Do you change your tactics?

Do you change your tactics  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Do you change your tactics

• I change it for each match, depending on who I'm playing
    • I change it for special matches, like a title winner, or a final
    • I never change my tactics
    • Other (please post)

What I mean is do you change you tactics for different games? Say for example you were a big club, like Man Utd, would you play a different game against Chelsea than you would against say Bolton.

I've been thinking about this, because I only ever change my tactics in a match, if I'm losing or I need to get a goal. Otherwise, I go into each game with the same tactics. I sort out my tactics for the season and I stick with it for the whole season.

As Man. United manager, I find that the same tactic is by-and-large sufficient for most games. The quality of my players seems to be enough. However, I do tweak here and there. In particular, I'm a lot less gung-ho away to Chelsea than I would be at home to Fulham, for example. (No disrespect to Fulham.:))

i keep the same formation, tweak team settings depending on my scout report. when the AI changes to 4-2-4 i never have a problem just adjust the sliders.i had my longest games with out losing streak (38) using them this way.Btw i play as sunderland.

I try not to change my tactics, but as I never seem to find one that works consistently I tend to make minor (or major) changes throughout the season in an attempt to salvage some points. I never used to do this in earlier versions, but have not had much success with 08.

If I have a narrow lead with about ten minutes left, I alter my 4-4-2 slightly. I'll bring on an extra centre-back, play with three of them, push my full-back ever so slightly up, drop a midfielder into a more defensive position (in line with the full-backs), then have a line of three midfielders further forwards and one striker up front.

I find it works extremely well.

I have 3 tactic sets but don't change them that much for who I'm playing. I have a narrow 4-4-2 diamond which I start off with, and I just alter the d-line and mentality of the full backs slightly as I go through the game and depending on who I am playing. I also have a 5-4-1 for protecting leads which I believe is about 90% effective against 4-2-4 (so, yes, it is possible) and a 4-3-3 which I use as a last ditch attempt which is around 60% effective.

I change them for every match.

Yes, it's a bit pedantic to say, perhaps, but the game is Football Manager and if you're calling yourself a manager, you should probably do as managers do IRL. Sometimes I get it wrong in my changes and probably would have been better off leaving the tactic as is, but gaffers IRL don't always (or ever, if you're Curbs) get it right. On the whole, though, tactics tailored to the week's opponents help turn losses into draws, and draws into wins, far more often than the other way round.

Certainly the more casual player may find this constant tinkering tedious. Personally I find tactical adjustment rewarding, but it's all down to personal preference, interest, and what you most enjoy about playing.

I tend to find a tactic my players are comfortable with and play that every match. If I'm losing, drawing or winning by only 1 goal at half time, I change my tactics then. After a while my tactics do get cracked so I change to another. I have 3 key ones that I start with.

I only change dramatically when I'm playing a far inferior team to try and slaughter them and beat my record score. I'm mean to the little guys. Except when I'M the little guy of course.

I'll change Tactics depending on injuries and substitutions, but going into the games I'll keep it more or less the same. Generally I only have one striker on the bench, so if I've used him and one gets injured I'll change the formation to accomodate whoever I have on the bench, so as to avoid playing anyone out of poisition. Other than that, only when I'm struggling in a game against a big team, as I generally have enough faith in my team to sort it out themselves

With big teams I generally keep 1 tactic (with 1 or 2 variants to provide an alternative approach during a match if needed), though I do 'research' every opponent and might make slight adjustments based on that.

With other teams (from LLM all the way to subtop) I generally have 3 or 4 sets of tactics, of which I use 1 or 2 (depending on the team and the competition) the most.

I always keep my basic set-up and only tinker the details according to the opposition, i.e. higher or deeper defense, slower passing and maýbe change my MC with a barrow to a DMC.

In game I react to the needs. All-defensive when the AI switches to 424 and more offensive when I need to score.

i always play my trusty 3-1-2-2-2 ... except against united when i play 4-1-2-2-1 just because 3 at the back against them is risky.. both very counter attacking with short passes using widman.. suprisingly neigther seem to leak many goals.

leagueeeeeecf5.png

leagueeeeeecf5.564657f157.jpg

3-1-2-2-2

31222vm1.th.png

4-1-2-2-1

41221jg8.th.png

I like to keep the same tactic all the time, although I will tweak it during the match if I need to.

Same here. I play a 4141, but will tweak it in-game as the situation, opposition's formation, and personnel vary. In most cases, those changes include pushing up wingers to attack, playing through the middle, and adjusting my mentality (def/off).

I tweak my tactics every game, but not the formation.

For example;

Against a tougher opponent, I'll make changes accordingly, and take a different approach when facing a weaker opponent.

I would assume every good manager would tweak their tactics at some point during the season since IRL teams do "learn and prepare" from other teams tactics by watching and scouting them. After all, isn't that the point of scouting your opponents; to watch how they play and see how you can take advantage of their tactics?

So many people confuse tactics with formation. I have one formation, 5-3-2 which doesn't vary. However before every game I tweak my tactics depending on my players, the opposition, weather and other variables. What's more I further tweak many times during the game as I respond to the opposition. It's what the game is all about.

I always play the same tactics. On my rangers league i played the same tactic for four years. It was a 4-1-4-1 I would only change it slighty like if i was playing celtic away from home. I would start the game and see how the first 20 minutes go and if its bad move my DM up and play a 4-5-1. Same for all games really. Worked well. I have a firm disbelieve in dramaticly changes tactics. Dont think my team would have a clue if a said to them "right boys 4-3-3 today"

I only use 2 tactics nothing else, i always alter my team talk according to opponent and form

and i always use the opposition instructions, kind of OCD with it actually...

i'm mainly using one for league and one for Europe (where im not strong enough to attack thier solid defences:P)

So many people confuse tactics with formation. I have one formation, 5-3-2 which doesn't vary. However before every game I tweak my tactics depending on my players, the opposition, weather and other variables. What's more I further tweak many times during the game as I respond to the opposition. It's what the game is all about.

Is formation not at least a component of a tactic?

I agree with the above post (by phnompenhandy), I keep the same formation for the majority of the matches, but i tweak the sliders to alter the tactics they play in that match nearly every game.

I think changing formation too often can cause problems for your team, where as keeping the same formation and changing the mentality of the formation does not, in my experience any way.

Would be interested to compare the reults of the different selections, I change every match but thats because I have an Away and Home tactic set up for any team I manage. neither vary much just in Defensive line, mentality, width and CA ticked normally with the forward runs toned down, still have the same formation with sam personel

Archived