

Won league with this tactic in season 17/18 (started using it halfway through the season).

won 8 of the 10 Playoff games and 2 draws

Second season I'm second in the league with 13W 2D 5L (2 points behind) and ended tirth in group phase of the championsleague (missed second spot by 1 point, but did beat Barca at home and draw away)

I think the reason I'm not leading is because my bench is awfull, I have to put in alot of worthless -21 players because of the "minimum 6 home-grown players"

I just have to say WOW. Have won Russian league 5 times in a row now with a mediocre team Kuban Krasnodar, always getting out of my group in Champions League, maybe not always from first place, but still. Now I beat Bayer Munich and Atletico Madrid in the playoffs. Great tactic.

Have to say that the defensive forward, from my experience it's best to use a target man type of player with decent pace... most of the goals come from crosses, and many headers. So it's good to have a tall, strong player with good heading and anticipation and decent pace.

A thing I noticed about this tactic is that you control the ball so good that the opposition most of the games don't manage to create anything. Against worse teams sometimes I have games where we have the ball 75% of the time and the opposition have 0 shots :D. When I concede goals most of the come from set peaces (freekicks and corners).

If you are still looking for a good corner routine I have found the routine Mr Hough uses in in his 14.3 tactic to be quite succesful and a bit different to the bomb it in the box and hope strategy. I am going to give this a try with a Liverpool save and probably implement that corner routine.

Update on my Anderlecht game:

Won league with this tactic in season 17/18 (started using it halfway through the season).

won 8 of the 10 Playoff games and 2 draws

Second season I'm second in the league with 13W 2D 5L (2 points behind) and ended tirth in group phase of the championsleague (missed second spot by 1 point, but did beat Barca at home and draw away)

I think the reason I'm not leading is because my bench is awfull, I have to put in alot of worthless -21 players because of the "minimum 6 home-grown players"

Yeah, you're probably right. No tactic can compensate for adequate squad depth. Very important! Great to hear you won the league, though :)

I just have to say WOW. Have won Russian league 5 times in a row now with a mediocre team Kuban Krasnodar, always getting out of my group in Champions League, maybe not always from first place, but still. Now I beat Bayer Munich and Atletico Madrid in the playoffs. Great tactic.

Have to say that the defensive forward, from my experience it's best to use a target man type of player with decent pace... most of the goals come from crosses, and many headers. So it's good to have a tall, strong player with good heading and anticipation and decent pace.

A thing I noticed about this tactic is that you control the ball so good that the opposition most of the games don't manage to create anything. Against worse teams sometimes I have games where we have the ball 75% of the time and the opposition have 0 shots :D. When I concede goals most of the come from set peaces (freekicks and corners).

Wow, that's so cool to hear. It definitely seems to work in most leagues and with different level of talent in the side. However, it's a quite demanding tactic for the players, so squad depth (strength in numbers) is important :)

How would you use a playmaking type MC/AMC IN THIS TACTIC? Can the perform in the BBM role?

Yeah. For instance, at Real Madrid I had Isco playing as the left MC (with training for new position MC). He was really good, provided both goals and assists! Isco has quite good ratings for a BBM, though. I tend not to sign/use the smaller technical guys with low stamina rating, AKA the classic AMCs. Unless they can play on the wing and are really good, I usually ship them off somewhere else. Same goes for strikers with low off the ball, stamina and team work ratings.

Yeah, you're probably right. No tactic can compensate for adequate squad depth. Very important! Great to hear you won the league, though :)

Still won the league with 7 points clear :-) and also won the cup!

Now I've moved to Real Sociedad, I'll keep you posted how it goes

Archived