new save

Which country should I manage in?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which country should I manage in?

I'm thinking of starting a new save on FM 13 and wondering which country to choose. It's going to be a smaller European nation, so if you had the choice, which country would you choose and why?

I am playing in San Marino, (club and Country), and absolutely loving it. For this reason I have voted San Marino.

The only other Nation I would vote for would be Liechtenstein/FC Vaduz and also you have forgotten about Gibraltar.

With each of these 3 you could marry up both managing the Nation but also controlling the club side to help grow and develop your youngsters.

Malta, Andorra, & Faroes don't have the club link within the game and I think that might prove a pretty frustrating save, (even long-term). Not too sure if Iceland league is playable, but if it is then I would say that's an option, otherwise like the last 3 mentioned then no.

Switzerland shouldn't be on the list. Far too good to be compared to some of these others.

My reasoning behind Switzerland was FC Vaduz, as they play in the Swiss leagues. My choices would be either Malta, Andorra or Liechtenstein/FC Vaduz, but I wanted to see what other people thought about the leagues. I was indeed thinking of doing the club and the nation as this would add an extra aspect to it as I very rarely manage a national team (can't even remember the last time i did...).

Never seen the Liechtenstein challenge before, looks good. Might download the Swiss database so I can get one of the lower tier Liechtenstein teams. I'm always up for a challenge and another challenge I always set myself is only players from that city (or country in Liechtenstein's case :D ) or from the youth system can play in the first team (after the older players have been phased out, and a few loans in the first few seasons to get me started). The one thing that puts me slightly off San Marino, and to a lesser extent Andorra and Gibraltar, is that it's quite a popular choice and I like doing something a little different. So maybe Liechtenstein or Malta...

I'm currently having a career in the Faroes, and it's quite interesting, albeit equally frustrating due to the lack of quality, facilities and money.

The biggest challenge is that the league pyramid has very few "actual teams", while the lower divisions mostly consist of II and III teams from Top Division sides, thus reducing noticeably the talent pool, which, to put it mildly, is already very very thin.

Also, the absence of better neighbour countries and clubs will prevent you from making good money with pre-season friendlies and/or from building up morale with easy wins against non-leaguers.

(at least not until you'll be rich enough to afford a tour to Iceland, IF you'll ever be rich enough...)

Ongoing career at Undrið FF

P.S. Iceland would be way too easy compared to those other challenges...

I'm currently having a career in the Faroes, and it's quite interesting, albeit equally frustrating due to the lack of quality, facilities and money.

The biggest challenge is that the league pyramid has very few "actual teams", while the lower divisions mostly consist of II and III teams from Top Division sides, thus reducing noticeably the talent pool, which, to put it mildly, is already very very thin.

Also, the absence of better neighbour countries and clubs will prevent you from making good money with pre-season friendlies and/or from building up morale with easy wins against non-leaguers.

(at least not until you'll be rich enough to afford a tour to Iceland, IF you'll ever be rich enough...)

Ongoing career at Undrið FF

P.S. Iceland would be way too easy compared to those other challenges...

Was just looking up the Faroe league and was really tempted by Undrið FF!! Great minds and all that :lol:

Archived